Football

On 08/05/2023 at 23:10, Gerrumonside ref said:

Not each other’s arch-enemies in terms of clubs, but there’s always always some spice between Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire isn’t there.

Can see a healthy attendance.

Potential for a big crowd too in the League One playoff final.

Hello G Ref how did you get on with your bets. I haven’t a clue where i have put mine but i am very confident that they came nowhere. 

5 hours ago, Josef K said:

Hello G Ref how did you get on with your bets. I haven’t a clue where i have put mine but i am very confident that they came nowhere. 

Hi Josef,

I had a Yankee (11 bet accumulator):

-Middlesbrough to win the Championship 

-Bolton Wanderers to win League One

-Stockport County to win League Two

-Wrexham to win the National League 

Would have paid a few thousand had it come in - close but no cigar!

• Like 1

On 10/05/2023 at 19:52, Gerrumonside ref said:

Hi Josef,

I had a Yankee (11 bet accumulator):

-Middlesbrough to win the Championship 

-Bolton Wanderers to win League One

-Stockport County to win League Two

-Wrexham to win the National League 

Would have paid a few thousand had it come in - close but no cigar!

You was unlucky though G Ref as they have all had good seasons. Hopefully next season you’ll be even closer. I have found one of my bets Wigan Athletic to win the league 40/1….ouch 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wilsontown said:

I'm a Sheffield Wednesday fan. Hold me.

All to play for!

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A Leeds Utd fan confronted the Newcastle manager yesterday. The idiot has been banned for life, if you was a so called fan would you really do that and risk not seeing your club again.

That is why i don’t think anyone should be allowed to go on the pitch. The stands are for fans, the pitch is for players & coaches. 

2 hours ago, Josef K said:

A Leeds Utd fan confronted the Newcastle manager yesterday. The idiot has been banned for life, if you was a so called fan would you really do that and risk not seeing your club again.

That is why i don’t think anyone should be allowed to go on the pitch. The stands are for fans, the pitch is for players & coaches. 

He's been punished already. The police are making him watch every Leeds match next season.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Doesn't matter either way when your stands are just piles of rubble!

Perhaps the Premier League should call in IMG and declare Luton a category B club and deny them entry, I mean Everton or Leeds must be more valuable to the brand.

Well done Luton,  I wonder what @Bedfordshire Bronco thinks of it.

Funny ha ha aside, Luton will have to do 10m of urgent work over the summer if they make it into the Premier League.  It's not up to the standard and they still don't have a firm date for when they start work on the new stadium.

Also, watching this game with this massive atmosphere, I remembered just how annoying Luton are.  They're basically Millwall but in Bedfordshire.  In a way, seeing Sunderland, Coventry and Luton all in the playoffs was somewhat romantic.  The romance has worn off already.

6 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Perhaps the Premier League should call in IMG and declare Luton a category B club and deny them entry, I mean Everton or Leeds must be more valuable to the brand.

In footballing standards they'd be lucky to be a category C. 

In all seriousness though, should Luton get up, the Premier League will give them a dispensation because they have plans for a new stadium as they did with Bournemouth though there doesn't seem to have been massive advancements made by that club on a new ground either. 

I remember when Blackpool went up and they had to stick up that temporary stand which they still have up now. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

6 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Perhaps you should pay attention and realise that Luton will already have met the required Premier League standards having already met the required Football League standards.

The Football League standards are here: https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/efl-regulations/appendix-1-membership-criteria-regulation-8/

It ain't just about what happens on the field in football.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Kenilworth Road is hilariously bad as a ground....not been for years but it was dangerously dilapidated then so goodness knows what it's like now!

7 hours ago, bbfaz said:

Funny ha ha aside, Luton will have to do 10m of urgent work over the summer if they make it into the Premier League.  It's not up to the standard and they still don't have a firm date for when they start work on the new stadium.

Also, watching this game with this massive atmosphere, I remembered just how annoying Luton are.  They're basically Millwall but in Bedfordshire.  In a way, seeing Sunderland, Coventry and Luton all in the playoffs was somewhat romantic.  The romance has worn off already.

Middlesbrough is also sort of romantic too, remember Ravenelli, Jorginho , oh and Bernie Slaven.

If Boro win tonight can't see them failing to go up. If it's Coventry, then Luton have a chance.

If it's Luton , then they'll have probably the worst stadium in the five big European leagues.

As for relegation into the championship,  I have a sneaky suspicion that Everton and Leeds might both survive, Leicester and Forest  could go. Forest have a couple of nasty games and Leicester look shot, while Everton play Bournemouth at home, and Leeds have hapless Tottenham.

Edited by HawkMan

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Perhaps you should pay attention and realise that Luton will already have met the required Premier League standards having already met the required Football League standards.

The Football League standards are here: https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/efl-regulations/appendix-1-membership-criteria-regulation-8/

It ain't just about what happens on the field in football.

Well aware of all that, I've had involvement in Community football,  Jewish leagues actually. My unease with IMG is more about immunity to relegation for A clubs , I'm okay with standards being obligatory as you progress upwards. 

The only thing good about Luton Town for me was that all white kit with the orange sleeves that was an 1980’s football classic.

I have bad memories of them and that ID scheme which brought a lot of angst their way from the supporters of other clubs at the time (sidestepping the politics if we can).

They did have a good team though with Brian Stein, Ricky Hill and Steve Foster in that headband all instantly recognisable plus others like Paul Walsh and Les Sealey.

Brings back good memories of Panini football sticker album trade deals on the playground!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Kenilworth Road is hilariously bad as a ground....not been for years but it was dangerously dilapidated then so goodness knows what it's like now!

@Bedfordshire BroncoI was wondering what being in the Premier League would do for Luton, the town. Economically,  business,  visitors etc.

Edited by HawkMan

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

I was wondering what being in the Premier League would do for Luton, the town. Economically,  business,  visitors etc.

Deleted. Apologies, did some research after posting my reply and turns out a lot of what I said was rubbish!

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

9 hours ago, HawkMan said:

@Bedfordshire BroncoI was wondering what being in the Premier League would do for Luton, the town. Economically,  business,  visitors etc.

Can't do it any harm mate....economically it's always been well off to an extent (with pockets of poverty like Bury Park - where the ground is) 

Not sure anyone has ever gone to Luton to just visit Luton ...or ever will 😂....it's called the blot on the home counties for a reason 

• Haha 1