Football

13 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Hungary , Poland and Denmark are top ranked teams in the draw ?

As previously stated,  The Nations League is important,  if not in itself, but for seedings for Euro 24. The ten seeded teams from pot 1 were best 10 NL performers, minus Germany who qualify as hosts, England ended bottom of their NL group and France did poorly , hence they miss out on top tier rank.

Ten groups,  top two qualify, plus four via play offs. Play off places decided totally by Nations League positions. Group winners from NL leagues B,C and possibly D are guaranteed play off places, unless they qualify via Euro 24 groups,  then their place goes to next best NL performer. Impressive joined up thinking from UEFA.

Edited by HawkMan

On 08/10/2022 at 16:35, bobbruce said:

Wigan athletic are playing Cardiff at home and they are playing the game with one goal 2” higher than the other. Was found out before kickoff but would’ve taken too long to fix so just played on. As I type Cardiff have just scored in the big goal. 

The Tics have had a couple of bad results in which they should’ve really picked up the full 6pts or at least 4. 

13 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Just when ypou think Womens football is a welcome breath of fresh air , along comes the Ireland Team and brings  probably the first negative story of their game .

It is very, very stupid and, sadly, overshadowed an emotional and very clear end-of-game interview with the goal scorer.

Apologies were very swiftly given, at least, and do seem sincere (or as sincere as they can be when they're in response to getting caught).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

UEFA are now investigating the incident . Unfortunately the apology seemed to suggest they were sorry it ended up on social media (i.e. got caught) , rather than apologising for the fact that a Team of Lady Footballers thought it appropriate to sing them in the first place .

1 hour ago, ivans82 said:

UEFA are now investigating the incident . Unfortunately the apology seemed to suggest they were sorry it ended up on social media (i.e. got caught) , rather than apologising for the fact that a Team of Lady Footballers thought it appropriate to sing them in the first place .

Correction. Women footballers not lady footballers. They've shown themselves every bit as capable as men footballers to act as idiots.

On 03/10/2022 at 12:16, Gerrumonside ref said:

Everyone will have their own opinion I am sure.

Talking to a couple of friends who are season ticket holders this weekend suggested to me that as well as individual mistakes and loss of form/confidence, there are structural issues too.

Klopp’s tactical approach involves pushing TAA far forward on the right as the main instigator of creativity and also to link up with Mo Salah amongst others more closely.  That’s not to say everything happens there, but all teams had to address it which can lead to space elsewhere.

Obviously when this happens a space is vacated down Liverpool’s right defensive flank.  This needs to be covered by either the right sided CB or a central midfielder to block passing lanes or the counter attacking left side of the opposition.

My friends who watch Liverpool from the main stand every week say previously Henderson then Fabinho were very good at this unrecognised water-carrying type work in midfield.  There was also a good hand off between themselves and the centre backs.

Now this appears to be breaking down and although not every goal is coming down the right, the root cause of the pressure on the counter certainly is.  This then gets played out as, “Trent can’t defend,”  and there have been mistakes, but I think a combination of tactics and things happening off the ball are at play too.

Hope this makes sense as it was the view of a couple of season ticket holders.

Makes absolute sense. He can't defend, but he couldnt defend last year either, but the midfield and Mane's work rate up top helps mask that.

On 03/10/2022 at 13:04, HawkMan said:

Liverpool need strengthening at the back certainly. Harry Maguire may be available in January, can't go wrong there.

Same wi MaGuire. He can defend and he can be decent in possession. He struggles when he has to play so deep because De Gea won't stand off his line, the midfield becomes too big and then McT and Fred can't cover the gaps because structurally it's not right.

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

I put £10 Each Way on Liverpool yesterday at Coral to win the league at 33/1, that is definitively the last of my betting for 2022.
I believe a lot of football supporters are calling the VAR/football a farce and a joke after Leeds lost at home to Arsenal.

I wonder if those Leeds Rhinos fans who said they’d had enough of RL and would go and watch Leeds Utd instead, have realised that it’s not just RL that has its problems. Sport always will have controversial moments until the day we get RoboRefs (without machine guns).
But even they would have stopped working at Elland Road today. 

18 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I put £10 Each Way on Liverpool yesterday at Coral to win the league at 33/1, that is definitively the last of my betting for 2022.
I believe a lot of football supporters are calling the VAR/football a farce and a joke after Leeds lost at home to Arsenal.

I wonder if those Leeds Rhinos fans who said they’d had enough of RL and would go and watch Leeds Utd instead, have realised that it’s not just RL that has its problems. Sport always will have controversial moments until the day we get RoboRefs (without machine guns).
But even they would have stopped working at Elland Road today. 

You got a good bet.

I lost a £5 free bet on the Liverpool v Man City game. In hindsight, Liverpool at 13/5 were the best bet to have.

I opted for 10/11 Man City, which was poor considering Liverpool never lose at home. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Niels said:

You got a good bet.

I lost a £5 free bet on the Liverpool v Man City game. In hindsight, Liverpool at 13/5 were the best bet to have.

I opted for 10/11 Man City, which was poor considering Liverpool never lose at home. 

I wonder if many had a flutter on whether Haarland scored or not. I don't bet so know little about it but I do find the odds betting companies put out interesting. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

9 hours ago, Josef K said:

What did it get wrong?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

What did it get wrong?

Going by what my Leeds Utd friends have said, one thinks the red card should have stood for the Arsenal player and he should’ve been sent off. The other Leeds fan thinks “even if it was a yellow card it should’ve been a penalty. They was unlucky and was robbed by the official & VAR”. 

Not wanting to focus on Klopp, but the way managers scream at 4th officials / linesfolk is shameful.

Would it be so hard to start a season and say no more? Everyone speaking to ref etc who isnt a captain to be booked. Stick to it, it'll be a non issue after 6 games.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

A couple of much needed wins tonight for Hull City, Coventry, Middlesbrough at the bottom of the table. It’s tight at the top with QPR in first place but will Michael Beale make the right choice if he joins Wolves. It might be his only choice to manage in the Premier League, it’s a tough one for him. 

So..... I saw a bit of a game a couple of weeks ago, think it was Arsenal -... someone? Liverpool?? anyway there was a penalty for reasons I couldn't understand. Ok, that's fine.

Then last weekend I saw some of the Liverpool- Man City game where City had a goal disallowed for what looked like (to me) a completely trivial reason where a Liverpool player fell down in a built up area. I honestly think football today, and specifically the PL is a bit of a joke. A huge, rich joke, but one all the same. 

10 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

So..... I saw a bit of a game a couple of weeks ago, think it was Arsenal -... someone? Liverpool?? anyway there was a penalty for reasons I couldn't understand. Ok, that's fine.

Then last weekend I saw some of the Liverpool- Man City game where City had a goal disallowed for what looked like (to me) a completely trivial reason where a Liverpool player fell down in a built up area. I honestly think football today, and specifically the PL is a bit of a joke. A huge, rich joke, but one all the same. 

A joke that you seem to watch...

Just now, The Masked Poster said:

In the pub in the background perhaps, wouldn't pay for it in washers mate. I saw some of the Leeds-Leicester game last night too but it doesn't mean I was interested. 

We have very different interpretations of the word interested.