Football

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Thinking out of the box here but apply that to our sport. If say London were to do a better job, win more games, get back to where they were in the nation's consciousness, pull in the Aussie -pats etc, would the increase in crowds be down to glory hunters?

Some would be glory hunters, some would be genuine fans. The difference is that many Londoners ... even anyone South of Derby have  have no idea about Rugby League. Manchester people knew all about soccer when City were a limited-cash British team playing in an traditional stadium. The team's position now is 70%(?) due to free Arab cash and a free new stadium (paid for by the taxpayer).

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Man City = Newcastle.

Except Newcastle has always had a terrific fanbase. Wait for the Manc Moaners if Newcastle overtake them. Pots and kettles of an ebony persuasion.

Villa, Sheffield Wednesay, Everton, Leeds could all be an equivalent with Arab megamoney and a new stadium.

I'm not a great soccer fan and never watch the Premiership. I watch Wales because I'd pay money to watch a Wales team play tiddlywinks. Obviously, I'd draw the line at tennis and anything to do with a horse, an engine and a swimming pool..

Edited by Wolford6

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Free new stadium? Are you sure? The stadium is owned by Manchester City Council and leased by the football club on a 'fully repairing' basis. All operating, maintenance and future capital costs are borne by the club.

Remarkably similar to Odsal, except that the Etihad was built by the government and handed to Manchester Council. Odsal was built by Bradford Council from a contoured landfill site. In fairness, the Council did strictly control what was refuse was tipped there. 

Perhaps the government will also step up and build us a new £122million stadium as well.

Can't wait 😉

57 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

70% of those fans are glory hunters who  never watched the team when it was in the Second Division. Average attendance 28,261.

That's what Sheffield United get now and 10,000 less than Sunderland get.

That average attendance was excellent for the period. 1982-86 football was in decline so it's difficult to compare.

Tottenham only averaged 2,000 more in the first division for the same duration. 

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Free new stadium? Are you sure? The stadium is owned by Manchester City Council and leased by the football club on a 'fully repairing' basis. All operating, maintenance and future capital costs are borne by the club.

I mean, they didn't pay to build it and they get to keep all profits from it. I don't think saying that they have to pay maintenance detracts from that. If someone gifted me a house I wouldn't be arguing it wasn't free because I have to pay to heat it. 

• Like 2

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

I did a bit of work on the carpark zone for the Commonwealth Games at Manchester. To be fair to the Council it must have spent millions on knocking down loads of terraced houses to provide parking. To maintain capacity, terraced houses were soft-stripped, knocked into their cellars and surface-compacted for car parking. After the games, the carparks were re-exposed  for redevelopment.

The area was extremely rough. A Police van patrolled the streets all day, just for the locals to know that they were safe (i.e. also being watched). There was a small parade of shops that had grilles over the windows and doors ... except for one really glossy one - a 24-hour solicitors.

The name of this glorious suburb ... Bradford!!

https://www.streetcheck.co.uk/crime/m407az

Edited by Wolford6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I mean, they didn't pay to build it and they get to keep all profits from it. I don't think saying that they have to pay maintenance detracts from that. If someone gifted me a house I wouldn't be arguing it wasn't free because I have to pay to heat it. 

They pay rent of £5.5 million a year to the council. City are also responsible for any capital work. Thus it's not free.

• Haha 1

In 2021/22, commercial revenue represented Manchester City's largest source of income, generating 373 million euros for the club. The second-largest revenue stream was broadcasting, at 294 million euros, while matchday revenue returned to pre-coronavirus (COVID-19) levels.

So rent amounts to less than 2% of turnover

https://www.statista.com/statistics/251154/revenue-of-manchester-city-by-stream/

I've tried to search for this answer, perhaps I'm not asking the question correctly while searching.

However, since when have new players been able to take over a squad number mid-season? I'm thinking particularly of Chelsea no. 5 was Jorginho until January now it's Enzo Fernandez.

No biggie, just wondering.

On 07/02/2023 at 09:57, JohnM said:

Sounds like the definition of a free stadium to me 

9 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

They still got their stadium built for them, just like Leigh did.

No they didn't. It was an existing stadium. 

If you are genuinely interested, go and visit the area now and see how much City have spent on capital works.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Manchester_Stadium

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

If you are genuinely interested, go and visit the area now and see how much City have spent on capital works.

I know Sheikh Mansour has been good for City but I doubt even he could have them move into a brand new Stadium that didn't exist...

It's great what has happened with the Etihad Campus and the development of that part of Manchester. 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

An existing stadium that was built with clear plans for them to move into once the CG were over 

The rent and rates are peanuts in PL terms 

Very fortunate 

• Like 1

Talking of stadiums, my local nonleague club have begun construction works on two spectator canopies to provide some more covered viewing areas and a huge net at one end of the ground to stop balls getting stuck in trees and having to get the local pack of urchins to throw sticks and get them down. 

They already had a 56 seater stand because 50 seats is a requirement in this league but they had to crowd fund for that stand a few years ago. It was heartening that they got that built in memory of a local PE teacher who died and was a massive fan of the club. At least the club are making some decent money these days with crowds of around 250-300 and haven't had to crowd fund for the latest ground improvements. 

I don't know what rent they pay on the ground or whether they are co-owners with the cricket club that shares some of the facilities. I imagine the costs are more crippling than Man City's though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

An existing stadium that was built with clear plans for them to move into once the CG were over 

The rent and rates are peanuts in PL terms 

Very fortunate 

You know what? I think I prefer the Wikipedia version, which goes into the history behind the whole project.