Football

46 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Everyone will have their own opinion I am sure.

Talking to a couple of friends who are season ticket holders this weekend suggested to me that as well as individual mistakes and loss of form/confidence, there are structural issues too.

Klopp’s tactical approach involves pushing TAA far forward on the right as the main instigator of creativity and also to link up with Mo Salah amongst others more closely.  That’s not to say everything happens there, but all teams had to address it which can lead to space elsewhere.

Obviously when this happens a space is vacated down Liverpool’s right defensive flank.  This needs to be covered by either the right sided CB or a central midfielder to block passing lanes or the counter attacking left side of the opposition.

My friends who watch Liverpool from the main stand every week say previously Henderson then Fabinho were very good at this unrecognised water-carrying type work in midfield.  There was also a good hand off between themselves and the centre backs.

Now this appears to be breaking down and although not every goal is coming down the right, the root cause of the pressure on the counter certainly is.  This then gets played out as, “Trent can’t defend,”  and there have been mistakes, but I think a combination of tactics and things happening off the ball are at play too.

Hope this makes sense as it was the view of a couple of season ticket holders.

Liverpool need strengthening at the back certainly. Harry Maguire may be available in January, can't go wrong there.

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Josef K said:

My lad showed me a clip of Oldham/Wrexham fans fighting on a main road before their match on Saturday. Violence before & after football matches does seem to be getting worse. The GMP seem to be coming in for a lot of stick but i don’t know what more they can do as they’re so overstretched & understaffed as it is. Banning those fools is the only thing i can see happening. 

Grim that it’s back to such a level.

I think a combination of factors lead to the authorities getting a handle on the previous wave of organised hooliganism around football matches in the past.

Random meetings of lads is hard to police but organised violence can and should be neutralised.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Liverpool need strengthening at the back certainly. Harry Maguire may be available in January, can't go wrong there.

As I said I don’t think it’s as simple as that but that is how the media portray it.

Edit:  and no, we don’t want Maguire!  😂

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

I could never warm to (i.e. I'd shout at the telly when watching alone!) either of these two.

Can't wait to ignore the press reports if this goes to court.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/richard-keys-plans-legal-action-25163178

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

38 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I haven't watched much of Liverpool this season, but I have a thought on this. It may be nonsense, but ...

The loss of Sadio Mane may be more significant than people think. Yes, you've lost his attacking prowess, but he also provided a foil for Salah and Mo looks a bit out of sorts. Also, the forwards used to press really hard and prevented teams breaking out of their own half. This tactic is not working as well without Mane and this puts extra pressure on your defence. Perhaps the real problem is up front?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

8 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

I haven't watched much of Liverpool this season, but I have a thought on this. It may be nonsense, but ...

The loss of Sadio Mane may be more significant than people think. Yes, you've lost his attacking prowess, but he also provided a foil for Salah and Mo looks a bit out of sorts. Also, the forwards used to press really hard and prevented teams breaking out of their own half. This tactic is not working as well without Mane and this puts extra pressure on your defence. Perhaps the real problem is up front?

The loss of Mane has definitely been felt.

There’s a number of factors at play I think.

A testing few weeks coming up for Liverpool now.

9 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Grim that it’s back to such a level.

I think a combination of factors lead to the authorities getting a handle on the previous wave of organised hooliganism around football matches in the past.

Random meetings of lads is hard to police but organised violence can and should be neutralised.

I just don’t understand it “G ref” those fools who are supposedly fans of those clubs now risk being banned from matches. It’s a funny way to show loyalty and love for your club by not being able to attend any games. I hope they get banned for life, but those Stone Island, North Face fooligans will probably take it as a badge of honour. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I just don’t understand it “G ref” those fools who are supposedly fans of those clubs now risk being banned from matches. It’s a funny way to show loyalty and love for your club by not being able to attend any games. I hope they get banned for life, but those Stone Island, North Face fooligans will probably take it as a badge of honour. 

It’s not a sub culture that I’ve ‘moved in’, but speaking to those who did many years ago there’s lots going on involving adrenaline rushes, drugs and building a sense of identity based on these scraps/lifestyle.

Most of the violence I’ve seen at the football was very far removed from that which is glamourised previously in books and films and now via social media.  Less brave men fighting brave men and more groups of lads picking on the vulnerable.

Cant help that there’s a general feeling of policing and judicial system creaking a bit plus a cost of living crisis in which this stuff offers an outlet.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The loss of Mane has definitely been felt.

