Football

One of my granddaughters went to the England women’s game last week(or the week before) when they won 10-0. She said “it was good because she went with her friends from school. But not as entertaining as the Saints match i took her to watch”. 
Yes get it Me&RL 1 - 0 Football. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I love football, but you can’t beat a good game of rugby league.

My Mum became a belated Leigh fan after we took her to a few Hilton Park games back when they did ace catering options using the ex chefs from the local Georgian House hotel/restaurant.

Then they started doing it on the cheap using a local pub and it was rubbish and she never went back.

Still loved the sport compared to football though.

Edit: should point out I am a Saints fan first like my father, but geographically Leigh was closer.  I’ve also got a very soft spot for Swinton after me moving nearer that ground.  Just the three teams in RL then!

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 2

I'm worried for Nottingham Forest even though I'm not a fan. Bringing in 20 new players was a gamble and it's going to take time to gel,  possibly too much time,  it's not looking good. And with Leicester's problems it could be a long hard winter for the East Midlands. 

9 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I'm worried for Nottingham Forest even though I'm not a fan. Bringing in 20 new players was a gamble and it's going to take time to gel,  possibly too much time,  it's not looking good. And with Leicester's problems it could be a long hard winter for the East Midlands. 

I'm with you on that one.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

On 16/09/2022 at 17:19, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Beverley Town v Retford tomorrow! Really getting into this non-league football. Come on you Beavers! 👍

Beverley Town 1-1 Retford. 

Majority of the possession and chances to Bev but very little idea in the final third. Went behind in the first half due to an absolute stinker of a back pass that turned into an own goal.

Quote of the season so far from the linesman when a Retford player was getting a bit annoyed despite the decision going his way, "alright, calm down fella!" 😂

Attendance: 255

Next up for Bev is Glasshoughton Welfare on Tuesday night. 

• Like 3

Having watched close up and in person a lot of Brendan Rodgers coached teams, I can tell you that defending is not his strong suit.

Neither in terms of systems nor his evaluation of what makes a good defender.  He wants to attack and builds his teams as thus.

Given the new financial reality that Leicester face then I think the reality is they will need a more defensive or balanced approach to make up for the shortfall in class.

Good players have grown old and a lot have moved on and been replaced by worse or youth at best.

Rodgers has done a good job generally there and is not finished career-wise.

But I think both club and man need something new.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I’m staring at the table delirious that Everton are in 13th . Dizzy heights indeed 

A big win for Everton and Neil Maupay will be happy especially.

Think it’s true that Lampard has brought in a few leaders now.

I think in the long run Coady will provide that local voice too that seems to provide a lot of grit and determination in the great Everton (and Liverpool) teams of the past.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

A big win for Everton and Neil Maupay will be happy especially.

Think it’s true that Lampard has brought in a few leaders now.

I think in the long run Coady will provide that local voice too that seems to provide a lot of grit and determination in the great Everton (and Liverpool) teams of the past.

Coady and Tarkowski were the best signings and for hardly anything . Everything is built on that . A lot of the quality further on is still very average but there’s certainly progression there 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Coady and Tarkowski were the best signings and for hardly anything . Everything is built on that . A lot of the quality further on is still very average but there’s certainly progression there 

Very relieved to get a win. Hopefully we can avoid getting dragged into a relegation battle.

Forgive me if somebody has mentioned this, but surely the strangest story this year so far has to be Preston North End.

After 10 games, the total number of goals at their matches has been 7. Until this week, there'd only been 3 goals in the opening 8 games with 5 of them ending 0-0. For context, the next lowest in the Championship, L1 and L2 is 13 from a team that has played fewer games than them.

They must have some pretty bored fans!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Forgive me if somebody has mentioned this, but surely the strangest story this year so far has to be Preston North End.

After 10 games, the total number of goals at their matches has been 7. Until this week, there'd only been 3 goals in the opening 8 games with 5 of them ending 0-0. For context, the next lowest in the Championship, L1 and L2 is 13 from a team that has played fewer games than them.

They must have some pretty bored fans!

From what I've read Preston are right up there with attempts at goal, they just can't convert their chances, and their defence has played heroically,  the games have been okay,  just no goals.

On 17/09/2022 at 17:51, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Next up for Bev is Glasshoughton Welfare on Tuesday night. 

Beverley Town 5-1 Glasshoughton Welfare

A fantastic performance from the Beavers. Unbelievable bicycle kick for Bev's 3rd, easily goal of the season. Up to 9th in the table now. 

Attendance: 301

Next up for Bev at home is Hallam in the League Cup. 

• Like 3

On 18/09/2022 at 19:48, Maximus Decimus said:

surely the strangest story this year so far has to be Preston North End.

Ahem: Doncaster City FC bids for Scottish Cup place under 1136 Treaty of Durham

https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2022-09-22/english-football-club-bids-to-play-in-scottish-cup-under-1136-treaty 

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

56 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Ahem: Doncaster City FC bids for Scottish Cup place under 1136 Treaty of Durham

https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2022-09-22/english-football-club-bids-to-play-in-scottish-cup-under-1136-treaty 

You just need to be in the top 4 in Wales to get into the Scottish (Challenge) Cup.

One of the odder things going on under the radar right now.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I have just read the stats on arrests at football grounds and public disorder outside of stadiums and it looks grim. We do seem to be going backwards with some fans behaviour, it looks as if it’s a badge of honour for some of these fools to be banned from football grounds. I am glad the police are really clamping down on the idiots.
I don’t think RL is as strict, id imagine the Salford fan who threw the pyro onto the pitch on Saturday didn’t get taken away by the stewards and will not be facing a ban from attending RL matches. 

• Like 1

On 22/09/2022 at 19:26, gingerjon said:

You just need to be in the top 4 in Wales to get into the Scottish (Challenge) Cup.

One of the odder things going on under the radar right now.

S4C (Channel 134 on Sky) right now.

TNS who play in Oswestry (England) are being broadcast in Welsh on S4C as they play against Dundee in the Scottish Challenge Cup.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)