Football

Spare a thought for the Football fans in Spain, where a few teams dominate, not just recently but since way back when. From the the 1961-61 season, allocating points to the top four sides shows that for most fans, their team simply being in La Liga is the aim. Winning it? No way José. 

La Liga Tot 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13

1 Real Madrid 240 6 3 6 2 2 6 3 3 2 3
2 FC Barcelona 198 3 2 3 6 6 3 6 6 3 6
3 Atlético Madrid 101 2 6 2 3 3 2 2 2 6 2
4 Valencia CF 50       1 1     1    
5 Atlético Bilbao 29                 1  
6 Real Sociedad 27                   1
7 Deportivo Coruña 26                    
8 Real Zaragoza 16                    
9 Sevilla CF 11 1 1 1     1        
10 RCD Espanyol 8                    

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

11 hours ago, RayCee said:

Spare a thought for the Football fans in Spain, where a few teams dominate, not just recently but since way back when. From the the 1961-61 season, allocating points to the top four sides shows that for most fans, their team simply being in La Liga is the aim. Winning it? No way José. 

La Liga Tot 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13

1 Real Madrid 240 6 3 6 2 2 6 3 3 2 3
2 FC Barcelona 198 3 2 3 6 6 3 6 6 3 6
3 Atlético Madrid 101 2 6 2 3 3 2 2 2 6 2
4 Valencia CF 50       1 1     1    
5 Atlético Bilbao 29                 1  
6 Real Sociedad 27                   1
7 Deportivo Coruña 26                    
8 Real Zaragoza 16                    
9 Sevilla CF 11 1 1 1     1        
10 RCD Espanyol 8                    

The point being that clubs still seem to be very well supported, regardless. Like in Scotland, fans factor in that they're not going to win the league ever so the priorities are different.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

England women have released their new shirts ahead of the Euros.

The proper replica will set you back £115.

The casual version is a mere £75.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

An incredibly dull Champions League final ends up with Real claiming their gazillionth title.

The most interesting bit of the game being the contortions used to justify VAR not giving Madrid a completely legit first half goal.

Thankfully, in the end, it didn't matter.

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

An incredibly dull Champions League final ends up with Real claiming their gazillionth title.

The most interesting bit of the game being the contortions used to justify VAR not giving Madrid a completely legit first half goal.

Thankfully, in the end, it didn't matter.

Liverpool gave it a crack but RM was content to absorb it like they have done through much of the  tournament. Courtois was immense and kept them in the game. 

As for your comment on the no goal, if it was completely legit, then it wouldn't have been gone over so many times. Using the word 'completely' made me realise you were watching a different game. It was anything but obvious. 

Edited by RayCee

Which region is the best for Football in England over the past 60 odd years? Putting some points for top results on the local scene and in European competition:

Rk Club Tot UK Area Pts
1 Liverpool F.C. 310 219 N West 799
2 Manchester U 273 216 46.6  
5 Manchester C 114 102  
8 Everton F.C. 67 63
17 Blackburn  13 13
24 Burnley F.C. 10 10
32 Wigan Athletic 5 5
40 Preston N E 2 2
42 Bolton Wander 2 2
46 Rochdale A.F.C. 1 1
47 Oldham Athletic 1 1
48 Tranmere Rov 1 1
3 Chelsea F.C. 178 127 London 506
4 Arsenal F.C. 173 145 29.5  
6 Tottenham HS 104 78  
14 West Ham Utd 25 18
25 Queens Park R 9 9
30 Crystal Palace 6 6
34 Fulham F.C. 5 2
31 Wimbledon 4 4
43 Milwall F.C. 2 2
9 Nottingham For 53 36 Midland 188
10 Aston Villa 45 37 11.0  
12 Leicester City 28 28  
15 Derby County 18 16
18 West Bromwich 12 12
19 Wolverhampton 12 9
23 Birmingham City 10 7
29 Stoke City 6 6
33 Coventry City 4 4
7 Leeds United 79 56 N East 139
13 Newcastle Utd 25 18 8.1  
16 Sheffield Wed 13 13  
22 Middlesborough 10 7
26 Sunderland 8 8
44 Hull City 2 2
45 Rotherham Utd 1 1
49 Bradford City 1 1
11 Ipswich Town 30 24 East 52
20 Norwich City 11 11 3.0  
27 Watford F.C. 7 7  
35 Luton Town 4 4
21 Southampton 11 11 South 25
28 Portsmouth F.C. 6 6 1.5  
36 Swindon Town 3 3  
37 Oxford United 3 3
41 Brighton & Hove 2 2
38 Cardiff City 3 3 Wales 6
39 Swansea City 3 3 0.3  
    1715 1364   1715
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RayCee said:

Liverpool gave it a crack but RM was content to absorb it like they have done through much of the  tournament. Courtois was immense and kept them in the game. 

As for your comment on the no goal, if it was completely legit, then it wouldn't have been gone over so many times. Using the word 'completely' made me realise you were watching a different game. It was anything but obvious. 

It was a goal. Two players deliberately move into the area of the ball, slide towards the ball and then impact the ball. But because they didn’t mean the ball to then do what it did their actions are presumed to be not deliberate.

An incredible ruling. 

