Football

5 minutes ago, JonM said:

Yes, seen it on twitter. Brave to actually name names when you're accusing your landlord of violating Russian sanctions and so forth.

I think they may have had bubbling issues for quite some time!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

48 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

There are screen grabs on social media.

Basically, because of modern slavery and murder *and a whole lot more*, they've had to suspend playing for the time being.

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Bloody hell, just read that and it is mad. They just need Prince Andrew/Epstein connection and its pretty much all there...

Isn't it?

Locally, I thought we'd got the best when Saltdean put out a rather vague statement that they'd ceased all connections with a couple of people who, when you googled (they didn't lay it all out like Staines), had just been caught in a police snare as members of a serious organised crime gang.

But it's tame in comparison. No Russians at all.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

91,000 bl00dy hell impressive. How long before Women's soccer is the 2nd biggest team sport on the planet?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60934500

The tickets were either free or very cheap but, either way, it's impressive.

PSG are playing at the Stade de France right now and it looks very full.

But, in both cases, it's not just the crowd, it's the atmosphere that's going along with it.

Also, all UWCL games are free in the UK on DAZN YouTube. I had the Barca game on for a bit - another 100,000 watching that way. (And, apparently, same again on the Spanish commentary channel).

EDIT

It's actually good ticket selling from PSG and camera work from the team there because it's 'only' 27,000 in the ground. Atmosphere still superb though.

Edited by gingerjon

On 26/03/2022 at 20:15, gingerjon said:

I'm absolutely the wrong person to ask because I'm very much into sport for the fun and whimsy. I'm hopeless when it comes to tactics, personnel and the like.

Going on what smarter people than me have written about this Australian team though ... it looks like they're in trouble. The analysis is that Football Australia have strangled the talent pathway (for the men, the women seem to be okay) and that is now being reflected in performances where they stand no chance of winning - and now being in Asia (their choice) it means they can't blood people in games v American Samoa and the like.

Thanks for the reply.

They need to beat UAE and then Peru to qualify. I saw a bit of the Peru game last night and they looked useful.

The African play offs were very dramatic. There seems a real hostility between the North and Sub Saharans. 

7 hours ago, Niels said:

Thanks for the reply.

They need to beat UAE and then Peru to qualify. I saw a bit of the Peru game last night and they looked useful.

The African play offs were very dramatic. There seems a real hostility between the North and Sub Saharans. 

A few laser pointers at Mo Salah before his missed penalty I saw.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Good stuff . I think I can now say we all agree we will definitely win the World Cup  

I'm hopeful but the Tonga semi is gonna be tough. Still, a full Emirates is gonna make it an incredible game with an unbelievable atmosphere! 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

A big win for Oldham at Stevenage yesterday. I think that definitely could be the nail in the coffin for Stevenage now, they can’t get a win anywhere whilst most of the other clubs above them are picking up victories. That is all but Barrow but their goal difference is far better than Boro’s. 

On 01/04/2022 at 18:49, DavidM said:

Good stuff . I think I can now say we all agree we will definitely win the World Cup  

Win the group then, all going to form, R16 Senegal, QF France, SF Belgium, Final Brazil.

Easy

Speaking of Everton this tickled me. 

Another Everton fact today

Since Everton last scored at Stamford Bridge, Christian Eriksen has scored there, moved to Italy, scored a hatrick, won the Serie A, died, come back to life, returned to the PL and scored there again

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Who did Lampard blame this time?

I think he said everyone played well can’t fault the effort sort of thing. Considering how important the game is this week that’s all he could say. 

On 03/04/2022 at 18:58, bobbruce said:

Speaking of Everton this tickled me. 

Another Everton fact today

Since Everton last scored at Stamford Bridge, Christian Eriksen has scored there, moved to Italy, scored a hatrick, won the Serie A, died, come back to life, returned to the PL and scored there again

Last time Everton scored at Stamford Bridge Harold was holding off the Vikings there 

23 hours ago, bobbruce said:

I think he said everyone played well can’t fault the effort sort of thing. Considering how important the game is this week that’s all he could say. 

Yeah I don't think the "the players are not putting the effort in" isn't going to work, even if that is what he thinks.

I quite like Everton, but I would find it hilarious to see Lampard to get relegated.