Football

13 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

a non stop yearly cartel of pointless teams that will never win this comp - or get anywhere near the final - some football fans would be better off ditching the dream of getting to Wembley and focusing on a the better ambition of getting an actual life or at the very least a girlfriend 

It's called "doing a Giggsie"

Nice afternoon at the Saffrons to see an FA Cup First Qualifying Round tie between Eastbourne Town and Hanwell Town.

The visitors were formed in 1920 by Newcastle exiles living in London and still wear black and white stripes and refer to themselves as 'Toon' and 'The Geordies'. The former sounds quite eyebrow raising when said by someone with an old school west London working class accent.

They're also two divisions higher and should have won by a lot more than the final 2-0 scoreline.

Looked like around 300 in to see it.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

How much does it cost a club for policing, Hull City & Sheff Utd fans have been throwing objects at one another as the game has gone on. Id love to know how many so called fans will have been banned at the end of the season, it should be in the hundreds. 

On 02/09/2022 at 23:01, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think what swung the Wrexham factor was that they were a fan owned club which made it even cheaper to ‘buy in’ as gingerjon is saying.

There’s a romance value for sure.

Just hope they see themselves as custodians rather than it as a plaything.

Thanks for that.

If I was a Wrexham fan that would be my one concern. They answered it well tho on the documentary, saying it will be a very high-profile failure for them if they do it and then soon pull out.

Wrexham fans must be pinching themselves, outside of the PL they are probably one of the top few well-known British football clubs now.

• Like 1

On 02/09/2022 at 07:07, gingerjon said:

And still a lot of football fans don't seem to think an independent time keeper (like in rugby) is a good idea.

Odd bunch.

I honestly can't think of a downside apart from some notion of purity.

We'd soon see fewer instances of players lying down after every tackle if the referee just stopped the clock.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Josef K said:

How much does it cost a club for policing, Hull City & Sheff Utd fans have been throwing objects at one another as the game has gone on. Id love to know how many so called fans will have been banned at the end of the season, it should be in the hundreds. 

The warm up for the Chris Rock/Chappelle gig did a bit on going to a football match yesterday afternoon.

He said in football in America the players are brainless knuckleheads, but in England the brainless knuckleheads are in the stands.

28 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

The warm up for the Chris Rock/Chappelle gig did a bit on going to a football match yesterday afternoon.

He said in football in America the players are brainless knuckleheads, but in England the brainless knuckleheads are in the stands.

Because the fans at football in America are intelligent? Let me rephrase that, because Americans are intelligent?? 🤔

4 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Because the fans at football in America are intelligent? Let me rephrase that, because Americans are intelligent?? 🤔

Don't quote me on this but I don't think there's nearly as much animosity between fans.

I was shocked the first time I went a PL game, how many fans spent what seemed like the entire match goading the opposition fans. I'm sure to an American this is a shock.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

in today's 'I' Somebody called Daniel Storey has written an article denouncing VAR. Apparently its different for rugby(sic) because; 'you can tell if a pass is forward or not'. What rubbish journalism; a professional sportswriter not knowing that there are two codes each with their own concept of VAR, and that the difficulty of judging on forward passes means that in Rugby League at least video referees don't judge on forward passes. 

Dermot Gallagher's Ref Watch on Sky Sports News on Monday is always a good watch. Explains the rights and wrongs of VAR. There was a lot of interesting decisions at the weekend, some VAR got right, but maybe the laws need  changing, others a misinterpretation from VAR and the on field ref not sticking to his guns.

Champions league returns tonight,  from The Analyst.com here are the groups and a computer's qualification percentages of each team.

Group C looks a real group of death,  and D could be incredibly close.

Here are the supercomputer’s qualification prediction numbers for the UCL 2022-23 group stage:

Group A: Liverpool (88.9%), Ajax (57.6%), Napoli (36.5%), Rangers (17.0%).
Group B: Atlético Madrid (74.8%), Porto (69.7%), Bayer Leverkusen (41.3%), Club Brugge (14.1%).
Group C: Bayern Munich (78.5%), Barcelona (63.1%), Inter Milan (50.7%), Viktoria Plzeň (7.6%).
Group D: Tottenham Hotspur (78.2%), Sporting CP (48.5%), Marseille (44.5%), Eintracht Frankfurt (28.8%).
Group E: Chelsea (71.5%), Milan (58.0%),  RB Salzburg (49.2%), Dinamo Zagreb (21.3%).
Group F: Real Madrid (95.0%), RB Leipzig (66.4%), Celtic (21.2%), Shakhtar Donetsk (17.4%).
Group G: Manchester City (92.8%), Sevilla (55.9%), Borussia Dortmund (47.8%), FC Copenhagen (3.5%).
Group H: Paris Saint-Germain (80.0%), Juventus (58.0%), Benfica (51.2%), Maccabi Haifa (10.8%).

Edited by HawkMan

3 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Dermot Gallagher's Ref Watch on Sky Sports News on Monday is always a good watch. Explains the rights and wrongs of VAR. There was a lot of interesting decisions at the weekend, some VAR got right, but maybe the laws need  changing, others a misinterpretation from VAR and the on field ref not sticking to his guns.

Champions league returns tonight,  from The Analyst.com here are the groups and a computer's qualification percentages of each team.

Group C looks a real group of death,  and D could be incredibly close.

Here are the supercomputer’s qualification prediction numbers for the UCL 2022-23 group stage:

Group A: Liverpool (88.9%), Ajax (57.6%), Napoli (36.5%), Rangers (17.0%).
Group B: Atlético Madrid (74.8%), Porto (69.7%), Bayer Leverkusen (41.3%), Club Brugge (14.1%).
Group C: Bayern Munich (78.5%), Barcelona (63.1%), Inter Milan (50.7%), Viktoria Plzeň (7.6%).
Group D: Tottenham Hotspur (78.2%), Sporting CP (48.5%), Marseille (44.5%), Eintracht Frankfurt (28.8%).
Group E: Chelsea (71.5%), Milan (58.0%),  RB Salzburg (49.2%), Dinamo Zagreb (21.3%).
Group F: Real Madrid (95.0%), RB Leipzig (66.4%), Celtic (21.2%), Shakhtar Donetsk (17.4%).
Group G: Manchester City (92.8%), Sevilla (55.9%), Borussia Dortmund (47.8%), FC Copenhagen (3.5%).
Group H: Paris Saint-Germain (80.0%), Juventus (58.0%), Benfica (51.2%), Maccabi Haifa (10.8%).

I rate this Napoli team higher than Ajax.

45 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Tuchel sacked 

"Only" three trophies in 20 months - Chelsea don't think that's good enough.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

"Only" three trophies in 20 months - Chelsea don't think that's good enough.

It's about the future not what was won previously,  that's the way of football at the top with hundreds of millions at stake.

I'm not surprised by Tuchel going,  the team seems without a way of playing,  Tuchel seemed almost to admit he hadn't a clue how to rectify it.

However after spending £200m on new players he should have been given more time, or sacked earlier. It does seem odd to give him Sterling,  Cuccurella,  Aubameyang,  Kullibaly ( forgive spelling) and then sack him. But nowadays transfers are often handled by a sporting director guiding the policy which goes on but with a new manager. 

Any chance Mourinho for a third spell?

Edited by HawkMan