Jump to content

Football


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Getting worse for Chelsea now, credit cards and bank accounts suspended.

Also a key point that Abramovich can't write off his £1.5 billion loan to Chelsea to make them an easier purchase, as that would make it a gift and break every financial fair play/profit and sustainability rule going.

Basically, unless something major changes, looks like Chelsea are doomed. 

And its not even Christmas!

Can hot NSFW posts be marked as such?

  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Keep this thread to discussion of on field football stuff please.

If you want to discuss the Chelsea/Abramovich situation or matters related to that, do it in the politics sub forum, not in here.

Thanks.

  • Like 1

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

Keep this thread to discussion of on field football stuff please.

If you want to discuss the Chelsea/Abramovich situation or matters related to that, do it in the politics sub forum, not in here.

Thanks.

What if we want to just laugh about it amongst friends because, politics aside, it is very funny seeing Chelsea - CHELSEA! - in the mire?

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Can they get relegated ? Just asking with no vested interest at all 

If they enter administration before the end of the season then potentially.

Otherwise - no.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Cw25 said:

The Reds are staying up. Massive match at Sheffield United on Saturday. Poya is brilliant.

A fantastic win for you last night CW, it’s a battle between yourselves & Reading now. In Lge1 the battle to avoid the drop looks like it’s between five clubs, Doncaster, Morecambe, Gillingham, Wimbledon, Fleetwood. Crewe are gone now. In Lge2, it looks as if Stevenage will be the other side that will follow Scunthorpe into the abyss.  In the National League, Dover (who are still on -4pts) King’s Lynn & Weymouth are on their way out. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/03/2022 at 08:12, HawkMan said:

Unbelievable! PSG have blown it again,  they just can't crack the Champions League. Pochettino devalues himself in the race for Man Utd job, the guy is just not a winner. Looks like Erik Ten Haag for O.T.

And now Ten Haag has blown it too.

To be fair to Pochettino, it's hard to put the blame on him for PSG's failure. They've been doing it since before he arrived. He essentially just hasn't been able to stop PSG doing a PSG, but there's a long list of managers who failed to stop PSG doing a PSG. Just look at Ancelotti and Tuchel as examples of coaches going on to have success almost immediately after they left Paris.

Pochettino might end up being a good fit at Utd. Picking managers is a bit of a lottery. Klopp has been successful but he was a slow starter at Dortmund and Liverpool in terms of getting teams up the league. By the end of his time at Dortmund they were going downhill but he's been great for Liverpool. There are probably a few decent candidates for the Utd job but the board will still play a huge part in whether any manager can be successful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Champions League quarter-final draw

Chelsea v Real Madrid

Manchester City v Atletico Madrid

Villarreal v Bayern Munich

Benfica v Liverpool

 

Champions League semi-final draw

Manchester City or Atletico Madrid v Chelsea or Real Madrid

Benfica or Liverpool v Villarreal or Bayern Munich

 

Europa League quarter-final draw

RB Leipzig v Atalanta

Eintracht Frankfurt v Barcelona

West Ham v Lyon

Braga v Rangers

 

Europa League semi-final draw

RB Leipzig or Atalanta v Braga or Rangers

West Ham or Lyon v Eintracht Frankfurt or Barcelona

Europa Conference League quarter-final draw

Bodo Glimt v Roma

Feyenoord v Slavia Prague

Marseille v PAOK Salonika

Leicester v PSV Eindhoven

Europa Conference League semi-final draw

Leicester or PSV Eindhoven v Bodo Glimt or Roma

Feyenoord or Slavia Prague v Marseille or PAOK Salonika

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Apologies for not being up on this but what is the europa conference league , and why ?

It's the third tier tournament.

So, if you remember far enough back that there was the European Cup, the UEFA Cup *and* the Cup Winners Cup then it's *sort of* like that.

 It looks like some teams are taking it seriously and others are not.

  • Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Apologies for not being up on this but what is the europa conference league , and why ?

I was going to say the same, i know RL have come up with some crazy ideas in the past but what are all these different comps. A large percentage of fans from English clubs would rather not qualify for what i call the UEFA cup. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Apologies for not being up on this but what is the europa conference league , and why ?

Up to this season the Europa League group stage has been a massive 12 groups with the top two of each group going into the last 32 along  with the 8 third place teams from the Champions League groups.

