Football

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, a rollercoaster of emotions for both sets of fans especially with the penalty miss.

The four point gap essentially takes the goal difference out of the equation.

It comes down to whether Liverpool can win both games while City drop points at home to Villa.

I’d much rather be in Man City’s position and it’s probable that Liverpool will be weakened for the game with Southampton.

While it’s still possible though…

Sky said earlier that the penalty would have effectively won the title but I still think a point would have been necessary? 

At half time it felt as though City had lost the title but that wasn't necessarily the case either?

A lot of fans seemed to think Southampton could concede 9 or similar as they have done this twice previously. 

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yes - this would be c.1987. 1988 at a push.

I've just checked and their average this season is their highest for 20 years.

Yes about then . Going slightly off topic , when Man City left Maine Road , weren't Stockport interested in taking over the stadium .

4 minutes ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

Yes about then . Going slightly off topic , when Man City left Maine Road , weren't Stockport interested in taking over the stadium .

It's possible. I don't remember that but it sound like the kind of odd thing that does the rounds.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

Sale Sharks, surprise surprise, were too.

11 minutes ago, Niels said:

Sky said earlier that the penalty would have effectively won the title but I still think a point would have been necessary? 

At half time it felt as though City had lost the title but that wasn't necessarily the case either?

A lot of fans seemed to think Southampton could concede 9 or similar as they have done this twice previously. 

It looks like Salah and Van Dijk will be missing against Southampton plus there’s probably a need to rotate out others for fitness reasons.

You’re right that a win wouldn’t have absolutely clinched it for City, but asking a team to beat another team in the same league by 8 or 9 goals under these circumstances is a lot to ask.

I think as ever many who are judging the title race are over reacting to every scoreline/result and media sensationalism is everywhere.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, meast said:

They're winning aren't they?

They were winning in higher leagues in seasons with lower averages than now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Various posts deleted.

I'm a Rugby League fan, I don't know much about football, so I don't want to get dragged in here too often (if at all) to wave the moderating stick about, so please play nicely with each other.

Stick to discussing the game, not having a pop at each other, and all will be fine.

The ignore option is always available for those whose opinions you don't want to see.

Thanks.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If you missed the women's FA Cup final yesterday then you missed an absolute classic.

Everything a final should be.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/61458528

Cuthbert’s goal off the underside of the bar from outside the area a definite highlight there.

Great crowd too.

I’m looking forward to Liverpool women taking part in the WSL next year.

• Like 1

17 year old Blackpool forward Jake Daniels has become the only current openly gay male professional footballer according to Sky News.

Just watched an interview with him on Sky and he spoke brilliantly about his experience in an interview everyone should try and watch.

Hopefully this kind of thing will help normalise this sort of thing in men’s football.

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

17 year old Blackpool forward Jake Daniels has become the only current openly gay male professional footballer according to Sky News.

Just watched an interview with him on Sky and he spoke brilliantly about his experience in an interview everyone should try and watch.

Hopefully this kind of thing will help normalise this sort of thing in men’s football.

I read a really nice interview with some male professional academy players who were talking about how cool it was/is that there have been medal winning sides in women’s sports with partners and spouses playing alongside each other.

The kids are alright. Mostly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It's a brave thing to do but hopefully a positive step towards changing attitudes towards homosexuality in sport. It no doubt adds a lot of extra pressure and scrutiny, which can be particularly challenging for someone so young.

Inevitably there are plenty of comments on social media asking 'why is this news?'. The fact is it can't not be news. The only way things like this will stop being newsworthy is if it happens more and more frequently and people react with understanding and compassion and acceptance to the point where it's no longer a big deal. Right now, he's the only openly gay male footballer, so it is a big deal.

You also can't ignore the culture within football. You only have to think back to the start of the season (you probably don't even have to go that far back, sadly) where Liverpool fans sang homophobic chants towards Billy Gilmour. You still hear homophobic chants in games at or against Brighton.

It shouldn't be underestimated how difficult coming out can still be for anyone, but particularly for someone in football. Sadly though the only choices right now are to come out openly and publicly and face the attention, or forever have to hide that aspect of your life and never be seen out in public with a partner because newspapers would out you themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EagleEyePie said:

It's a brave thing to do but hopefully a positive step towards changing attitudes towards homosexuality in sport. It no doubt adds a lot of extra pressure and scrutiny, which can be particularly challenging for someone so young.

Inevitably there are plenty of comments on social media asking 'why is this news?'. The fact is it can't not be news. The only way things like this will stop being newsworthy is if it happens more and more frequently and people react with understanding and compassion and acceptance to the point where it's no longer a big deal. Right now, he's the only openly gay male footballer, so it is a big deal.

You also can't ignore the culture within football. You only have to think back to the start of the season (you probably don't even have to go that far back, sadly) where Liverpool fans sang homophobic chants towards Billy Gilmour. You still hear homophobic chants in games at or against Brighton.

It shouldn't be underestimated how difficult coming out can still be for anyone, but particularly for someone in football. Sadly though the only choices right now are to come out openly and publicly and face the attention, or forever have to hide that aspect of your life and never be seen out in public with a partner because newspapers would out you themselves.

