Football

Beverley Town 2-2 Athersley Recreation. 

A great comeback by Bev after being 2 down at halftime and having a penalty saved early in the second half. I must say I do think we are getting worse as the season is progressing. Far too much hoof ball and rushed plays. 

162 souls braved the Arctic conditions and sideways rain to watch some live football which is always admirable! 

At home next week as well to Ollerton if I remember rightly. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Beverley Town 2-2 Athersley Recreation. 

A great comeback by Bev after being 2 down at halftime and having a penalty saved early in the second half. I must say I do think we are getting worse as the season is progressing. Far too much hoof ball and rushed plays. 

162 souls braved the Arctic conditions and sideways rain to watch some live football which is always admirable! 

At home next week as well to Ollerton if I remember rightly. 

The short journey from my front door to Westfield in the Mid Sussex League. Today's opponents: Reigate Priory. So a Mid Sussex League match featuring zero teams from mid Sussex.

Reigate Priory are an interesting one. Founded in 1870, they were one of the teams to buy a share of the first FA Challenge Cup and entered in 1871/2 (the first tournament). However, drawn away at Royal Engineers, they decided not to travel so the Engineers proceeded to the next round by walkover and became, in due course, the first losing finalists.

Finished 2-2 today. We had a sin-binning, a straight red card and a fair bit of action. Crowd of about 40. Westfield will be expecting more when they eventually move into their much longed-for new ground next year.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 3 weeks later...

Story about the Argentine goalie doing the rounds at the moment , apparently he asked his team mates for a minutes silence for Mbappe after the world cup final during their celebrations in the dressing room post match and posed with a doll depicting the player . Mbappes reply to this was "Celebrations are not my problem , i don`t waste energy on such futile things"..................says the Man shown screaming for all he was worth , then grinning like a chesire cat at Harry Kanes missed penalty .

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Mo Salah currently holds the record for most goals in a 38 Game Premier League season with 32.

Haaland is on 20 Goals with just the 23 games remaining...

I’m not a big fan of “Premier League” records.

Surely the question is can Haaland break Dixie Dean’s single season record or not?

My Grandad actually saw Dean’s crazy last game of the season at Goodison Park against Arsenal where he claimed the record.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

47 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Surely the question is can Haaland break Dixie Dean’s single season record or not?

My Grandad actually saw Dean’s crazy last game of the season at Goodison Park against Arsenal where he claimed the record.

He won't be far off Dean I suspect. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Although I think he’ll break all kinds of modern records at City he isn’t going to get anywhere near 60 league goals. 

He's on 21 after 16 games, I think he's easily hitting 40 plus this season in the League. Few more hattricks in there who knows.

On 31/12/2022 at 12:37, Gerrumonside ref said:

Are you suggesting there was football before the Premier League? Surely not!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hw88 said:

Are you suggesting there was football before the Premier League? Surely not!

aye and dixie dean will have called in his local wmc on the way to the game for a couple of pints and to pick his fags up before breaking the record 

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

aye and dixie dean will have called in his local wmc on the way to the game for a couple of pints and to pick his fags up before breaking the record 

So did the opposition it would seem!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

and had a fish and chip supper after the match ................... none of this fancy pasta and salad ######!

• Like 1

Well I certainly wouldn't have expected any team let alone Arsenal, to be 7 points clear at the top at this stage of the season. I'm keeping an eye on Newcastle, conceded the least goals, longest unbeaten run this season, longest winning streak, only lost 1 game but they are drawing too many at the moment.

6 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It'll be eye rolling and passive aggressive gestures before you know it .....it's been a curse on the East Yorkshire soccer leagues for years 

Bev and Selby play in the Northern Counties East League Division 1. I'll have you know that's all of Yorkshire and parts of Nottinghamshire! The 250 or so fans we get down every week put Ultras to shame! 

• Haha 1