Football

will Gerrard have all his focus on the man city game on Sunday? and not give a fig about tonight's Burnley match? after all he could have a massive say in Liverpool's title hopes if he beats the blues with his villains 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Gerrard will want to finish as high as possible in the table , Villa are currently 14th , a win tonight could take them up to 11th , Villa will go all out for a win tonight and only then concentrate on the Man City match , unfortunately , I think Burnley will get something from tonight's match , whether that's a win or a draw .

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

I think he’s very fortunate it’s 24 weeks and not 24 months . It was despicable , dangerous and cowardly . Could have had a very very bad outcome 

It seems very low considering the violence involved. Also not much of a deterrent.

More issues with running on the pitch tonight. 

Everton fans ran on after the 3rd goal causing delays, and then Port Vale fans have ran on after their playoff win and even got involved with scuffles with Swindon players. 

Not pretty at all. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

More issues with running on the pitch tonight. 

Everton fans ran on after the 3rd goal causing delays, and then Port Vale fans have ran on after their playoff win and even got involved with scuffles with Swindon players. 

Not pretty at all. 

The clubs and league need to be prepared to invest in proper stewarding - and the police enforcement even before they get in the ground needs to return to its previous efficient system.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I have a mate who is a vale fan who was at the game last night, he didn’t go onto the pitch and the majority stayed off it. But he said there was an element who were going to go onto the pitch win or lose, and with the ex-Vale player Mckirdy kicking his penalty up towards the moon, that sent some Vale fans into a frenzy then some of them headed straight for him. Vale have got a really nasty element he said and games like this brings them out in numbers, especially the far right loons (his words not mine). He can understand why some Stoke fans call the Vale the Vile.

I have always said that the FA clamp down on pitch invasions for most of the season, but when it comes to near the end and clubs are being saved from the drop, getting promoted, making play off finals, then it seems a blind eye was turned with hundreds of fans running on the pitch. Now they’re going to have too really clamp down heavy this time and keep doing that. 

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Much happen today?

I fixed some trellising to the outside wall when I got in from work to hopefully train a clematis across then moved a trough from under the kitchen window to the fence by the back gate and then have basically spent the rest of the day managing my airline on an online airline management simulator that I've played for years because I was wanting to streamline my fleet a bit more because I was flying both A220s and A320neos on my budget European routes so I've sold all the A220s and started replacing them with more A320s, a change that means I can run more business class pax and cut down on number of daily flights on some routes at least. 

You? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I fixed some trellising to the outside wall when I got in from work to hopefully train a clematis across then moved a trough from under the kitchen window to the fence by the back gate and then have basically spent the rest of the day managing my airline on an online airline management simulator that I've played for years because I was wanting to streamline my fleet a bit more because I was flying both A220s and A320neos on my budget European routes so I've sold all the A220s and started replacing them with more A320s, a change that means I can run more business class pax and cut down on number of daily flights on some routes at least. 

You? 

I don't think I can rival that TBH.

Did listen to the radio. They were getting *very* excited.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Congratulations to Man City for taking the PL title. 

I did a chart some years back that goes to the 1960/61 season and allocates 6,3,2,1 points to the top four clubs in each season. The up to date list, including the past ten seasons and the top ten clubs is below. The green shading indicates the team with the most accumulative points.  

Premier League Tot 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13

1 Liverpool F.C. 146 3 2 6 3 1 1     3  
2 Manchester Utd 145   3 2   3     1   6
3 Arsenal F.C. 81             3 2 1 1
4 Chelsea F.C. 62 2 1 1 2   6   6 2 2
5 Manchester City 61 6 6 3 6 6 2 1 3 6 3
6 Leeds Utd 42                    
7 Everton F.C. 39                    
8 Tottenham Hotsp 35 1     1 2 3 2      
9 Ipswich Town 20                    
10 Nottingham F 20                    
  • Like 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Congratulations to York City for getting back into the National League. Both York C & Boston Utd did well getting to the final because they were loads of pts behind the sides that finished above them at the end of the League campaign. It just shows how different it can be in a one off play off match. I wonder if the YCFC fans who said they wouldn’t go another match until their current chairman resigned, stayed away from the match yesterday and will be staying away next season ?. 

