Football

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

They spent a lot on Trevor Francis and I think the level of investment to get promoted and then win the league wasn’t insubstantial though.

My own view on Brian Clough is he was a great man-manager, motivator and self-publicist!

His assistant Peter Taylor should get as much of the plaudits for the actual coaching, tactics and the identification of key players.  I believe this is borne out by the success they had together at other clubs and not when apart.

This is no slight on Clough as all the great managers like Busby, Shankly, Paisley and Ferguson relied on their coaching teams and he was no different.

I have a feeling it was £999,999.99p so that he didn't have the pressure of being the first £million player!

I reckon if you look at whoever is top of the different divisions today they will have spent more than most of their rivals to get there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hw88 said:

I have a feeling it was £999,999.99p so that he didn't have the pressure of being the first £million player!

I reckon if you look at whoever is top of the different divisions today they will have spent more than most of their rivals to get there.

Yes  Also they bought Francis in 1979, the year after they won the league. He didn't win the league with them. 

The league winning team was made up of signings most other teams discarded. McGovern, O'Hare, Burns etc. Shilton was a key buy but he was the only expensive signing.

1 hour ago, Niels said:

Yes  Also they bought Francis in 1979, the year after they won the league. He didn't win the league with them. 

The league winning team was made up of signings most other teams discarded. McGovern, O'Hare, Burns etc. Shilton was a key buy but he was the only expensive signing.

That’s how the game was back then Liverpool/Villa the other successful sides at the time weren’t spending millions either. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Garetn Bale has retired from playing club and international football.

Didn't he retire from club football about a year after going to Real Madrid?😉

Edited by tonyXIII

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay.

In the bowels of the Sussex County Women's League Division One today I saw something I had never seen happen at a game before.

I checked with my Dad (first game 1952, over 2,000 matches since) and he hasn't seen it either.

The Assistant Referee was not only sent off but expelled from the ground.

I shall now explain for those of you who have never watched a grassroots game in your lives.

Once you reach a certain tier in both men's and women's football the assistants are provided by the clubs. They do actually have to be reasonably impartial. I've seen referees ask for the liner to be swapped if they are being too obviously in favour of their own sides.

Today, early in the second half. The Eastbourne Town provided assistant disagreed with the referee. And he shouted his annoyance. The ref goes over to him and says he will now need for him to hand his flag to someone else as he can't be undermined like that. This causes more 'animated discussion'.

The upshot is that the assistant is, technically, red carded. He marches off to the stands.

The ref then decides that, actually, that isn't good enough and he needs the man physically removed from the ground. And so some poor sap from the Eastbourne bench has to go over and do this. And the referee refuses to restart the match until he is gone.

Bear in mind this is a non league ground. Everyone can hear every word.

The funniest thing about it all? The decision that provoked the wrath was one of the worst I have seen in football in a long, long time. The liner was right to be annoyed.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Okay.

In the bowels of the Sussex County Women's League Division One today I saw something I had never seen happen at a game before.

I checked with my Dad (first game 1952, over 2,000 matches since) and he hasn't seen it either.

I shall now explain for those of you who have never watched a grassroots game in your lives.

Once you reach a certain tier in both men's and women's football the assistants are provided by the clubs. They do actually have to be reasonably impartial. I've seen referees ask for the liner to be swapped if they are being too obviously in favour of their own sides.

Today, early in the second half. The Eastbourne Town provided assistant disagreed with the referee. And he shouted his annoyance. The ref goes over to him and says he will now need for him to hand his flag to someone else as he can't be undermined like that. This causes more 'animated discussion'.

The upshot is that the assistant is, technically, red carded. He marches off to the stands.

The ref then decides that, actually, that isn't good enough and he needs the man physically removed from the ground. And so some poor sap from the Eastbourne bench has to go over and do this. And the referee refuses to restart the match until he is gone.

The funniest thing about it all? The decision that provoked the wrath was one of the worst I have seen in football in a long, long time. The liner was right to be annoyed.

Been to plenty of amateur football before but not seen that I must say.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Okay.

https://youtu.be/Tn4LQyKUQMk

Must watch

• Haha 2

On 29/01/2023 at 15:37, Wolford6 said:

Wrexham FA Cup game on BBC at 4pm. A friend of mine is the Project Manager for the new stand.

This little clip just popped up in my YouTube recommends:

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Anyone know any entertaining YouTube channels based around the world of non-league football that you recommend I have a watch of? Maybe a bit of a football/travel type thing? 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Really interesting debate here;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64493480

The Premier league is now effectively the European Super League by default. This transfer window saw the EPL outspend the other major leagues by 4 times  as much. In effect the EPL is saving some smaller leagues like Belgium from financial disaster.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Really interesting debate here;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64493480

The Premier league is now effectively the European Super League by default. This transfer window saw the EPL outspend the other major leagues by 4 times  as much. In effect the EPL is saving some smaller leagues like Belgium from financial disaster.

This was argaubly the main reason why the European Super League failed, it already exists in England. 

La Liga and its top clubs are in a situation entirely of their own making however.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

It was, once the Premier League teams were out the concept was dead.

That's not what you said though, by saying that the ESL failed because it already existed in England doesn't make sense. If that was the case, why would the clubs want to join (and they still do)? 

The root cause of the failure was a furious backlash from the fans and subsequently politicians across Europe. It would have been interesting if they wouldn't have granted the 12/14 clubs entry in perpetuity and expanded/reformatted the Champions League instead. Too greedy, too early. 

Anyway, an interesting factoid is that i worked at BoNY at the time of the Glazers takeover (would have been 2004) and under my managers approval, cancelled the 2 trades effectively confirming the purchase; 1 for 400m and one for for around 370m if i remember rightly. Cancelled them next day as well as the bank at their end messed it up. Delayed it by 2 days 🙂

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

30 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It was, once the Premier League teams were out the concept was dead.

On the Gabrielle Marcotti and Julien Laurens podcast, which btw can be accessed by a sky box if you have BT sport, this was discussed. 

The big La liga and serie A clubs are desperate,  and the old saying if you can't beat them join them doesn't apply because they can't join the EPL, or beat it financially,  so the Super league was an idea to derail the Premier League,  simply that.

Why was 6 English teams invited , more than any other big league? Because the likes of Madrid,  Juve etc hoped that they would get big financial rewards for the idea itself but more importantly divert tv monies away from the EPL.

As the comments on the BBC HYS page say, the other leagues need to improve their product to compete.

Gab Marcotti points out that as far as FFP goes, UEFA are investigating a number of clubs , none of them Premier league clubs. The EPL has its money from fair means, ie selling their product and being popular the globe over. Mention of cycles and once again the Spanish or Italian leagues may be top dog as previously may be wrong this time. The EPL seems unstoppable and a situation whereby the relationship between the Premier League and the rest is like today's situation between the NBA and the rest of basketball is a distinct possibility, hence the big Continental clubs are really panicking.

Edited by HawkMan