Football

4 hours ago, Josef K said:

The non-league game is very strong in Warrington at the mo, i think Rylands have done really well. Widnes are doing well with the gates they get. Cables have got a battle to stay up but they had a excellent turnout for the derby match against Marine. I wonder if the FAC run Marine had last season(was it in 2020/21) has helped them financially to get players in. They are the only side currently in the NPL 1 West averaging over 1,100, but Workington crowds are up around 80% on last year. Wasnt there talk a few years back “Route 66” about the RL & Football clubs sharing a new stadium in Workington ?. 

A new stadium of sorts is still on the agenda not the grand scheme of the sort that should have been for the world cup but a more scaled down version which essentially will be a phased upgrade of reds borough park,unfortunately this will mean town leaving derwent park. They are still at early stages but have 5 million from the government levelling up fund to start with. Only time will tell

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Another big Burnley win and suddenly Leeds might feel nervous too.

leeds have man city arsenal and chelsea to play in their end of season run in - this could be interesting 

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

15 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Another big Burnley win and suddenly Leeds might feel nervous too.

For Leeds the attitude has to be to try win every game. 

6 left, Palace tonight, Man City Home Arsenal Away, Chelsea Home, Brighton home and Brentford away.

3 of those should definitely be winnable. Indeed those games should be earmarked as "must win". Chelsea could potentially field a weakened side with Champions League and FA Cup considerations. City and Arsenal will have League position to play for but Arsenal particularly aren't invulnerable. If Leeds can get close to 10 points from those 6 games that would be an excellent return and would secure safety.

Everton's run in still looks scary considering they are chasing points.

10 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

6 left, Palace tonight, Man City Home Arsenal Away, Chelsea Home, Brighton home and Brentford away.

3 of those should definitely be winnable. Indeed those games should be earmarked as "must win". Chelsea could potentially field a weakened side with Champions League and FA Cup considerations. City and Arsenal will have League position to play for but Arsenal particularly aren't invulnerable. If Leeds can get close to 10 points from those 6 games that would be an excellent return and would secure safety.

Surely Chelsea are out of the CL?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

5 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

I think Everton are cooked… 

This one is interesting. Everton could be relegated on the back of two dodgy ref's decisions.

There was a penalty appeal turned down at 0-0 against Liverpool and a similarly iffy non-penalty against Man City about a month or two ago. (I'm a City fan and I thought that one was the wrong decision)

In the age of VAR, it seems that RL isn't the only sport with *cough!* technical problems.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

This one is interesting. Everton could be relegated on the back of two dodgy ref's decisions.

There was a penalty appeal turned down at 0-0 against Liverpool and a similarly iffy non-penalty against Man City about a month or two ago. (I'm a City fan and I thought that one was the wrong decision)

In the age of VAR, it seems that RL isn't the only sport with *cough!* technical problems.

Both wrong decisions , but as an Everton fan I can say if we get relegated it will be on the back of being totally rubbish since September and being spineless in way to many away games , as well as being ran as a total basket case . After 38 games you get what you deserve . I’m clinging onto hope but I fear they’re on such a slide it’s hard to pull out of it . I’d be devastated if they go down though as I genuinely never ever thought I’d see it . Lots of people need to look in the mirror and be held to account 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

I tend to think Everton will get relegated due to being awful all year, being incompetently run, and collectively forcing out a good, experienced manager due to ideological reasons - and then replacing him with an incompetent bloke living off his playing glories. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Two very good, honest replies from DavidM and GeordieSaint. Thank you both.

• Like 1

Richarlison and Pickford infuriated me yesterday with one of them surely having the lowest pain threshold in human history (constantly on the ground), and the other timewasting from the moment he first touched the ball (although all keepers do it in that situation).

Having watched Everton quite a lot during this relegation scrap, I have been impressed by the desire, speed and technique of Anthony Gordon in every game he’s featured.  They need more characters like him.

I still wouldn’t rule out ‘the Ev’ doing enough to get out of the mess they’re in, but the margin for error is getting fine now.

As for the title run in then I think I’d still rather be in City’s position with the point and the more straight forward looking fixtures.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I reckon 7 points will be enough for Leeds although those fixtures look tough and even Palace, Brighton and Brentford seem to have found some form.