There’s a number of factors at play I think.

A testing few weeks coming up for Liverpool now.

I think there’s a bit of a fatigue issue after going after every trophy last year. Plus Mane who was definitely important with the press that the team use which allowed the back four to keep such a high line. Added to this Milner and Henderson have lost something in the legs and they were very important covering for the fullbacks when they bombed forward. Think we needed to sign a Gallagher or Phillips or both in the off season to at least start the process of strengthening the midfield. We didn’t so we are where we are. 

• Like 2

On 04/10/2022 at 00:16, Gerrumonside ref said:

Everyone will have their own opinion I am sure.

Talking to a couple of friends who are season ticket holders this weekend suggested to me that as well as individual mistakes and loss of form/confidence, there are structural issues too.

Klopp’s tactical approach involves pushing TAA far forward on the right as the main instigator of creativity and also to link up with Mo Salah amongst others more closely.  That’s not to say everything happens there, but all teams had to address it which can lead to space elsewhere.

Obviously when this happens a space is vacated down Liverpool’s right defensive flank.  This needs to be covered by either the right sided CB or a central midfielder to block passing lanes or the counter attacking left side of the opposition.

My friends who watch Liverpool from the main stand every week say previously Henderson then Fabinho were very good at this unrecognised water-carrying type work in midfield.  There was also a good hand off between themselves and the centre backs.

Now this appears to be breaking down and although not every goal is coming down the right, the root cause of the pressure on the counter certainly is.  This then gets played out as, “Trent can’t defend,”  and there have been mistakes, but I think a combination of tactics and things happening off the ball are at play too.

Hope this makes sense as it was the view of a couple of season ticket holders.

Thanks for that. 

• Thanks 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Beverley crash out of the NCEL Cup to Hallam from the division above by 0-2, a scoreline the doesn't reflect the game at all. Beverley the far superior team and could have had 5 in the second half before conceding 2 late goals. 

140 loyal souls braved the East Riding rain. Cherry Burton in the East Riding County Cup next week, should be a very easy win that one. 

• Like 2

Wigan athletic are playing Cardiff at home and they are playing the game with one goal 2” higher than the other. Was found out before kickoff but would’ve taken too long to fix so just played on. As I type Cardiff have just scored in the big goal. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Wigan athletic are playing Cardiff at home and they are playing the game with one goal 2” higher than the other. Was found out before kickoff but would’ve taken too long to fix so just played on. As I type Cardiff have just scored in the big goal. 

Hang on ... what?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Related to something Wigan Warriors have done according to Jeff.

But ... it's not the size of a pitch. Goals have to be the right size.

This is not Nam. There are rules.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

But ... it's not the size of a pitch. Goals have to be the right size.

This is not Nam. There are rules.

Something to do with goalposts being moved and removed by Wigan RL was what the Soccer Saturday reporter seemed to suggest.

Apparently it was decided that the match would be delayed too long to sort it out.

Funny as it is, I wonder if it will only serve to drive a bigger wedge between the Latics and Wigan RL?

16 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Something to do with goalposts being moved and removed by Wigan RL was what the Soccer Saturday reporter seemed to suggest.

Apparently it was decided that the match would be delayed too long to sort it out.

Funny as it is, I wonder if it will only serve to drive a bigger wedge between the Latics and Wigan RL?

Did they have rush keepers too?

• Haha 1

Anyway, went to England v USA at Wembley last night.

Absolutely superb evening. An international friendly that was actually competitive and fun? Who knew such things were possible?

Also, fantastic pre-match build up that got the atmosphere going so that even if the match had been ropey everyone would have left still having been entertained. A lot of lessons for the RFL to learn with regards to that final bit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Anyway, went to England v USA at Wembley last night.

Absolutely superb evening. An international friendly that was actually competitive and fun? Who knew such things were possible?

Also, fantastic pre-match build up that got the atmosphere going so that even if the match had been ropey everyone would have left still having been entertained. A lot of lessons for the RFL to learn with regards to that final bit.

Was it full strength USA? They're the powerhouses of women's football aren't they?

17 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Was it full strength USA? They're the powerhouses of women's football aren't they?

As far as I can tell, it was a full strength USA and, until literally the final two minutes when they made a few unneeded subs, they were playing to win.

There was some controversy but England winning this game is a big deal.

Erling Haaland is ridiculous and it's not fair to have him and de Bruyne in the same team.

I suggest they move to Fantasy Manager rules and we'll see how good Pep is then!

🙂

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"