Football

33 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yet another big win for Burnley and Leeds need to carry their form into some huge games now.

No margin for error for Everton either with their easier looking run in.

Villa aren't entirely out of it if they lose their two games against Burnley.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JonM said:

Villa aren't entirely out of it if they lose their two games against Burnley.

Villa safe now with that win. 11 points clear of Everton have hit the 40 pts and now above Southampton and Brentford. Norwich gone Watford gone this week so down to 3 for the last spot Everton Leeds and Burnley. Everton need a miracle I think Burnley are picking points up and will likely run clear. Everton and Leeds although much improved don’t seem to be able to get a run of points. Games in hand for Everton are fine but at this stage of the season I’d take the 5pt advantage Leeds hold. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Villa safe now with that win.

Yes, they badly needed it after their previous 5 results.

I wasn't a fan of sacking Sean Dyche, but three wins and a draw for Burnley since then.

Six months ago the owners of Coventry United decided that would voluntarily liquidate the women's (but not the men's) team midseason. It took a scramble but they were saved with minutes to spare. They were deducted 10 points.

Understandably rooted to the bottom of the second tier for most of the season, they somehow got to a position where if they beat Watford on the last day of the season then they would stay up and Watford go down.

It was 0-0 seven minutes into injury time ...

Sport, eh? Love it.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 01/05/2022 at 20:46, bobbruce said:

Villa safe now with that win. 11 points clear of Everton have hit the 40 pts and now above Southampton and Brentford. Norwich gone Watford gone this week so down to 3 for the last spot Everton Leeds and Burnley. Everton need a miracle I think Burnley are picking points up and will likely run clear. Everton and Leeds although much improved don’t seem to be able to get a run of points. Games in hand for Everton are fine but at this stage of the season I’d take the 5pt advantage Leeds hold. 

Run in:

Burnley - 34 / GD -15 : A Villa (H), Tot HS (A), A Villa (A), Newc U (H).

Leeds - 34 / GD -34 : Arsn (A), Chel (H), Bri (H), Brent (A).

Everton - 32 / GD -20 : Leic (A), Watf (A), Brent (H), Cry P (H), Arsn (A).

Burnley have the best differential but two A Villa games is interesting.

Leeds have the worst GD and a tricky run in.

Everton are two points behind but have one extra game.  

It's very close but I'd say Leeds are the most vulnerable, by a whisker. Then Everton and Burnley the safest. 

• Like 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

8 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Liverpool qualify for the Champions League final following the ultimate game of two halves against Villarreal.

An emotional rollercoaster and rare Jekyll and Hyde showing by the Reds.

The Villarreal keeper will never want to speak of it again! 

I think Liverpool are trying to manage their matches in an attempt to get four titles. The first half looked like they were happy to get through protecting their lead but it didn't go to script. They then took it to another level and Villareal were unable to go with them. 

1 hour ago, RayCee said:

Run in:

It's very close but I'd say Leeds are the most vulnerable, by a whisker. Then Everton and Burnley the safest. 

I'd agree with that assessment. Leeds need a miracle result or 2 against Arsenal and Chelsea.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I'd agree with that assessment. Leeds need a miracle result or 2 against Arsenal and Chelsea.

Don't worry about Leeds getting relegated. Leeds bring big crowds and glamour to the PL, Bournemouth just got promoted and there is already two teams on the South Coast and Bournemouth have a cr#p stadium,  so they'll be kept back and Leeds will be given a reprieve. Only joking! No serious sport thinks along those lines. 😇😉

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Don't worry about Leeds getting relegated. Leeds bring big crowds and glamour to the PL, Bournemouth just got promoted and there is already two teams on the South Coast and Bournemouth have a cr#p stadium,  so they'll be kept back and Leeds will be given a reprise. Only joking! No serious sport thinks along those lines. 😇😉

I think football is the only sport that doesn't need to think like that!

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I think football is the only sport that doesn't need to think like that!

Football does think like that. There’s loads of standards you have to meet to go up through the divisions. It’s just that most if not all the clubs meet those standards or get the help to meet them. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RayCee said:

Run in:

I wouldnt rule Brentford out yet - next three games v Saints, Everton and Leeds

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bobbruce said:

How have City blown that. 

MC are good at controlling games but don’t score enough. RM were poor and should have been out of the contest regardless of any comeback. Having said that, they have players that can hurt you if you are not clinical enough. The end was ridiculous and full credit to RM for pulling it off. Can they go all the way? They are not as good but Liverpool but if they can make the final, they can also win it.

10 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

I wouldnt rule Brentford out yet - next three games v Saints, Everton and Leeds

True. Brentford have 40 points. Apparently, since the 20 team comp came in for the 1995/96 season, 40 has almost always been enough. Two sides have been relegated with 40 and one with 42. So yes, Brentford aren’t absolutely guaranteed safety but they will likely survive for another season in the PL.

On 04/05/2022 at 06:59, RayCee said:

I think Liverpool are trying to manage their matches in an attempt to get four titles. The first half looked like they were happy to get through protecting their lead but it didn't go to script. They then took it to another level and Villareal were unable to go with them. 

It was a poor display by Liverpool in that first half with lots of forced and unforced errors in possession.

They also had a lot of joy targeting the full backs in the air particularly Andy Robertson against Etienne Capoue.  Ultimately both their first half goals were bad defensive lapses.

I never got the sense Liverpool were managing the game at that time more just struggling to get any rhythm going with their passing.

I think in the second half the Spanish side had to tire from all the pressing work they’d done, then the goalkeeping errors and conceding a goal seemed to take all the wind out of their sails as a team.

From there I thought Liverpool did control the game which became easier and easier for them, winning the tie with something to spare as the opposition became more ‘Villa’ than ‘Real’ at the end although their supporters never gave up.

5 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It was a poor display by Liverpool in that first half with lots of forced and unforced errors in possession.

They also had a lot of joy targeting the full backs in the air particularly Andy Robertson against Etienne Capoue.  Ultimately both their first half goals were bad defensive lapses.

I never got the sense Liverpool were managing the game at that time more just struggling to get any rhythm going with their passing.

I think in the second half the Spanish side had to tire from all the pressing work they’d done, then the goalkeeping errors and conceding a goal seemed to take all the wind out of their sails as a team.

From there I thought Liverpool did control the game which became easier and easier for them, winning the tie with something to spare as the opposition became more ‘Villa’ than ‘Real’ at the end although their supporters never gave up.

They definitely lacked rhythm in that first half. Was that just one of those things tha5 happens on occasions or not going into the game with a fully switched on mentality? 

5 hours ago, JohnM said:

It's in their DNA for as long as I can remember. ..and trust me, that's a very long time.

Agree with that, John. Over 60 years as a City fan and I've seen it all before, though that was one of their most spectacular ####-ups.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.