Football

6 hours ago, HawkMan said:

What you are missing is that goal difference doesn't count. In the CL.it is head to head to decide between teams tied on points. United won 2-1 in Paris,  PSG won 3-1 at O.T. If PSG had won 2-1 at OT then aggregate and away goals would be identical,  then goal difference would count. The principle behind this is a very good one, if two teams tie on points it should be decided by who did better between the two teams when they met rather than who scored more against the group's no hopers for instance. 

This is my understanding that Man Utd were eliminated last night regardless of goal difference tonight which is not the first tie breaker. 

2 hours ago, Niels said:

Yes they got what they needed. They were 2 goals behind utd as you said, +3 to +5. They ended up +7 and topped the group! 

PSG needed nothing tonight to top the group other than a win.  Goal difference is irrelevant in United's exit or PSG topping the group.  PSG beat Leipzig 1-0 at home and lost 2-1 away, therefore winning head to head on away goals.  If PSG lost tonight 25-0 United would still be out, and a narrow 1-0 win and they'd still top the group.

Edited by HawkMan
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HawkMan said:

PSG needed nothing tonight to top the group other than a win.  Goal difference is irrelevant in United's exit or PSG topping the group.  PSG beat Leipzig 1-0 at home and lost 2-1 away, therefore winning head to head on away goals.  If PSG lost tonight 25-0 United would still be out, and a narrow 1-0 win and they'd still top the group.

Thanks, I understand. 

United's defeat in Turkey was their downfall really, the Demba Ba goal. He was famous for scoring after the Gerrard slip of course. 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

the sheff utd manager must surely be looking at an early xmas holiday now

No disrespect to the Sheffield United players,  but they can really only play the Chris Wilder way. They're simply not good enough to play expansive football,  so a new manager would have to be given funds for new players in January, if not they may as well stick with Wilder.

5 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

No disrespect to the Sheffield United players,  but they can really only play the Chris Wilder way. They're simply not good enough to play expansive football,  so a new manager would have to be given funds for new players in January, if not they may as well stick with Wilder.

is there a pattern emerging here? hudds town did ok and held their own for a season in the prem then capitulation - now sheff utd 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

Although poor today, they did well last year playing an interesting tactical system under Wilder and most of the squad is the same.

Crucially though they been missing Jack O’Connell who was important in the way they want to play.  They’re also missing Henderson who was on loan of course from Man Utd.

If there’s one area where they’ve struggled the whole time in the Premier League it is up front where nobody has been able to nail a regular place with consistent goal scoring.  Last year they had midfielders chipping in with goals and a fairly stingy defence, but that won’t hold up forever.

It’s fairly well understood that Sheffield United went up the pyramid pretty quickly under Wilder and have thrived through good tactics and team spirit.  I agree with you that if they’re not going to spend in January then Wilder is probably the most likely to get a tune out of this squad and is SUFC through and through.

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

is there a pattern emerging here? hudds town did ok and held their own for a season in the prem then capitulation - now sheff utd 

It is harder for promoted teams the second time around if they don’t evolve their squad in the transfer window when they survive.

First season in you can be a surprise package, Sheffield United for example used their centre halves like attacking fullbacks at times enabling them to create two on one situations in different parts of the pitch.

I think though there was some evidence at the end of last year that their inability to take chances in front of goal was catching up with them especially the bad defeat at Newcastle after the Covid restart.

Throw in a couple of injuries, your star goalkeeper moving on and your newly transferred striker struggling to hit the ground running and you’ve got the perfect storm.

3 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I watched the Champions & Europa League draws via the UEFA website today. Was it my imagination that the weak wristed ex footballers were having problems with their balls?

They struggle with it every year and I remember one Champions League draw where legends from yesteryear really struggled with it.

In the end they had to get somebody else at UEFA to open it for a former Celtic Lisbon Lion.

Definitely not a new problem.