Burnley have momentum now and Everton will look at their home games and Watford now (as Sky’s panel said on Sunday).

What’s the news on the injury front for Leeds?

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I reckon 7 points will be enough for Leeds although those fixtures look tough and even Palace, Brighton and Brentford seem to have found some form.

Burnley have momentum now and Everton will look at their home games and Watford now (as Sky’s panel said on Sunday).

What’s the news on the injury front for Leeds?

Yeah I agree 7pts probably does it, if not 6. 

Philips is back starting tonight, though Forshaw is out for the season. Still no Bamford but Gelhardt is back on the bench too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Richarlison and Pickford infuriated me yesterday with one of them surely having the lowest pain threshold in human history (constantly on the ground), and the other timewasting from the moment he first touched the ball (although all keepers do it in that situation).

Having watched Everton quite a lot during this relegation scrap, I have been impressed by the desire, speed and technique of Anthony Gordon in every game he’s featured.  They need more characters like him.

I still wouldn’t rule out ‘the Ev’ doing enough to get out of the mess they’re in, but the margin for error is getting fine now.

As for the title run in then I think I’d still rather be in City’s position with the point and the more straight forward looking fixtures.

I know they are in a hole but they made it an ugly game to watch. I’m not sure how with a few minutes left the ref can book a player for taking 30 seconds over a restart but then allow a team to clearly waste time from the first minute. Nice to see Alisson’s got a sense of humour when he jokingly copied Pickford at 2-0. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Listening to Jamie Carragher infuriated me more . Remember when commentators were impartial . Sky have an interesting strategy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

(trimmed)

I agree with the first point - having the point in the bag is better than having to rely on your opponent dropping a point. However, I've followed City for over 60 years and they have found banana skins where no banana has ever been (Crystal Palace seem to smack us on a regular basis, but I'm not aware of an equivalent for Liverpool). Anyway, I hope we don't come a cropper before the season's end, but my fingers are very tightly crossed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Listening to Jamie Carragher infuriated me more . Remember when commentators were impartial . Sky have an interesting strategy

Yes, they seemed to have given up on having neutral co-commentators.

Don’t know if it’s a deliberate championing of Neville and Carragher but it’s not very considerate for fans of other teams.

Theres a lot of under representation in the commentary booth.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, they seemed to have given up on having neutral co-commentators.

Don’t know if it’s a deliberate championing of Neville and Carragher but it’s not very considerate for fans of other teams.

Theres a lot of under representation in the commentary booth.

For as long as I can remember there has been an over representation of ex-Liverpool players, even Match of the Day had Hansen and Lawrenson on the same panel for a long time.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Damien said:

For as long as I can remember there has been an over representation of ex-Liverpool players, even Match of the Day had Hansen and Lawrenson on the same panel for a long time.

Before that time I felt that Manchester United’s media presence was always at odds with their actual success on the field.  

I seem to remember Bryan Robson in particular being fixated upon and a general overplay of their achievements in the 70’s and 80’s.

I think what you experienced was that Hansen and Lawrenson reflected that Liverpool dominated much of the 1970s and 1980s although I can imagine that it wasn’t easy to listen to in the 1990s as a Manchester United fan.

I think Hansen himself was a good pundit, but I’m not sure even a lot of Liverpool fans wanted both doing MOTD as it did breed resentment.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

9 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Before that time I felt that Manchester United’s media presence was always at odds with their actual success on the field.  

I seem to remember Bryan Robson in particular being fixated upon and a general overplay of their achievements in the 70’s and 80’s.

I think what you experienced was that Hansen and Lawrenson reflected that Liverpool dominated much of the 1970s and 1980s although I can imagine that it wasn’t easy to listen to in the 1990s as a Manchester United fan.

I think Hansen himself was a good pundit, but I’m not sure even a lot of Liverpool fans wanted both doing MOTD as it did breed resentment.

I actually always liked Hansen too. I dont mind Souness either. I thought Lawrenson was as dull as dishwater and I dont see what Carragher offers.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

So not altogether a successful English/Scottish Euro week.

Liverpool should be okay, but Man City may have blown it despite winning 4-3. West Ham and Rangers lost and Leicester dew. My guesses for the finals, 

Liverpool vs Real Madrid 

West Ham vs Leipzig

Roma vs Marseille 

Edited by HawkMan