• Like 1

My betting on RL, Football, Cricket is abysmal. I put £5 on Wolves to beat LFC at 20/1. I had my hopes dashed after 23mins. 
But for once in a my betting history i actually won something with each way bets on WAFC 12/1, and the Millers 14/1. 
i think i will be getting rid of my Betfred App now the season is over, it’s a pain in the backside. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josef K said:

My betting on RL, Football, Cricket is abysmal. I put £5 on Wolves to beat LFC at 20/1. I had my hopes dashed after 23mins. 
But for once in a my betting history i actually won something with each way bets on WAFC 12/1, and the Millers 14/1. 
i think i will be getting rid of my Betfred App now the season is over, it’s a pain in the backside. 

You were unlucky as Wolves missed some good chances.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2022 at 21:53, Gerrumonside ref said:

Then it came down to two.

Just checking you are ok after the ups and downs of today. At least you have had success in the cups with one more to come. 

Here the Leeds match was the focus for most people of course. I've only ever heard such noise and cheering for England games before. The noise when Newcastle took the lead was loud and even more when Leeds scored. 

8 hours ago, Niels said:

Just checking you are ok after the ups and downs of today. At least you have had success in the cups with one more to come. 

Here the Leeds match was the focus for most people of course. I've only ever heard such noise and cheering for England games before. The noise when Newcastle took the lead was loud and even more when Leeds scored. 

Too soon!

I don’t think many Liverpool fans expected to win the league on the last day, but you always hoped it might happen.  

Arguably it would have been more disappointing had we been leading the league table at any point on the day only for City to reclaim top spot.  

I think ultimately we are all proud that we pushed City all the way while fighting on all four fronts this season as they are great champions.

Onto the big one in Paris now...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Too soon!

I don’t think many Liverpool fans expected to win the league on the last day, but you always hoped it might happen.  

Arguably it would have been more disappointing had we been leading the league table at any point on the day only for City to reclaim top spot.  

I think ultimately we are all proud that we pushed City all the way while fighting on all four fronts this season as they are great champions.

Onto the big one in Paris now...

Thanks for those generous words and good luck in Paris. Real are very dangerous when their backs are against the wall!

What has blown me away over the last few years is not so much that City and Liverpool have pushed each other to such high standards, but that no one else has really taken up the challenge. Maybe next year we will have a new challenger?

• Thanks 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I never know which Gallagher is Liam or which is Noel, but have they always followed City (H & A) or do they just go to the big games. I believe Johnny Marr was there yesterday as well, i didn’t even know he was a City fan. 
The fans who snapped one of the goals could be seen quite clearly damaging it, id love City to ban them for life. Why would they want to wreck it in the first place, and wreck something from the club they support. 

Think my blood pressure has just come down enough, but a manic final day and a dislocated knuckle on my part and Leeds are staying up!

There undoubtedly has to be a post mortem of what has been a dreadful season, but its so much nicer doing that knowing we'll be in the Premier League next time we kick a ball in anger. I'd all but accepted relegation and only intended to have the game on in the background, but then we score (disallowed) and Newcastle score and suddenly it feels like we can do this.

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Think my blood pressure has just come down enough, but a manic final day and a dislocated knuckle on my part and Leeds are staying up!

There undoubtedly has to be a post mortem of what has been a dreadful season, but its so much nicer doing that knowing we'll be in the Premier League next time we kick a ball in anger. I'd all but accepted relegation and only intended to have the game on in the background, but then we score (disallowed) and Newcastle score and suddenly it feels like we can do this.

Leeds really shouldn't be caught up in any relegation battle when the teams down the bottom are who they are (minnows like Everton etc). You'd hope that, at the very least, someone might realise that having an actual proper sized squad might be an idea now.

I note that the now debt-loaded Burnley (a takeover style that is illegal pretty much everywhere else) is now seeking more debt as the debts it has are now problematic following relegation. So it took about six months to utterly destroy the club. Well done all concerned.

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Leeds really shouldn't be caught up in any relegation battle when the teams down the bottom are who they are (minnows like Everton etc). You'd hope that, at the very least, someone might realise that having an actual proper sized squad might be an idea now.

I note that the now debt-loaded Burnley (a takeover style that is illegal pretty much everywhere else) is now seeking more debt as the debts it has are now problematic following relegation. So it took about six months to utterly destroy the club. Well done all concerned.

There was a good article in the Guardian online(I only read the sport and book reviews🙂) about Burnley today. It compares them to Huddersfield who also spent parachute payments on loans. There were also very good articles on Man City and Mark Lawrenson today and one about how tactics have evolved. It was a very good sports section today.

Edited by Niels
  • Like 1