BBC to show 7 live games from the Copa Libertadores including both semi finals and the final from the legendary Maracana stadium in Brazil.

It’s reached the quarter final stage after a Champions League style group section.

Main story is around whether Carlos Tevez and Boca Juniors can do it for Diego!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55266129

Left in the competition this year are:

Boca Juniors (Argentina)

River Plate (Argentina)

Racing Club (Argentina)

Santos (Brazil)

Gremio (Brazil)

Palmeiras (Brazil)

Nacional (Uruguay)

Libertad (Paraguay)

It’s probably between the Brazilian and Argentine clubs on paper and with the bookies, Nacional and Libertad have nothing like the resources and are large underdogs.

If anyone is interested then the LiveScore App has the rest of the action live and free (they also have Serie A games live on there).

I noticed on Sunday night that Freesports showed a couple of live Brazilian top flight matches between Flamengo-Santos and Corinthians-Sao Paolo.  I saw all of Flamengo-Santos which finished 4-1 and some of the second game which finished in a surprise 1-0 defeat for top of the table Sao Paolo.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

If anyone is interested then the LiveScore App has the rest of the action live and free (they also have Serie A games live on there) 

Great app. I watch most of Sporting CP's games on there. 

Hoping for another Boca/River final. 😜

• Like 1
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

11 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Great app. I watch most of Sporting CP's games on there. 

Hoping for another Boca/River final. 😜

When I was a younger man it was always my dream to take in that game and the other big derby matches across the football world.

I planned to write a book about my adventures and to give an account of the atmosphere.

Unfortunately it’s already been done by others and I’m no longer a young man! 🙂 

Is French Football about to be removed?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/15/ligue-1-clubs-stare-financial-abyss-tv-deal-collapses-mediapro

Is this the future for sport in the UK? 2 million people unemployed would rather spend Universal Credit on food and rent, rather than Sky TV & Sports. and movies.

Edited by Bleep1673

7 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/15/ligue-1-clubs-stare-financial-abyss-tv-deal-collapses-mediapro

Is this the future for sport in the UK? 2 million people unemployed would rather spend Universal Credit on food and rent, rather than Sky TV & Sports. and movies.

On a smaller scale, but just as devastating, similar happened to Scottish football when ITV Digital collapsed. I'm not sure it's ever really recovered. PSG will almost certainly be fine, but the rest of French top level football is probably going to be in the merde.

Not sure about over here. Those deals are in place and seem to be being honoured as far as I can tell. If Sky Sports subs suffer then you may see people putting money in via Now TV passes for the games they want to see.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

That French TV deal was always ridiculous  given the standard of football and relative size of the clubs.

It could accelerate plans for a European Super League though especially from PSG’s perspective.

Expect an influx of talent from Ligue 1. 

After last night’s Premier League, I watched the all Brazilian Copa Libertadores quarter Final 2nd leg between Pele’s old team, Santos, and Gremio on LiveScoreApp.

The first leg finished 1-1 at Gremio.

Santos raced into a two nil lead in the first 15 minutes before grabbing a third early in the second half to essentially kill the game off which finished 4-1.

Sadly no rapturous atmosphere in the stands although large fan made flags were present including one of Pele.  There was a huge fireworks display by the Santos fans outside the ground when they took the lead in the first minute.

Elsewhere in the all Argentinian Copa Libertadores quarter final, two of that country’s ‘famous five’ met in the delayed first leg as Racing Club hosted Boca Juniors.

Seems like although Boca had the better chances, but Racing took their opportunity when it came, to take a narrow 1-0 lead to the legendary la Bombonera on BBC iPlayer at 00.30 Christmas Eve.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

2 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Mourinho... the ego on the man is unbelievable!! 

I think the interview he gave was for the consumption of his players tbf to keep the narrative of ‘superiority’ going.

I thought Spurs played well, but Liverpool did too and deserved to win.

I can understand the psychology by Mourinho though.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref