Football

1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

Respect to the new saints, but the old saints are my boys. And we're signing some good players. Bazunu the goalkeeper from City, the defender from the German club (need to google his name), maybe the Rangers midfielder Joe Aribo. Yes, we'll still be ###### (relative to the good teams), but maybe we'll stay up. And that's all I care about. We've been ###### for most of my lifetime as a fan. It doesn't matter. I just like being in the Premier League. If you want us to be better, then introduce an NFL style system so that's it fair. Otherwise, we'll always be ######, until a Billionaire comes along. What have we won in my lifetime as a fan? Johnstone's Paint once. Against Carlisle. Thing is, that's more than most teams and we're better off than fans from most clubs, so I'm not complaining. The big boys (City, Liverpool, United, etc.) should remember that they're only good because they get to beat ###### like Southampton every week. If we packed it in because we rarely win, you'd be nothing too. You're standing on the shoulders of giants. Respect the pyramid.

You got to the FA Cup final against Arsenal recently-ish, had Matt Le Tissier to watch and had a good competitive team in the 1980s plus a cool kit which I remember well.

There’s also been a lot of good and big sales of players by Southampton which seem to have been replaced in some areas more than others.

What do you think of the current manager?  

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

You got to the FA Cup final against Arsenal recently-ish, had Matt Le Tissier to watch and had a good competitive team in the 1980s plus a cool kit which I remember well.

There’s also been a lot of good and big sales of players by Southampton which seem to have been replaced in some areas more than others.

What do you think of the current manager?  

2003 fa cup final. We played garbage. Should have done like West Ham in 2006 and gone for it. They still lost to Liverpool, but they were excellent. I missed our good teams of the early to mid 1980's - Keegan, Ball, etc. First hero was Steve Moran, and I do still like that kit. My first live game was 1987, and we were well on our way to years of mediocrity by then. Yep, I was lucky enough to attend the games against Wimbledon and Newcastle when Le Tissier scored those much replayed since goals. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't swap it for being a fan of a successful club.

I love Ralph, although he frustrates me at times. That's a normal experience for a fan though - Southgate does it too with England. Thing is, he knows what players are fully fit, whether they need resting, etc. whereas I only know what I'd like to happen, if everything was perfect. So, I've got to back his judgement. He works with and sees the players every day. I have to believe that there's a reason why he makes certain decisions, even if I might not be aware of those reasons. He's kept us up so far, and we've spent less than quite a few teams. I don't care about losing 9-0 a few times. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Lose 9-0 and win 1-0 the week after, and you've got 3 points. Just as you would if you'd lost only 1-0. Admittedly your goal difference is screwed, but if you're relying on that to stay up, you're cutting it fine anyway. I think clubs change their managers too often. How many teams can you name who have racked up say 10 managers in 20 years, but they're still ######? You hear all the moaning on the radio from Man Utd fans. Whose fault is it that they're currently ######? Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho, Solksjaer, or that recent temp manager whose name I can't remember? Or is it just that UTD don't have the best squad anymore, like they did for much of the 1990's and early 2000s, so they've got to accept not being top dogs for a while? Change the manager all you like, but City and Liverpool have the better players right now.

On 07/07/2022 at 01:09, 17 stone giant said:

I said C R A P. Nothing more rude than that. It's a good northern word, isn't it?

Aye. It is that!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/07/2022 at 19:08, Josef K said:

I’ve put bets on two NL clubs for the coming season. Sarfend Utd £5 e/w 20/1. Boreham Wood £5 e/w 25/1. 

I’ve put an 11 quid Yankee on:

Middlesbrough (9/1) for the Championship 

Bolton Wanderers (14/1) for League One

Stockport County (6/1) for League Two

Wrexham (6/4) for the National League 

Need just 2 for a modest return.

If all 4 come in then roughly £5k.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’ve put an 11 quid Yankee on:

Middlesbrough (9/1) for the Championship 

Bolton Wanderers (14/1) for League One

Stockport County (6/1) for League Two

Wrexham (6/4) for the National League 

Need just 2 for a modest return.

If all 4 come in then roughly £5k.

How does a Yankee work “G ref”, i don’t mind having a bet (and losing 99.9% of the time) but an each way bet is the furthest i go because it’s the only one i understand. Looking at your bets they look pretty decent. I keep saying i am going to delete my Betfred App but it keeps tempting me to have another look. Your Yankee bet has got me really tempted to have a go. How little can you put on a bet ?. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Josef K said:

How does a Yankee work “G ref”, i don’t mind having a bet (and losing 99.9% of the time) but an each way bet is the furthest i go because it’s the only one i understand. Looking at your bets they look pretty decent. I keep saying i am going to delete my Betfred App but it keeps tempting me to have another look. Your Yankee bet has got me really tempted to have a go. How little can you put on a bet ?. 

Don’t let me stop you from deleting your betting app if you’re fed up with it.  I too get fed up and have put strict limits on mine.  

I have found this snippet on the internet that hopefully explains it:

“A Yankee bet is a 4 selection wager consisting of 11 bets: 6 doubles, 4 trebles and a 4-fold accumulator. The Yankee is rumoured to be named after an American soldier that placed a small bet in the UK and due to the multiple roll-over mechanics at work won back hundreds of thousands of pounds.

The amount won from a Yankee depends on the number of selections which win and the odds of each one. When you place 11 bets on four different selections, a £1 win-only Yankee bet would therefore cost £11. Because a Yankee bet contains no single bets, two of the selections must win in order for a return to be achieved on the bet. The return from just two selections would be highly unlikely to be greater than the original stake.

The four bets consist of six doubles four trebles and a fourfold accumulator. The diagram below shows a win-only Yankee. Bets one to six consist of the doubles, bets seven to ten consist of the trebles and bet 11 is the accumulator.”

https://mybettingsites.co.uk/learn/yankee-bet/

I’ve done an £11 cost Yankee (I.e. just £1 per line/bet) and the reason why I do it is it gives me an extra interest in all those title races for as long as they last.  One year I managed to win £800 on Chelsea, Newcastle, Sheffield United and Portsmouth, but obviously usually there’s little to no return.  Just a bit of fun and more fun than watching balls come out of a machine at ridiculous odds.  I often have the same 11 quid bet on the horses at the weekend which seems plenty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Don’t let me stop you from deleting your betting app if you’re fed up with it.  I too get fed up and have put strict limits on mine.  

“A Yankee bet is a 4 selection wager consisting of 11 bets: 6 doubles, 4 trebles and a 4-fold accumulator. The Yankee is rumoured to be named after an American soldier that placed a small bet in the UK and due to the multiple roll-over mechanics at work won back hundreds of thousands of pounds.

The amount won from a Yankee depends on the number of selections which win and the odds of each one. When you place 11 bets on four different selections, a £1 win-only Yankee bet would therefore cost £11. Because a Yankee bet contains no single bets, two of the selections must win in order for a return to be achieved on the bet. The return from just two selections would be highly unlikely to be greater than the original stake.

The four bets consist of six doubles four trebles and a fourfold accumulator. The diagram below shows a win-only Yankee. Bets one to six consist of the doubles, bets seven to ten consist of the trebles and bet 11 is the accumulator.”

I’ve done an £11 cost Yankee (I.e. just £1 per line/bet) and the reason why I do it is it gives me an extra interest in all those title races for as long as they last.  One year I managed to win £800 on Chelsea, Newcastle, Sheffield United and Portsmouth, but obviously usually there’s little to no return.  Just a bit of fun and more fun than watching balls come out of a machine at ridiculous odds.  I often have the same 11 quid bet on the horses at the weekend which seems plenty.

Excellent G ref thanks for that it’s really handy. These apps can get you addicted, a workmate is terrible on the roulette. The amount of cash he spends on them is shocking, i have told him to get rid of his Betfred account and he said “he will” but never does”. I only bet on the football & RL before the start of the season’s, and then have a few bets during the season. I am going to have a go on a Yankee now though, and then i might have a go on a donkey or a monkey.  

• Like 1

On 25/07/2022 at 12:42, Gerrumonside ref said:

G ref i put a Yankee bet on, i asked one my Liverpool supporting nephews too pick the sides and he went for 

Norwich 5/1. Ipswich 5/1. Mansfield T 10/1. Wrexham 6/5. £1,800 if it comes in. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Good luck to us both, haha!

Yes definitely i always enjoy seeing people win cash. I think Mansfield is a good bet but i wouldn’t have picked the other three.

I might be tempted to do an “each way Yankee” (blimey i sound like a proper John McCririck type expert, when really i haven’t got a clue what i am doing). Then that will be my betting for this year. 

• Like 1

Having already taken in a couple of women's pre-season games and, of course, a couple of Euros matches, it is time for competitive men's football to return.

Looks like Little Common v Broadbridge Heath for me. Like every game at this level on the first weekend: impossible to predict. So I'll go with a 1-4 in front of 92 people.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Good start for Burnley last night, Vincent Kompany has altered the style already. Huddersfield looked really lightweight.

Cucurella of Brighton I remember was in tears late last season when he scored his first goal for Brighton against Manchester United,  now is trying to force a transfer to Manchester City. 

Irling Haaland makes debut for Manchester City today in a competitive game against Liverpool,  should be interesting game.

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 1

On 28/07/2022 at 19:09, Gerrumonside ref said:

Good luck to us both, haha!

Not the best start with our sides G ref, two defeats and a draw for me, whilst you did better and got two draws and a loss. I thought County were really unlucky against Barrow, they started off really slow but then fought back. The disallowed goal for offside and the penalty i couldn’t really tell if they were harsh or not after watching the highlights. It’s great to see The Hatters back in the EFL, and playing at an old RL ground. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Good start for Burnley last night, Vincent Kompany has altered the style already. Huddersfield looked really lightweight.

Cucurella of Brighton I remember was in tears late last season when he scored his first goal for Brighton against Manchester United,  now is trying to force a transfer to Manchester City. 

Irling Haaland makes debut for Manchester City today in a competitive game against Liverpool,  should be interesting game.

As Wakey were pasting Cas yesterday i kept flicking over too Huddersfield/Burnley game. Despite them only getting the one goal Huddersfield didn’t cause them much trouble. Do you think Huddersfield will surprise teams again this season or will they struggle to make the playoffs ?. They had a great turnout of over 20,000.
Watching the highlights of the Tics/Preston match Amos(the Wigan goalie) saved them with a couple of cracking saves. A decent crowd of 15,400 for the day as well. 

Decent start for Carlisle. Only one goal against Crawley, but could have been a couple more. Topped L2 at 15.05 (screenshot grabbed!), but by FT had dropped to tenth, but a win is a win! 

Not fancied by the bookies but Simmo is a shrewd manager. Good outside bet for play offs minimum.

COYB.

10 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Decent start for Carlisle. Only one goal against Crawley, but could have been a couple more. Topped L2 at 15.05 (screenshot grabbed!), but by FT had dropped to tenth, but a win is a win! 

Not fancied by the bookies but Simmo is a shrewd manager. Good outside bet for play offs minimum.

COYB.

I went right past the ground yesterday visiting friends in Carlisle.

Saw quite a few people with their blue tops on and three lads taking a drum in.

Saw what looked like a traditional programme seller too.

12 hours ago, Josef K said:

Not the best start with our sides G ref, two defeats and a draw for me, whilst you did better and got two draws and a loss. I thought County were really unlucky against Barrow, they started off really slow but then fought back. The disallowed goal for offside and the penalty i couldn’t really tell if they were harsh or not after watching the highlights. It’s great to see The Hatters back in the EFL, and playing at an old RL ground. 

I couldn’t believe it when I saw Stocky were 3-0 down at home after being fairly short odds to win League 2!

Early days though I guess.

Bolton picked up a good draw against Ipswich at Portman Rd and Boro had promising moments against WBA for a half.

• Like 1

I wonder if any dunderheads ran onto the pitch during the opening games of the season. I can see them aping their innocence as they get carted off by the stewards “i didn’t know it was against the law guvnor”, even though it’s been against the law for years & years.