Football

I see Graham Potter is off to Chelsea. He’s been good at Brighton but Chelsea is another kettle of fish. I hope he makes a go of it although I'm not a fan of the club.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

I was flicking through the European football matches during the week and i noticed a lot of terracing and seating is a fair distance away from the pitch, especially behind the goals. It’s something that would put me off from attending matches if i was a home supporter. Also the behaviour of certain clubs fans in the stadiums is shocking, it makes me wonder why those clubs are not banning the hooligans ?. 

1 hour ago, Josef K said:

I was flicking through the European football matches during the week and i noticed a lot of terracing and seating is a fair distance away from the pitch, especially behind the goals. It’s something that would put me off from attending matches if i was a home supporter. Also the behaviour of certain clubs fans in the stadiums is shocking, it makes me wonder why those clubs are not banning the hooligans ?. 

I think in Italy in particular the ultras have a level of power and influence not seen here.

Ligue 1 had some terrible scenes last year too.

The Bundesliga gets everything right I feel except the domination of Bayern Munich - there’s a lot to like about the way they have organised their society and country post WW2

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The Bundesliga gets everything right I feel except the domination of Bayern Munich - there’s a lot to like about the way they have organised their society and country post WW2

Freiburg are top at the minute.

It won't last but it is funny.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think in Italy in particular the ultras have a level of power and influence not seen here.

Ligue 1 had some terrible scenes last year too.

It’s some of the stadium’s with a track around the pitch, i don’t know how they put up with it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hindle xiii said:

It amuses me greatly when I realise the old man names like Ken, Ray and Keith did belong to children once upon a time.

Maybe even more so with old women's names - Beryl, Doris, Edna etc.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Australia v South Africa in London.

No idea where in London but likely to get a bit more press attention than if it had been played at home as England v USA is at Wembley the day before.

Fcb1cueaQAAI78Y?format=jpg&name=small

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

From The Upshot:

"Because the queen died, we will not be playing our league game against Byron House tomorrow morning at 10.30am. We will instead be aiming to play a friendly tomorrow morning, against Byron House, kick-off 10.30am." - Sheffield International FC.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

4 hours ago, Damien said:

Manchester United vs Leeds and Chelsea vs Liverpool off next week now. I don't think Football fans will be very tolerant of two weekends cancelled.

All games aren’t cancelled they just seem to be picking out games that require a lot of policing. 

13 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

From The Upshot:

"Because the queen died, we will not be playing our league game against Byron House tomorrow morning at 10.30am. We will instead be aiming to play a friendly tomorrow morning, against Byron House, kick-off 10.30am." - Sheffield International FC.

Worth digging out the whole feed around that.

And then noting that Eton and Harrow school did play a friendly - seemingly with an FA appointed ref.

6 hours ago, bobbruce said:

All games aren’t cancelled they just seem to be picking out games that require a lot of policing. 

It's three Premier games and one European game so far, I think. Unless there are any tasty EFL ones -Sunderland at home against a rival for example - I think that will be it. Most other games run on limited police presence (and, lower down, none at all) and they will also be relying on fewer travelling fans I suspect.