Football

Really chuffed that UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin defended the PL today, saying it's a model that should be copied,  an egalitarian success,  him saying this was one in the eye for La Liga,Bundesliga Serie A who are a more than a teeny bit jealous.

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I'm enjoying the Championship,  but Luton, Middlesbrough,  Blackburn et al would need major signings if they came up.

to avoid been in the mix with the other championship standard clubs like Leeds and NF ?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

16 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

to avoid been in the mix with the other championship standard clubs like Leeds and NF ?

Have you looked at the table? There's no teams cut adrift,  there's a pretty uniform standard from Chelsea below,  and that is not Championship standard, but higher, not humongously super higher,  but higher. Are you saying that if Leicester West Ham ,Leeds etc were in the championship this season they'd  be muddling along, Championship also rans ?

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Have you looked at the table? There's no teams cut adrift,  there's a pretty uniform standard from Chelsea below,  and that is not Championship standard, but higher, not humongously super higher,  but higher. Are you saying that if Leicester West Ham ,Leeds etc were in the championship this season they'd  be muddling along, Championship also rans ?

they would be top 6 championship teams

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

they would be top 6 championship teams

You've inadvertently proved my point. I agree ,West Ham,  Wolves, Leeds, Forest,  Leicester and Bournemouth would be at the top, pushing Burnley Sheffield United, Middlesbrough down, because they're better than them.

Southampton though are very poor, except Ward-Prowse, they are a Championship team.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Really chuffed that UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin defended the PL today, saying it's a model that should be copied,  an egalitarian success,  him saying this was one in the eye for La Liga,Bundesliga Serie A who are a more than a teeny bit jealous.

Sportswashing works, I see.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Sportswashing works, I see.

You can say that if someone said, " Saudi Arabia,  Qatar UAE, what wonderful countries " yeah  then sportswashing works.

Ceferin was praising the egalitarian distribution of monies in the PL to create an relatively even competition as opposed to the rather predictable Bundesliga or La Liga, where Bayern and the classico giants win almost every season, that's why tv deals globally are good for the PL and diminishing for the other major leagues, viewers in Asia, South America....are watching more PL and less La Liga, Serie A.

Barcelona, Real and Juve, are desperate,  they see the PL riches, and they are just simply locked out of it,  obviously because of geography. 

Ceferin was implying they should have a more fair sharing of their tv monies,  and their league would improve, but as that would lead to them losing eternal dominance of their respective leagues it ain't going to happen.

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Really can’t stand Gab.

I used to not like him but I've seen him speak at the football writers events they do in Manchester, he has a demeanour that rubs people up the wrong way but he's generally thoughtful in what he's saying. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

On 06/04/2023 at 08:48, HawkMan said:

You can say that if someone said, " Saudi Arabia,  Qatar UAE, what wonderful countries " yeah  then sportswashing works.

Ceferin was praising the egalitarian distribution of monies in the PL to create an relatively even competition as opposed to the rather predictable Bundesliga or La Liga, where Bayern and the classico giants win almost every season, that's why tv deals globally are good for the PL and diminishing for the other major leagues, viewers in Asia, South America....are watching more PL and less La Liga, Serie A.

Barcelona, Real and Juve, are desperate,  they see the PL riches, and they are just simply locked out of it,  obviously because of geography. 

Ceferin was implying they should have a more fair sharing of their tv monies,  and their league would improve, but as that would lead to them losing eternal dominance of their respective leagues it ain't going to happen.

Its also because the frankly silly TV distribution and investment mechanisms in Italy, Germany and particularly Spain. These clubs have built up their financial dominance domestically to such an extent that they now cannot risk changing course.

48 minutes ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

7800 at Halifax , I wonder how many Wrexham took.

Fortunately I have BT sport, mainly for CL, but Monday it's Wrexham vs Notts County,  definitely watching that.

Both have reached 100 pts and one might not get promoted.

Edited by HawkMan

4 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Fortunately I have BT sport, mainly for CL, but Monday it's Wrexham vs Notts County,  definitely watching that.

Both have reached 100 pts and one might not get promoted.

Its going to be a real downer, going into the playoffs, for the team that misses out on automatic.

Tomorrow at 2pm, begins the end of an era.

The last senior first team game at Westfield FC's Parish Field.

The pitch is too small so they have to had to ask permission from the league every year since 1927. They couldn't put up floodlights so they had to be relegated to junior football. The clubhouse burnt down so they have had a bar in a cargo container for a decade.

And yet ... it's been a home and a great place to visit.

They normally get a fair few in relative to their level of football. I'm betting it will be packed tomorrow. And from next season they will be at a new ground built as part of the community aspect of a housing development.

It may even be a legal size.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 07/04/2023 at 20:22, gingerjon said:

The pitch is too small so they have to had to ask permission from the league every year since 1927. 

Bradford take note, you can seemingly get away with this sort of thing for near a century. 

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Some incredible managerial appointments lately Roy Hodgson back at Palace even though the fans weren`t impressed with his footballing style last time ,Frank Lampard back at Chelsea where he failed miserably not that long ago and now Leicester looking to Jesse Marsch to guide them to safety after making a mess at Leeds ........it`s the only job where failure is rewarded .

On 07/04/2023 at 18:48, DavidM said:

IMG_2729.jpeg.7e4a5c2da00c4c09322568cee3ec9847.jpeg

Great crowd aided by a £10 admission fee anywhere in the ground ,quite a few years since I've been to brunton park but would have been seriously tempted but was travelling back from the England lionesses game that day.

On 06/04/2023 at 08:48, HawkMan said:

And it's their fault they don't have them, not geography. Their own greed has caused the predicament they are now in. I remember the time when Italy had very much the dominant, glamour league with easily the most money. Spain too with Barcelona and Real Madrid always loaded but they were always more concerned with scooping up all the money rather than developing the league as a whole. Thankfully English football took a different path.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Damien said:

And it's their fault they don't have them, not geography. Their own greed has caused the predicament they are now in. I remember the time when Italy had very much the dominant, glamour league with easily the most money. Spain too with Barcelona and Real Madrid always loaded but they were always more concerned with scooping up all the money rather than developing the league as a whole. Thankfully English football took a different path.

Totally agree, that's what Ceferin was alluding to. I mention geography because that's why  Barcelona, Real etc can't get hold of PL riches. D' oh  obviously. 

The thinking behind the ESL failed project I'm guessing was, can't beat them join them. A new league with 6 EPL teams,  get rid of the Aston Villas, Brightons etc and replace them with big European teams and all that money will come their way. Thankfully it's not going to happen.

UEFA have responded with a new Champions League format starting season after next. One group of 36 teams,  8 matches each, fixtures decided by Co- efficient ranking,  then top 8 through to knockout round straight away,  positions 9 to 24 play off for other 8 places. It could just work, oh and the BBC showing highlights,  so interesting times ahead.

At present I'm enjoying Huddersfield vs Blackburn,  then watching Wrexham v Notts County, should be a five figure crowd for that, virtually a title decider.

Edited by HawkMan

3 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Totally agree, that's what Ceferin was alluding to. I mention geography because that's why  Barcelona, Real etc can't get hold of PL riches. D' oh  obviously. 

The thinking behind the ESL failed project I'm guessing was, can't beat them join them. A new league with 6 EPL teams,  get rid of the Aston Villas, Brightons etc and replace them with big European teams and all that money will come their way. Thankfully it's not going to happen.

UEFA have responded with a new Champions League format starting season after next. One group of 36 teams,  8 matches each, fixtures decided by Co- efficient ranking,  then top 8 through to knockout round straight away,  positions 9 to 24 play off for other 8 places. It could just work, oh and the BBC showing highlights,  so interesting times ahead.

At present I'm enjoying Huddersfield vs Blackburn,  then watching Wrexham v Notts County, should be a five figure crowd for that, virtually a title decider.

Wrexham v Notts County sounds exciting, particularly 2nd half.