Football

Watched some of the Raith v Hamilton game in the Scottish Challenge Cup Final while waiting for the England Ukraine game. Quite a decent game , it was on BBC Alba channel 169 on sky. Enjoyed it despite a mix of English and Gaelic commentary. I think they have some Scottish championship matches on, so I hope to see if Queens Park get promoted, currently they're top. But where will they play if they get promoted? They want to build a stadium at Lesser Hampden of 1,700 or so capacity only. Currently they ground share, will be intriguing to see if they go up and what happens.

On 26/03/2023 at 21:29, HawkMan said:

Watched some of the Raith v Hamilton game in the Scottish Challenge Cup Final while waiting for the England Ukraine game. Quite a decent game , it was on BBC Alba channel 169 on sky. Enjoyed it despite a mix of English and Gaelic commentary. I think they have some Scottish championship matches on, so I hope to see if Queens Park get promoted, currently they're top. But where will they play if they get promoted? They want to build a stadium at Lesser Hampden of 1,700 or so capacity only. Currently they ground share, will be intriguing to see if they go up and what happens.

I do enjoy the lower scottish league teams on bbc alba and bbc Scotland some great games in old school grounds and good atmosphere. Not so keen on a lot of those artificial surfaces a few use though 

31 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Anyone see that nutting by the Rangers women’s coach after the derby . Shocking 

Just properly weird.

Decent enough game, though. Pleased neither won as it means Glasgow City stay properly top.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Not as shocking as the defending for the late equaliser sadly!

The opening goal was worse

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Full Time - Scotland 2:0 Spain.

Yes, you read that correctly.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not quite Jimmy Glass because there are still games left but this moves us out of the relegation spots

2 hours ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

So Chelsea sack Potter, apparently it cost Chelsea 21 million to get his release from Brighton and almost 60 million to sack him.

Lunacy running that club it seems. Couldn't happen to a better lot!

Potter and Rodgers going makes it interesting for clubs lining up jobs either in the summer or even now.

Potter must be on Spurs' radar.

Likewise Leeds have an interesting choice to make on Gracia should we stay up and I would love them to bring in Rodgers.

West Ham will be considering Moyes' future too. 

9 hours ago, JohnM said:

Big Sam available?

Can they afford the "sweetener"? 😱

Edited by tonyXIII
  • Haha 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Lot of focus on Kane but it should be on Doucoure . He let us down badly . We’ve got no quality but they were scrapping and that game was winnable , then he does that and gets a 3 game ban . Kane did what footballers do . Spurs showed how brittle they were after they scored. Add a little attacking edge to the effort and hopefully we’ll squeak out if it until next season

One of the funniest things I've ever witnessed at a football game happened tonight at Beverley Town v Harrogate Railway Athletic. 

Ball goes into the crowd and fans are just doing their duty by holding onto the ball and wasting time. Harrogate keeper loses his mind and jumps into the crowd, tackling a fan and starting a fight. He gets out of the crowd and gets told off by the ref. Once the game restarts the entire crowd start chanting about his weight. He then turns to the fans just behind the goal and starts gobbing off to them, almost starting another fight while the game is going on. A bad tackle goes in and a 22 man brawl ensues, fueled by the craziness that had just played out in the crowd. I've never seen a player lose his mind like that before! 

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Big week for LUFC started well last night, another win at home against palace really does give a bit of breathing space.

How many points will be needed to be safe?

not sure but watching the game it was evident that that was 2 championship teams playing in the premiership - having said that there are about 8 or 9  teams in the premier league that are only championship standard and making up the numbers 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

51 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

not sure but watching the game it was evident that that was 2 championship teams playing in the premiership - having said that there are about 8 or 9  teams in the premier league that are only championship standard and making up the numbers 

The standard of the PL has never been higher, hence about nine teams are vying to avoid relegation. True, 8 or 9 teams cannot realistically win it, or even get into top 6, but the standard is higher than the championship. I've seen a fair amount of championship matches, enjoyed them, but only Burnley and possibly Sheffield United are anywhere the standard of say Leicester or Leeds, or even Bournemouth.

Edited by HawkMan

2 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Nonsense, the standard of the PL has never been higher, hence about nine teams are vying to avoid relegation. True, 8 or 9 teams cannot realistically win it, or even get into top 6, but the standard is higher than the championship. I've seen a fair amount of championship matches, enjoyed them, but only Burnley and possibly Sheffield United are anywhere the standard of say Leicester or Leeds, or even Bournemouth.

the standard of football leeds and nf were playing last night was atrotious - did you see it?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 02/04/2023 at 08:34, Gerrumonside ref said:

Will they be dancing on the streets of total network solutions tonight?

Total Network Solutions disappeared from the Welsh football pyramid many years ago.

Just saying ....

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

5 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

the standard of football leeds and nf were playing last night was atrotious - did you see it?

Yes of course,  and Liverpool vs Chelsea was atrocious too, but I'm not judging on one game. There's a real good overall standard, lot of good international players right down the league.  Certainly higher than the Championship,  which was your contention,  I'm enjoying the Championship,  but Luton, Middlesbrough,  Blackburn et al would need major signings if they came up.

• Like 1