Football

35 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Antonio Conte throws Tottenham's Players, the club itself and the Chairman under a bus. As a Tottenham fan I have to say he is absolutely right.

Tottenham fan? East London? What's wrong with WHU?😀

Fulham.🤬 They had United beaten, then killed the hopes and dreams of all right-thinking football fans by their completely unacceptable behaviour. Serious punishment must surely follow.

Brighton, it's down to you, now. "Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the FA Cup semi-final last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Fulham.🤬 They had United beaten, then killed the hopes and dreams of all right-thinking football fans by their completely unacceptable behaviour. Serious punishment must surely follow.

Brighton, it's down to you, now. "Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the FA Cup semi-final last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'

I love it, John. Thank you for bringing a smile to my face.

• Haha 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

As a right minded neutral fan,my team is out, I'd like to see a Manchester derby in the final.

Obviously City fans don't,  because City would probably lose. 😉 And that's the only hope of silverware they've got, they won't get passed Bayern and/or Real Madrid and Arsenal are gonna win the league, sadly.

Edited by HawkMan

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

As a right minded neutral fan,my team is out, I'd like to see a Manchester derby in the final.

Obviously City fans don't,  because City would probably lose. 😉 And that's the only hope of silverware they've got, they won't get passed Bayern and/or Real Madrid and Arsenal are gonna win the league, sadly.

If you cant get "passed" right, it kind of devalues your other points.😀

( but then, this IS City we're talking about.)

11 minutes ago, JohnM said:

If you cant get "passed" right, it kind of devalues your other points.😀

( but then, this IS City we're talking about.)

Oh dearie me! I DID get passed right!

"Past " is only used in a historical sense,  ie the past. Eg: I passed the bus in my car, NOT I past the bus.

10 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Oh dearie me! I DID get passed right!

"Past " is only used in a historical sense,  ie the past. Eg: I passed the bus in my car, NOT I past the bus.

No, it isn't.

We are past the point of no return. "Past" here is a preposition.

We have passed the point of no return. "Passed" here is the past participle of the verb, "to pass". (Note, "passed" is also the past simple tense of the verb, "to pass", as in "I passed my test yesterday")

HTH

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

No, it isn't.

We are past the point of no return. "Past" here is a preposition.

We have passed the point of no return. "Passed" here is the past participle of the verb, "to pass". (Note, "passed" is also the past simple tense of the verb, "to pass", as in "I passed my test yesterday")

HTH

Interesting, I bow to your knowledge. English is full of these little conundrums.

So is it; Manchester City got passed Bayern Munich ( if they do) or past Bayern Munich? I'm really confused!

Edited by HawkMan

32 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Interesting, I bow to your knowledge. English is full of these little conundrums.

So is it; Manchester City got passed Bayern Munich ( if they do) or past Bayern Munich? I'm really confused!

It is a complicated language when you delve into the fine detail. Spare a thought for my poor Greek students who are trying to learn English!

It is City got past Bayern. In this case, it refers to the relative positions. You can't really use the verb form here. City passed a stern test provided by Bayern would work, but it is awkward. It can get even more complicated, City got passed by Liverpool, means Liverpool are now higher in the table than City. (It is in the passive voice and should be "have been passed", but uses an informal structure with "got")

I use Liverpool in a purely hypothetical way, of course!

Edit to add. It really isn't worth getting your (anyone's) knickers in a twist over it, which is why I didn't, and wouldn't, pull anyone up over it. I waited until you insisted you were right. I hope I haven't offended you.

Edited by tonyXIII
  • Like 1

Two Lancastrians arguing about syntax is roughly equivalent to ...

Two Bald Men arguing over a Comb.

Fortunately, us Welsh have never felt much need to talk proper. And writing proper is not necessary for scratch cards.

😉😉

Edited by Wolford6
  • Haha 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 19/03/2023 at 09:31, JohnM said:

Haaland is ......

22 years old.

Just sayin' 👍

The key for Haaland will be remaining injury free. He's old enough to suggest that he will.

Genuine conversations are to be had with Haaland. Goals versus fewer goal and contribution. Which is the preference?

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

5 hours ago, MattSantos said:

The key for Haaland will be remaining injury free. He's old enough to suggest that he will.

Genuine conversations are to be had with Haaland. Goals versus fewer goal and contribution. Which is the preference?

Good question. In my opinion, Guardiola hasn't completely decided yet. He seems to have emerged finally  from a post WC attempt at contribution and is back to going for goals..for the present.

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Harry Kane has broken the England goal scoring record. 54 goals in 81 games. England! England! 

And we beat Italy, a country which has always been one of England's huge psychological bugbears.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

And we beat Italy, a country which has always been one of England's huge psychological bugbears.

Indeed.

Played them 12 times since the famous "then one night in Rome" draw in 1997 and this was only England's second win.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Non-League weekend was definitely a success down my local 10th division side. Our 2nd highest attendance of all time at 315 spectators. A lot of people attending for the first time and hopefully we'll be seeing them again.

All the characters were out in force with the highlights being a couple of away fan old boys who spent the entire game shouting obvious tactics at their players and receiving annoyed looks from said players in return; I get the impression these old boys have been going to see their club for 70 years and have basically done the same thing every game. 

Another highlight was the supposed lifetime West Ham fan who was there with his dog and spent the whole first half preaching about football to a couple of home supporters who were just listening to him to be polite despite the fact it was obvious from what he was saying that the West Ham fan didn't actually know a whole lot about football, or indeed West Ham, beyond the basic grounding most people with a little interest in the sport have. 

Still, despite these couple of characters nothing was going to stop me enjoying a very entertaining game of football in the driving rain that lasted for most of the game. Unfortunately though the lino didn't slip over like we were all praying for to happen. Lucky we just finished building two new covered standing areas last week! 👍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

though the lino didn't slip over like we were all praying for to happen ...

Always a classic!

Rain permitting - the grounds are sodden and it's raining already this morning - I'm off to Eastbourne United AFC v Hastings in the London & SE Women's later. The Oval is something of an 'old school' ground, especially the bar.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Always a classic!

Rain permitting - the grounds are sodden and it's raining already this morning - I'm off to Eastbourne United AFC v Hastings in the London & SE Women's later. The Oval is something of an 'old school' ground, especially the bar.

The rain did not permit so I went to Newhaven.

The photo shows the state of the grass. Newhaven installed an artificial pitch last summer or else they wouldn't have had a game either.

Newhavenphoto.jpg.6b0500d7ff739d396c8b1af0bcdcfb04.jpg