It’s interesting that you reference the Liverpool fans in singing a commonly used song by some sets of fans to taunt Chelsea fans (Gilmour of course on loan at Norwich from Chelsea).

Klopp condemned the behaviour and there was a high profile club backed statement afterwards by the ‘Kop Outs’ LGBTQ+ supporters group.  You’ll never stop every individual but it definitely provoked a debate within the fanbase as to where the line is on this.

It was interesting that Gary Neville felt the biggest challenge could be faced by other gay players would not be from the stands, but gaining acceptance within the dressing room which he hinted in his Man Utd experience was a toxic alpha male type cauldron-environment on SSN.

He is retired though and you can only hope that managers like Neil Critchley at Blackpool (ex coach at Liverpool incidentally) can help create a culture where winning (the bottom line in pro sport) and acceptance/normalising of this will work.

Its been proven to be no barrier to sporting success elsewhere in sport so we should try to be hopeful.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

Jordan Rhodes has always been a decent goal scorer especially in his first spell at Huddersfield and then Blackburn. I don’t know if he is staying at Huddersfield next season but if he isn’t he’d be a good signing for any club below the Premier League. 

10 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It’s interesting that you reference the Liverpool fans in singing a commonly used song by most sets of fans to taunt Chelsea fans (Gilmour of course on loan at Norwich from Chelsea).

Klopp condemned the behaviour and there was a high profile club backed statement afterwards by the ‘Kop Outs’ LGBTQ+ supporters group.  You’ll never stop every individual but it definitely provoked a debate within the fanbase as to where the line is on this.

It was interesting that Gary Neville felt the biggest challenge could be faced by other gay players would not be from the stands, but gaining acceptance within the dressing room which he hinted in his Man Utd experience was a toxic alpha male type cauldron-environment on SSN.

He is retired though and you can only hope that managers like Neil Critchley at Blackpool (ex coach at Liverpool incidentally) can help create a culture where winning (the bottom line in pro sport) and acceptance/normalising of this will work.

Its been proven to be no barrier to sporting success elsewhere in sport so we should try to be hopeful.

I only referenced Liverpool fans because it just happened to be them in this instance. I remembered that Gilmour was subject to homophobic chants early in the season so googled it and discovered it was Liverpool fans on this occasion. It can happen anywhere at any club and is reflective of society rather than specific teams. I'm not surprised by Klopp calling it out - he's probably my favourite person in football even though I'm not a Liverpool fan.

Gary Neville's comments on the environment at Man Utd aren't a surprise. I remember Rio Ferdinand asking on Twitter why there weren't any openly gay footballers in the Premier League - well during his playing days he used a homophobic slur on a radio show. That was a few weeks after Paul Scholes was criticised for using a homophobic slur towards an opponent. That might go some way to answering his question. Yes, those incidents were a long time ago, but those are two players who are now high profile pundits. How can anyone really be sure that attitudes have changed, if indeed they have?

There's definitely reasons to be positive though and attitudes definitely seem to be improving, even if it's taking longer than it should.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

I only referenced Liverpool fans because it just happened to be them in this instance. I remembered that Gilmour was subject to homophobic chants early in the season so googled it and discovered it was Liverpool fans on this occasion. It can happen anywhere at any club and is reflective of society rather than specific teams. I'm not surprised by Klopp calling it out - he's probably my favourite person in football even though I'm not a Liverpool fan.

Gary Neville's comments on the environment at Man Utd aren't a surprise. I remember Rio Ferdinand asking on Twitter why there weren't any openly gay footballers in the Premier League - well during his playing days he used a homophobic slur on a radio show. That was a few weeks after Paul Scholes was criticised for using a homophobic slur towards an opponent. That might go some way to answering his question. Yes, those incidents were a long time ago, but those are two players who are now high profile pundits. How can anyone really be sure that attitudes have changed, if indeed they have?

There's definitely reasons to be positive though and attitudes definitely seem to be improving, even if it's taking longer than it should.

I agree with all that - my point about the Liverpool fans was probably clumsily made.  

Visible and vocal LGBTQ+ supporters groups are one of the most positive changes and the idea that ‘football is for everyone’ is slowly gaining traction.

Hopefully events like today can be a catalyst for more positive change.

• Like 1

I have just seen Paul Cooke’s interview with the BBC Radio Sheffield reporter Rob Stanton. To say he wasn’t happy with the questions Rob asked him was an understatement, in fact he wouldn’t ask any more of his questions because he said “they were too negative and instead he should be asking him about the buildup to the Woking game” (which was played yesterday). They had only won 1 out of the last nine games up until Sunday. Mr Stanton wouldn’t budge with what he wanted to ask so Cooke cancelled the interview. 

Nothing against Everton but please please get relegated,  I want to see Agent Rafa celebrating. 

" doing the hoovering, bumped into the television and Richarlison fell over!" Gold!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Forest v Sheffield United is 3-3 on aggregate. 12 minutes to go in second leg extra time.

If this goes to penalties it won't finish much before 11pm.

Magnificent.