Football

2 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

That's rich,  newly promoted Forest have bought lots of players, but hardly household names while Everton have splashed god knows how much since Mishori came in, the difference is that Forest have bought intelligently it seems, time will tell, but Everton have wasted virtually everything they've recently spent. Forest haven't of course been in the top flight for about 20 years whilst Everton have had decades of Premier dosh and done nowt. What a shower of a club, once great now a shadow of it's former self.

Well done , I hope your sense of humour bypass operation isn’t delayed to long 

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Everton equalising in the 88th minute against the mighty Nottingham Forest and their mega bucks new squad was a fantastic comeback . We are now officially on the board 

I had a tenner on a 10/1 Palace and Forest to win double.

Was just hovering over the cash out button when the Ev equalised.

Absolutely gutted, haha!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Amazing wasn’t it jon. I believe after the game some Scunthorpe fans wouldn’t let the coach with away fans leave the ground. I don’t know why, but “i fink it wuz da local Yoof” which is embarrassing but what a win for Moors. I know Keith Hill isn’t the most popular of managers with the fans, and there has been rumours that he is going back to Rochdale but i can’t see that. 

My only comment so far is that I’ve had to do some driving and have followed the game on the radio and … Sam Matterface is actually a really good radio commentator. One of the best I’ve come across in terms of telling you who has the ball and what they’re doing with it. A skill that not many in the UK seem to be willing to use.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Solid from United last night, but Liverpool look way off. That midfield needs freshening up.

On United, De Jong would have been an absolutely brilliant addition, but at least Casemiro will add some leadership and glue to a middle three, sitting behind Fernandes and Eriksen. Still need a 9 and probably a wide forward, too. And a keeper. And a right back. And then another midfielder to replace Eriksen.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

2 hours ago, HawkMan said:

So Man Utd work out that dropping the useless Maguire and the disinterested Ronaldo leads to improvement. United now ahead of Liverpool in table,  so is it a crisis for Klopp?

Meanwhile Chelsea rate Everton's Anthony Gordon at 60 million! Transfer window is crazy, the economics of football is in a world of it's own, but to be fair the money coming into the game shows no sign of dissipating any time soon.

So far in three EPL weekends we've had , Man Utd collapse and revival,  Liverpool not winning,  Arsenal looking great, Leeds on the rise, Fulham and Brighton playing fantastic,  Conte and Tuchel bust up, and Ten Hag saying f **k on live TV, and here it is.

My lad text me to say Sky were talking to Stormzee (is that how you spell it) last night after the game. I didn’t watch the match and i had no idea if he was a new signing  or a coach ?. 

The test for Robert Page and and the Welsh FA is whether Tom Lawrence goes to the World Cup. Lawrence is one of Wales' best players and is turning it on for Rangers but Page has never picked him in the Wales  squad after a serious drink driving incident. Meanwhile, "fourth-division" players Chris Gunter and Jonny Williams regularly feature in front of players who are performing well at higher levels. Nonetheless, this is the first  Wales squad to have qualified for over 60 years.

Wales will probably not get past the group stages, but could do so. Does the management sacrifice loyalty for pragmatism? It's an interesting dilemma.

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

4 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

The test for Robert Page and and the Welsh FA is whether Tom Lawrence goes to the World Cup. Lawrence is one of Wales' best players and is turning it on for Rangers but Page has never picked him in the Wales  squad after a serious drink driving incident. Meanwhile, "fourth-division" players Chris Gunter and Jonny Williams regularly feature in front of players who are performing well at higher levels. Nonetheless, this is the first  Wales squad to have qualified for over 60 years.

Wales will probably not get past the group stages, but could do so. Does the management sacrifice loyalty for pragmatism? It's an interesting dilemma.

Both Gunter and Williams have been picked previously as brilliant squad guys, an over looked element of picking an over all 26 or whatever it is.

Presume Page will speak to Bale and Ramsay et al and then take it from there.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

On 28/08/2022 at 08:11, Gerrumonside ref said:

Rumours of our demise have been greatly exaggerated!

As a Bournemouth fan I was disappointed but realistic. 

I think nowadays though, most coaches should be capable of organising a defence to prevent such scorelines. 

Surprised the manager has been sacked but I think this has more to do with his reaction and comments about the owner and board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niels said:

As a Bournemouth fan I was disappointed but realistic. 

I think nowadays though, most coaches should be capable of organising a defence to prevent such scorelines. 

Surprised the manager has been sacked but I think this has more to do with his reaction and comments about the owner and board.

Are Bournemouth trying to avoid boom and bust in the way Norwich City are thinking long term?

I’m not totally sure what their model is and am just reading into their transfer policy over the last few seasons.

Theyve done brilliantly as a club to grow and I can can well understand them not wanting to overstretch too much to be competitive in the Premier League with the more resourced clubs.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

7 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Has anybody watched the Wrexham documentary on Disney+?

All very interesting, but after two episodes I'm still none the wiser about why they chose Wrexham.

They were intrigued by the football pyramid model which obviously differs from the big three in American sports.

I think it was a romantic decision to see if you could take a team from the lower part of that pyramid to the top.

I think Wrexham in many ways fit the bill.

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Are Bournemouth trying to avoid boom and bust in the way Norwich City are thinking long term?

I’m not totally sure what their model is and am just reading into their transfer policy over the last few seasons.

Theyve done brilliantly as a club to grow and I can can well understand them not wanting to overstretch too much to be competitive in the Premier League with the more resourced clubs.

Thanks, I think so yes.

However the manager was becoming very outspoken about the squad not being strong enough.

Ironically, I think we already have a fanstastic squad for the Championship next year, we bought a lot of the other clubs' best players. 

Last year we had Nat Phillips on loan from Liverpool who I thought we should have bought really. 

• Like 1

Went to my first non-league football match in a few years tonight. I forgot how much I love non-league football and sport at that level in general.

I took in Beverley Town v Swallownest in the Northern Counties East League Division One. £3.50 to get in. There was myself and 271 other passionate supporters of amateur sport. It had a nice rain and someone's conservatory almost got smashed by a stray ball and someone had taken their dog to the game. It isn't non-league sport if there isn't a dog present. 

I really enjoyed it! I think I'll become a regular down there now! 

• Like 3

Was just looking at the championship table and noticed Preston. Can't say I've seen a much stranger start to a season than the one they've had.

Played 7, won 2, drawn 5, lost 0. Despite being undefeated they've only taken 11 from a possible 21 points but what's even odder is the fact all 5 draws, I will repeat all 5, were 0-0 and both wins were 1-0. So while sitting only mid table, Preston are undefeated and haven't conceded a goal yet, though they have only scored 2 themselves. 

• Like 3

On 28/08/2022 at 08:11, Gerrumonside ref said:

Rumours of our demise have been greatly exaggerated!

They left it late tonight!

Did you go or watch it on tv?

I watched the Bournemouth game on tv. I was dreading losing to a late goal as Wolves were pressing a bit. But we held on.

Edited by Niels

Tickets are like gold at Anfield and have been for sometime.

That said, I have been hundreds of times watching Liverpool, had my kicks and am happy to pass the baton on now to other fans.

My biggest impression from last night is how sharp Isak looked when he got a chance for Newcastle, especially his poise for the offside goal.

Howe is assembling a very good team there.

• Like 1

Who can stop Man City? They built a great squad but didn't fully deliver without a top class striker. They have that now and if Haaland stays fit, hard to see any team in England - or Europe for that matter - stopping them. And no, I'm not a Man City supporter. 

• Like 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion.