Football

24 minutes ago, Jeff Stein said:

Interesting to see whether a human rights abusing murderer will pass the Premier League's fit and proper person test 

Course they will!

On 15/04/2020 at 00:04, Jeff Stein said:

Interesting to see whether a human rights abusing murderer will pass the Premier League's fit and proper person test 

It will depend on who are the owners and directors surely? ?  Rule F. 1.6 of the Premier League Rules would seem to exclude people who are bad hats, regardless of the absence of criminal convictions, here or abroad.

On 12/04/2020 at 23:26, Bleep1673 said:

Tottenham Hotspurs South Korean Son Hueng-min has been voted player of the year, but cant collect his trophy, because he's in S Korea doing some Natonal Service.

Source: Arirang TV 

Only this morning was this reported on BBC.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Ah, the day we turned a Man United fan into a Town fan. ?

In September '92 a Salfordian lad arrived in our office. As he knew no one in Swindon I invited him to the pub at the weekend and he quickly became part of our group of mates. Around February he started coming to some Town games, including some away. He also came to all 3 playoff games and was definitely celebrating like a Town fan when we won promotion.

We all crashed at his parents house in Salford (Joseph Holt was a nice beer) when we played at Old Trafford. He was happy United won (4-2) and also that Town actually played well.

However after the draw at the County Ground, we were celebrating in the pub after when this proud Salfordian said "I can't believe we just drew with United!" 

We! He said We!

Even today, while he is still a United fan, he is, first and foremost, a Swindon Town fan ?

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Found my ticket (Lockdown Sort-Out) from the first ever playoffs. Had to be completed at a neutral venue as the two-legged final had finished a draw. Despite the fact that Selhurst Park is about 60 miles closer to Gillingham, Town took nearly twice as many fans. WHAT A NIGHT! ? 

_20200429_055339.JPG

• Like 1

Interesting to see that Crystal Palace included Athletic Club on the ticket.

May 29th 1987, I had just left home to begin a career on NHS agency, I was working at the Lister Hospital, Stevenage.

£4 wouldn't even buy you a programme these days

17.05.87 was when Swinton beat New Hunslet in the first ever 2nd division Premiership final, after that I left Old Trafford and drove to Stevenage, and never looked back.

Edited by Bleep1673

• 2 weeks later...

The 1979 FA Cup Final was on ITV yesterday and probably on catch up too. 
I remember watching that and it was an incredible game with an unbelievable ending. I supported Man U in those days and was gutted to say the least. 

A great reminder of how football was.

36 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I've had plenty of banter with Bradford City fans this season but today I stand with them to remember ?

I, as I suspect many others do, can vividly remember that day. I was over in Bingley at my then girlfriends and set off home when Des Lynam said on grandstand ‘and we’re getting reports of a fire at Bradford City’.....it didn’t seem *that* serious at first. By the time I got nearer home I could see the huge clouds of smoke from it and it was obviously very serious. But I didn’t find out quite how serious until later that evening.

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I, as I suspect many others do, can vividly remember that day. I was over in Bingley at my then girlfriends and set off home when Des Lynam said on grandstand ‘and we’re getting reports of a fire at Bradford City’.....it didn’t seem *that* serious at first. By the time I got nearer home I could see the huge clouds of smoke from it and it was obviously very serious. But I didn’t find out quite how serious until later that evening.

I remember it happening at the time but I was a bit too young to realise how bad it was. I watched  the one day in May (BT) documentary on it last year and was amazed at the speed the fire spread at. Basically if you were in the wrong place or made a wrong decision you didn’t stand a chance. I imagine it will be on BT again at this time. 

Edited by bobbruce
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I remember it happening at the time but I was a bit too young to realise how bad it was. I watch the one day in May (BT) documentary on it last year and was amazed at the speed the fire spread at. Basically if you were in the wrong place or made a wrong decision you didn’t stand a chance. I imagine it will be on BT again at this time. 

The old Valley Parade stand where the fire started, really was a tinderbox. It was all wooden and I think the roof was covered with a sort of tar covered sheeting. 
As I remember it, it was pretty easy to get on the pitch from that stand (we used to run on after the game) ....I dread to think what the death toll could have been with more fencing or restrictions. 

The training company I used to work for used to use part of the film to highlight how fast fire travels in the "Fire Safety" section. I put in a complaint regarding victims remembrance, and it was removed, and I got an email in apology.

3 hours ago, bobbruce said:

I remember it happening at the time but I was a bit too young to realise how bad it was. I watched  the one day in May (BT) documentary on it last year and was amazed at the speed the fire spread at. Basically if you were in the wrong place or made a wrong decision you didn’t stand a chance. I imagine it will be on BT again at this time. 

I saw that too. Gabby Logan did a great job, especially as it's also part of her history. 

As a fan of a lower league team, Hillsborough (terrible as it was) was something that could only really happen to big clubs with lots of fans. Bradford were in the 4th Division. It could have happened at my club or anywhere. ?

20 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I saw that too. Gabby Logan did a great job, especially as it's also part of her history. 

As a fan of a lower league team, Hillsborough (terrible as it was) was something that could only really happen to big clubs with lots of fans. Bradford were in the 4th Division. It could have happened at my club or anywhere. ?

In one way it was a relief Hillsborough had happened, just imagine how many more would've died with fencing up?

• Confused 3