Jump to content

Football


Recommended Posts

On 11/06/2019 at 19:59, graveyard johnny said:

the guardian has the least number of sales daily/weekly and monthly compared to all the rest, its left wing bog roll with agendas that are as see through as a window with no glass, I wouldn't worry too much.

“As see through as a window with no glass”

That seems a very odd comment.

I don’t think the Guardian makes any attempt whatsoever to hide its agenda and never has.

You’ll no doubt be shocked to discover the Telegraph supports the Tories...

Anyway, David Squires’ football cartoons are quite brilliant and if you don’t read them on account of the Graun’s editorial line the loss is entirely yours.

 

 

  • Like 1

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, Steve May said:

“As see through as a window with no glass”

That seems a very odd comment.

I don’t think the Guardian makes any attempt whatsoever to hide its agenda and never has.

You’ll no doubt be shocked to discover the Telegraph supports the Tories...

Anyway, David Squires’ football cartoons are quite brilliant and if you don’t read them on account of the Graun’s editorial line the loss is entirely yours.

 

 

I do like the sports section in the Guardian and also the crime book reviews.

I used to read a columnist called Nick Cohen. In hindsight he seemd to predict the Labour antisemitism issue years before it was raised by others. 

I like the I newspaper because they have small comments from each football team's fanzone columnist.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don`t you just love the close season. Hazard saying it was a wrench to leave Chelsea and having loved every minute of his time there , despite him and his agent twining for the last 2 years to get away , and him downing tools and getting Mouriniho the sack .And Pogba saying maybe a change would do him good , despite saying Solksjaer was a breath of fresh air when Utd were on their run of wins .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Don`t you just love the close season. Hazard saying it was a wrench to leave Chelsea and having loved every minute of his time there , despite him and his agent twining for the last 2 years to get away , and him downing tools and getting Mouriniho the sack .And Pogba saying maybe a change would do him good , despite saying Solksjaer was a breath of fresh air when Utd were on their run of wins .

I cant keep track of who plays for who one week to the next , loads of foreign names I never heard of , shipped in shipped out, bought sold, like the latest fone, not interested one bit, as for the womens wc I have yet to meet one single person whos bothered about it in the slightest.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

VAR's going well then.

Can of worms . Was always going to be . RL could have told them that . Once it’s there it just becomes a different game and infiltrates further . I’m not a fan beyond basic things like goalline / in goal definitive stuff . Not second guessing or interpretation 

Edited by DavidM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Can of worms . Was always going to be . RL could have told them that . Once it’s there it just becomes a different game and infiltrates further . I’m not a fan beyond basic things like goalline / in goal definitive stuff . Not second guessing or interpretation 

Premier League have (rightly) said they will not be using VAR on goalkeeper infringements in penalty kicks.

I am so looking forward to a match in this World Cup going to a shoot-out. It will take all night and every penalty will go in on a retake.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Premier League have (rightly) said they will not be using VAR on goalkeeper infringements in penalty kicks.

I am so looking forward to a match in this World Cup going to a shoot-out. It will take all night and every penalty will go in on a retake.

Yep you just never see a goalie take a step of their line ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Yep you just never see a goalie take a step of their line ...

I hate to sound like a dull middle aged man but I am. I went to my first soccer game a whopping 37 years ago. I don't know how many matches I've physically been to since but a very conservative guess would say 600. In that time I think I've seen a penalty retaken ... maybe once. It's just not something that needs to happen. As long as the keeper isn't yards forward it is simply not an issue and it boggles my mind that FIFA have decided to use a World Cup to bring in this interpretation and rigidly enforce it via VAR.

  • Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My first match was Man U v Blackpool in 1970, since then I have been to less than a dozen matches.

Just so the men's teams don't feel left out, as well a the Copa America, and The African Cup of Nations, we start the European season next Tuesday with 2 games in the Champions League qualification first round with Tre Penne (San Marino) v Santa Coloma (Andorra) & Feronikeli (Kosovo) v Lincoln Red Imps (Gibraltar)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just back from France where we had one hell of a time, experienced the whole range of emotions associated with being a football supporter, before, perhaps predictably, being sent home "Tae think again".

And it was all going reasonably well until the last 16 minutes of the group stages...

Highlights:-

Being at a festival of sport that highlighted and celebrated female excellence.

Quirky accommodation in Nice, Rennes and Paris/Parc de St Cloud.

The banter and the friendly rivalry and camaraderie between the Scotland and England supporters at the match and on the transit buses.

Five Scotland goals, especially that goal by Methven's finest in the Japan game.

Being photographed and used in SFA marketing/propaganda.

Being mentioned in a BBC interview ?

Lowlights/incidents/other:-

Being bit by aggressive mozzies in Nice and Paris.

VAR

Paris public transport officials.

A near six hour delay of the outbound flight (positive: €500 in compensation).

Best bits:-

That goal.

The honour of supporting such an incredible group of women.

The absolute best: being presented with the match shirt from the England game by a world cup footballer.

 

 

IMG_20190622_161810.jpg

FB_IMG_1560161029797.jpg

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/06/2019 at 15:50, gingerjon said:

I hate to sound like a dull middle aged man but I am. I went to my first soccer game a whopping 37 years ago. I don't know how many matches I've physically been to since but a very conservative guess would say 600. In that time I think I've seen a penalty retaken ... maybe once. It's just not something that needs to happen. As long as the keeper isn't yards forward it is simply not an issue and it boggles my mind that FIFA have decided to use a World Cup to bring in this interpretation and rigidly enforce it via VAR.

It does seem like they are using the Women's World Cup to test out a few rule changes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/06/2019 at 15:50, gingerjon said:

I hate to sound like a dull middle aged man but I am. I went to my first soccer game a whopping 37 years ago. I don't know how many matches I've physically been to since but a very conservative guess would say 600. In that time I think I've seen a penalty retaken ... maybe once. It's just not something that needs to happen. As long as the keeper isn't yards forward it is simply not an issue and it boggles my mind that FIFA have decided to use a World Cup to bring in this interpretation and rigidly enforce it via VAR.

It's like the RFL deciding that they were going to strictly enforce the playing of the ball with the foot and sending every try up to the big screen.

That'd end equally well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Rugby League could've told them that it'd all end in tears. Well maybe not tears but certainly frustrated overuse.

 

I haven't seen any of today's game because I was driving so I had the radio coverage. Obviously, they were a bit 'favouring England' with their interpretation of VAR so I'll not make any comment about the decisions until I've seen them.

But it was interesting that they were all already moaning that a 90 minute game took over two hours to complete. Should tell them to wait until they get a really contentious game.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Well that wasn't pretty. The Cameroonians were a disgrace. 

Pretty standard, in my experience of watching them. They seem to have been the thugs of African Football (men and women) since the 1990 WC.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I haven't seen any of today's game because I was driving so I had the radio coverage. Obviously, they were a bit 'favouring England' with their interpretation of VAR so I'll not make any comment about the decisions until I've seen them.

But it was interesting that they were all already moaning that a 90 minute game took over two hours to complete. Should tell them to wait until they get a really contentious game.

The decisions were technically correct but the Cameroon "goal" was 4 inches offside. It all took way too long. The ref lost control of the game and ended up disallowing a VAR penalty call for England presumably to keep the peace as it was a clear pen. At least 2 Cameroon players should have been sent off. VAR in its current implementation spoils the game IMO.

Never let it be said that women's football is boring!

  • Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • ckn locked this topic
  • ckn unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...