UEFA felt this was too much and decided to basically split the Europa League in two at the qualifying stages.  The idea also is to give teams who finish further down their domestic leagues a place in Europe to widen the size of clubs who can enter, not just the big teams. This is to be applauded. So teams failing to qualify for the slimmed down  Europa League were given another bite of the cherry as it were , and went into this new competition. And it's worked,  teams left behind by the big bucks teams like Feyenoord for example have managed to get a bit of glory again. watching the Leicester/Rennes match yesterday,  the stadium was full,  not a seat anywhere,  so it's all good, actually watching the highlights show on BT I saw packed stadiums at all Conference League games. Maybe important as well it is UEFA's intention to have possibly unfashionable venues for the final. Tirana will host the first one in their new National Stadium. 

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's the third tier tournament.

So, if you remember far enough back that there was the European Cup, the UEFA Cup *and* the Cup Winners Cup then it's *sort of* like that.

 It looks like some teams are taking it seriously and others are not.

I was talking to some United fans after their European Cup loss and they said they’re not interested in all that finishing 5th palaver. If Arsenal qualify for the European Cup this season then them not qualifying for any European competition in 20/21 has worked out well for them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I was talking to some United fans after their European Cup loss and they said they’re not interested in all that finishing 5th palaver. If Arsenal qualify for the European Cup this season then them not qualifying for any European competition in 20/21 has worked out well for them. 

Aye, some teams will not give a wotnot and others will really go for it.

It's not a tournament that specifically interests me but it's clear for a lot of supporters and clubs in Europe, it's an enjoyable tournament to be part of.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

Champions League quarter-final draw

Chelsea v Real Madrid

Manchester City v Atletico Madrid

Villarreal v Bayern Munich

Benfica v Liverpool

 

Champions League semi-final draw

Manchester City or Atletico Madrid v Chelsea or Real Madrid

Benfica or Liverpool v Villarreal or Bayern Munich

 

Europa League quarter-final draw

RB Leipzig v Atalanta

Eintracht Frankfurt v Barcelona

West Ham v Lyon

Braga v Rangers

 

Europa League semi-final draw

RB Leipzig or Atalanta v Braga or Rangers

West Ham or Lyon v Eintracht Frankfurt or Barcelona

Europa Conference League quarter-final draw

Bodo Glimt v Roma

Feyenoord v Slavia Prague

Marseille v PAOK Salonika

Leicester v PSV Eindhoven

Europa Conference League semi-final draw

Leicester or PSV Eindhoven v Bodo Glimt or Roma

Feyenoord or Slavia Prague v Marseille or PAOK Salonika

Liverpool and Man City will be happy enough with that draw.  

Some are saying Chelsea will feel confident after beating Real Madrid en route to the final last year, but it’s a difficult tie I feel and their circumstances seem insecure.

West Ham should have enough to get past a Lyon side who’ve had a shocking season in France.  Braga and Rangers is a coin toss for me.

Think PSV Eindhoven could prove a tough test for Leicester City.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Aye, some teams will not give a wotnot and others will really go for it.

It's not a tournament that specifically interests me but it's clear for a lot of supporters and clubs in Europe, it's an enjoyable tournament to be part of.

Let’s face it that it’s a chance to do European away trips for teams and fans that might miss out otherwise.

Also the Europa League was getting unwieldy.

My main complaint with the Europa Conference League is that it’s a pretty awful name.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Let’s face it that it’s a chance to do European away trips for teams and fans that might miss out otherwise.

Also the Europa League was getting unwieldy.

My main complaint with the Europa Conference League is that it’s a pretty awful name.

 

It is a terrible name.

But then in RL we have had the equally awful National Conference League for decades now.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

It's the third tier tournament.

So, if you remember far enough back that there was the European Cup, the UEFA Cup *and* the Cup Winners Cup then it's *sort of* like that.

 It looks like some teams are taking it seriously and others are not.

I thought at the time getting rid of the cup winners cup was a terrible idea. This new trophy makes it even worse. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

I thought at the time getting rid of the cup winners cup was a terrible idea. This new trophy makes it even worse. 

swerving the checkatrade

a closed door is no object to FLAT STANLEY 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

I thought at the time getting rid of the cup winners cup was a terrible idea. This new trophy makes it even worse. 

Gave me one of my best memories as a kid . 1985 Rapid Vienna 3-1 after dumping Bayern Munich

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The bids are in from potential new owners of Chelsea.

Mordor Holdings
The Latverian Public Investment Fund
Hank Scorpio
Omni Consumer Products
Weyland-Yutani
Alucard PLC

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...