5 hours ago, RayCee said:

21 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It was a goal. Two players deliberately move into the area of the ball, slide towards the ball and then impact the ball. But because they didn’t mean the ball to then do what it did their actions are presumed to be not deliberate.

An incredible ruling. 

Can you point out where I said it wasn't a goal?

2 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Can you point out where I said it wasn't a goal?

That's true, you didn't.

Oh well.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RayCee said:

Which region is the best for Football in England over the past 60 odd years? Putting some points for top results on the local scene and in European competition:

Rk Club Tot UK Area Pts
1 Liverpool F.C. 310 219 N West 799
2 Manchester U 273 216 46.6  
5 Manchester C 114 102  
8 Everton F.C. 67 63
17 Blackburn  13 13
24 Burnley F.C. 10 10
32 Wigan Athletic 5 5
40 Preston N E 2 2
42 Bolton Wander 2 2
46 Rochdale A.F.C. 1 1
47 Oldham Athletic 1 1
48 Tranmere Rov 1 1
3 Chelsea F.C. 178 127 London 506
4 Arsenal F.C. 173 145 29.5  
6 Tottenham HS 104 78  
14 West Ham Utd 25 18
25 Queens Park R 9 9
30 Crystal Palace 6 6
34 Fulham F.C. 5 2
31 Wimbledon 4 4
43 Milwall F.C. 2 2
9 Nottingham For 53 36 Midland 188
10 Aston Villa 45 37 11.0  
12 Leicester City 28 28  
15 Derby County 18 16
18 West Bromwich 12 12
19 Wolverhampton 12 9
23 Birmingham City 10 7
29 Stoke City 6 6
33 Coventry City 4 4
7 Leeds United 79 56 N East 139
13 Newcastle Utd 25 18 8.1  
16 Sheffield Wed 13 13  
22 Middlesborough 10 7
26 Sunderland 8 8
44 Hull City 2 2
45 Rotherham Utd 1 1
49 Bradford City 1 1
11 Ipswich Town 30 24 East 52
20 Norwich City 11 11 3.0  
27 Watford F.C. 7 7  
35 Luton Town 4 4
21 Southampton 11 11 South 25
28 Portsmouth F.C. 6 6 1.5  
36 Swindon Town 3 3  
37 Oxford United 3 3
41 Brighton & Hove 2 2
38 Cardiff City 3 3 Wales 6
39 Swansea City 3 3 0.3  
    1715 1364   1715

How are points awarded ? I take it that Rochdale , Oldham , Tranmere , Rotherham and Bradford are awarded 1 point each for reaching the League Cup final .

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

An incredible ruling. 

I thought the ex ref on BT Sport explained well why it wasn't a goal at half time. Based on the rules I think it was fair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I thought the ex ref on BT Sport explained well why it wasn't a goal at half time. Based on the rules I think it was fair.

Even after the explanation I don’t think it works because the actions they were taking in respect of the ball were deliberate.

Thankfully, it was all academic anyway.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Huge game today to decide who joins footballs elite , and Everton 

Some genuinely nice chats going on between Huddersfield and Forest fans at Beaconsfield services when I went through earlier. 

Just now, gingerjon said:

Some genuinely nice chats going on between Huddersfield and Forest fans at Beaconsfield services when I went through earlier. 

Good luck to both but a little nostalgic element in me is rooting for Forest . 

Just now, DavidM said:

Good luck to both but a little nostalgic element in me is rooting for Forest . 

It’s one where I genuinely have no interest in the result so I’m hoping for a dramatic game

22 hours ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

At ding donger of a match in the National League play offs with Grimsby winning 5 - 4 at Wrexham after ET . Grimsby are now through to the final and will play either Solihull Moor or Chesterfield .

So its Grimsby v Solihull moors for a place in the Football League

• Like 1

Apologies for sounding like a broken record but how a sport as huge as football hasn't figured out that stopping the clock would prevent the final 15 minutes becoming absurd and completely frustrating I'll never know.

Diving is a part of the game, but it reaches unprecedented levels in the final stages with players appearing like they've been murdered if anyone so much as gives them a nasty glance. The added on time then never remotely reflects the time wasted.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Apologies for sounding like a broken record but how a sport as huge as football hasn't figured out that stopping the clock would prevent the final 15 minutes becoming absurd and completely frustrating I'll never know.

Diving is a part of the game, but it reaches unprecedented levels in the final stages with players appearing like they've been murdered if anyone so much as gives them a nasty glance. The added on time then never remotely reflects the time wasted.

A proper clock with an independent time keeper

8 minutes ago, Niels said:

Another shocking VAR decision.

Edit  x2 

The second one in particular… I have no idea how that isn’t even checked

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

If I remember rightly there was a study done a few years ago where a load of games had been watched and the amount of time the ball was actually in play was calculated which came out at an average of only about 50 minutes, meaning 40 minutes of the 90 was basically just players stood around waiting for the ball to be played whether that be from it going out of play, being placed for a set piece, players rolling round on the floor injured, the ball being taken back to the centre spot after a goal was scored, substitutions etc etc.

I can't remember exactly how long they said a football match actually would be if the clock was stopped and all 90 minutes played on the field but I seem to think it was over 2 hours. Though whether that would be the case is debatable because if players thought they weren't actually wasting time with their dramatics then they might not do it. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose