Football

4 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Now I’ll be the first to admit that as a rival fan I’ve often described it as Castle Greyskull, but maybe nowadays that moniker has more of a ring of truth about it.

Celtic fans have been calling Ibrox that for some time too. What's odd is that Castle Grayskull was where He-Man lived - Skeletor lived in Snake Mountain and was always trying to conquer Grayskull. So you're actually complimenting Old Trafford by associating it with Castle Grayskull.

As for Man Utd, it's just enjoyable watching teams that have had success for decades, not being quite as good as they were. The meltdown from some of their fans that have grown up winning everything, is most amusing to observe. No doubt they'll suddenly recapture some form when Saints have to play them in a week or so.

5 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I thought it was a good rescue of a point in the end by ten men myself.

It really is a marathon and not a sprint in terms of the title, but of course the rest of the league would rather be in City’s position right now if they keep everyone healthy.

Do you feel confident that Leeds will avoid another relegation battle?

I think whilst it is a marathon not a sprint, it is always better to be ahead than chasing up ground - especially when Man City are the direct competition. Its so intense at the top.

For Leeds, I think 15th to 9th is where we will end up this year. Better than last year, barring Chelsea all of our games up to Arsenal in Mid October are fairly winnable. Considering the Opta stat that any side who gets 8 points from their opening 5 games has a 95% chance of staying up, I think we'll be fine.

It was an annoying 2 points dropped against Southampton last weekend, but a solid performance against Chelsea at home, even if at best it is a hard fought point, will be a decent result on Sunday. After that as I said we have a run of games that should give us a decent haul of points: Brighton away, Everton home, Brentford away, Forest home, Man U Away, Villa home and Palace away. A bad run there could leave us in the lurch like last season, but likewise picking up 9 to 15 points or more from the 21 available there will be a strong indicator of where our season is going, and certainly isn't beyond our achievement imo.

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Everton are only 6 points off Man City . If we can maintain that I’ll be happy 

Lol it would be ace wouldn't it. How do you think its going to go for Everton? 

From what I've seen you're lacking some quality in key areas and haven't replaced Richarlison's goals. I'd take the silly money on offer for Gordon though, just to bring in 2 proven goal threats. 

Is FFP catching up?

On 15/08/2022 at 13:29, Josef K said:

I do enjoy watching the fan sites on YouTube when a top side loses. It’s not worth watching them if they win all the time. 

The Square Ball Podcast do a show called Propaganda focused on fan reactions to primarily that weekend's Leeds game (ie home fans and opposition fans), but they do have an excellent regular segment on the "Wider World of Propaganda". This picks up some absolute gems that are giggle worthy listening. For Man United there are understandably loads of silly pundits. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Lol it would be ace wouldn't it. How do you think its going to go for Everton? 

From what I've seen you're lacking some quality in key areas and haven't replaced Richarlison's goals. I'd take the silly money on offer for Gordon though, just to bring in 2 proven goal threats. 

Is FFP catching up?

Well we shipped lots of goals , many at set pieces , so I think Coady and Tarkowski are solid additions . Mina is good but usually injured and Godfrey is good but already injured . Patterson from Rangers will prove a decent signing.  It gets worse from there . Midfield is hit and miss , Doucoure Gray Gordon can be ok or look like they’ve never met each other , and it says a lot that Iwobi has gone from being booed out of town to be the new darling of the fans . There’s literally nothing ahead of that other than DCL who is injured again. For all he was a pain at times Richarlison was very popular and is a big miss , he really really tried . New signings will determine if we get relegated because as of now we’re very average and the PL has largely left them behind as gross mismanagement over years has come home to roost , and now theyre financially hamstrung . We’ve spent hundreds of millions to go spectacularly backwards . We have former coaches who went to Barcelona Real Madrid and Belgium , so the problem is above them . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Mark Goldbridge by any chance?

Yes. i also listened to a bit of his show on Talksport on Saturday night but it wasn’t the best. I also enjoy The Stretford Paddock and The United Stand but i’ll only watch them if they lose, they’ve probably  changed their names since i last looked. I do enjoy AFTV, but i like a lot of fans channels all through the leagues. 

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

The Square Ball Podcast do a show called Propaganda focused on fan reactions to primarily that weekend's Leeds game (ie home fans and opposition fans), but they do have an excellent regular segment on the "Wider World of Propaganda". This picks up some absolute gems that are giggle worthy listening. For Man United there are understandably loads of silly pundits. 

I’ll have a listen to that Tommy. I enjoy The Price Of Football. 

4 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Celtic fans have been calling Ibrox that for some time too. What's odd is that Castle Grayskull was where He-Man lived - Skeletor lived in Snake Mountain and was always trying to conquer Grayskull. So you're actually complimenting Old Trafford by associating it with Castle Grayskull.

As for Man Utd, it's just enjoyable watching teams that have had success for decades, not being quite as good as they were. The meltdown from some of their fans that have grown up winning everything, is most amusing to observe. No doubt they'll suddenly recapture some form when Saints have to play them in a week or so.

Ooooh with the He-Man knowledge, haha!

Do you think Southampton will stay up this year?

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I think whilst it is a marathon not a sprint, it is always better to be ahead than chasing up ground - especially when Man City are the direct competition. Its so intense at the top.

For Leeds, I think 15th to 9th is where we will end up this year. Better than last year, barring Chelsea all of our games up to Arsenal in Mid October are fairly winnable. Considering the Opta stat that any side who gets 8 points from their opening 5 games has a 95% chance of staying up, I think we'll be fine.

It was an annoying 2 points dropped against Southampton last weekend, but a solid performance against Chelsea at home, even if at best it is a hard fought point, will be a decent result on Sunday. After that as I said we have a run of games that should give us a decent haul of points: Brighton away, Everton home, Brentford away, Forest home, Man U Away, Villa home and Palace away. A bad run there could leave us in the lurch like last season, but likewise picking up 9 to 15 points or more from the 21 available there will be a strong indicator of where our season is going, and certainly isn't beyond our achievement imo.

What would a Leeds fan of your age know about life at the top of the Premier League! 😉

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Do you think Southampton will stay up this year?

I'm not Lion-O. I don't have a sword of omens to give me sight beyond sight. 😉

I'm struggling to come up with three worse teams than us right now, but who knows? There's always hope. I'm pleased with some of the new signings, so if they can produce, we might be ok.

And we are one of the major cities in England (just ask Gingerjon), so we really should be at the top table.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

What would a Leeds fan of your age know about life at the top of the Premier League! 😉

Haha I can JUST about remember my first fifa ps2 games having Leeds in the Premier League! Still got the Strongbow shirt with 27 and Tom on the back from when I was very small 😅

What's worse is I adopted Arsenal, just as they became rubbish too!

18 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I'm struggling to come up with three worse teams than us right now, but who knows? There's always hope. I'm pleased with some of the new signings, so if they can produce, we might be ok.

And we are one of the major cities in England (just ask Gingerjon), so we really should be at the top table.

Sekou Mara looks decent from what we’ve seen.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Haha I can JUST about remember my first fifa ps2 games having Leeds in the Premier League! Still got the Strongbow shirt with 27 and Tom on the back from when I was very small 😅

This is making me feel a bit old, haha!

Although I do remember growling as Man Utd gradually got better and better on subsequent 1990’s Sensible Soccer games and Liverpool worse and worse!

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I think Leicester could be dragged into a relegation dogfight, im sure they have only signed one player so far this season. Everton will have another battle to move away from the bottom half of the table. 

I find it baffling that Man U are in such a state as they are. They have some quality players and managers, spending a lot of money in the process. Yet on field they have underachieved for a few years now and now are sliding down further. This season is still new but they look like a relegation candidate. 

Some have blamed the managers, others the player's attitude and also the owners. I wonder if the the mix of players is wrong, plenty with style but lacking the grafters that make the stars shine. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

10 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Down here, the kids adopt the London sides or Brighton. Because Hastings United are claret and blue there are more West Ham fans than you might expect too.

I have an irrational distrust of Brighton but Tiny Ginger's friends were mostly following Chelsea.

I still feel I dodged a bullet by nudging him to Arsenal. And, to be fair to him, he has stuck with them despite them being mostly pretty average most of the time. 

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Monday night at Old Trafford could be very interesting indeed, though i suspect security will ensure the game goes ahead.

When the Glazers bought United, under the direction of my United fan manager, i cancelled the actual purchase of stock whilst working at the Bank of New York. Went through the next day, but it's the small wins that matter some times.

• Haha 2

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

1 hour ago, MattSantos said:

Monday night at Old Trafford could be very interesting indeed, though i suspect security will ensure the game goes ahead.

When the Glazers bought United, under the direction of my United fan manager, i cancelled the actual purchase of stock whilst working at the Bank of New York. Went through the next day, but it's the small wins that matter some times.

Celebrating small wins is the path to happiness I believe!

I wonder if the football clubs and the FA will keep to their promise of banning fans who go onto the pitch. I have just seen Northampton’s equaliser six minutes into injury time at Crewe and about 20 fans ran onto the pitch celebrating with the players. I can understand the Cobblers excitement but rules are rules. If they don’t start clamping down now then what is the point in warning supporters. 

Family commitments meant I couldn't go but my season ticket is still good value - and, on the field, Hastings United women start the season with a 6-0 win over newly promoted Eastbourne United AFC.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

19 hours ago, Josef K said:

Comeback of the weekend has to be Solihull Moors. 3-0 down at Scunthorpe and they go onto win 3-4. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1