Football

Posted (edited)

Superb FA Trophy final sees Solihull Moors lose a second Wembley shootout in a week and Gateshead take the title.

Romford beat Great Wakering in the Vase. I was half-wanting a Romford win since discovering that one of the Hastings United Women players is the daughter of a former Romford manager.

EDIT

Discovered here means "she told me".

Edited by gingerjon
  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Posted (edited)

Brave stab at staying up by Burnley and Luton, but the inevitable relegation has happened. Even if Luton beat Fulham by 5 they'll need Forest to lose by 7 at Burnley,  so it's over. Luton I think will be back , Burnley possibly as well,but Luton lacked that final bit of quality,  Burnley had the quality but no strength to tough out results. 

Championship play offs start tomorrow,  my tip is Southampton to get promoted. League 2 looks interesting,  Crewe and Crawley should be good final,  both have played impressive football in the semis. Last season I really enjoyed the Scottish Championship play offs, and so far the Partick /Airdrie matches have been good, Raith next for Partick. Very tough format, if Partick get promoted they'll have played 6 play off games.

Edited by HawkMan

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

Crewe and Crawley should be good final

I was delighted to see the franchise boys take one hell of a beating by Crawley. 8-1!

I was hoping Doncaster would have made the final, and I was surprised that they threw away a 2-0 1st leg advantage, given their excellent recent form. Credit to Crewe though.

10 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Oh no, my beloved Tottenham have lost to Manchester City, I am...er..heartbroken!🤧

Well that's just about the title to Man City yet again now. 

Tottenham losing does mean Villa have qualified for the Champions League for the first time though, so something new there at least. 

9 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Well that's just about the title to Man City yet again now. 

Tottenham losing does mean Villa have qualified for the Champions League for the first time though, so something new there at least. 

Maybe  I'm being disloyal to Spurs wanting them to lose, but we're not ready for Champions league,  I don't want Spurs to suffer in the league next year as Newcastle have done.  Europa League will do fine. 

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

20 years to the day since Arsenal became "The Invincibles". How time flies, eh?

They drew a lot of matches that season if memory serves and it had been done before by Preston North End.  A good achievement though.

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

They drew a lot of matches that season if memory serves and it had been done before by Preston North End.  A good achievement though.

26-12-0. But still won the league by 11 points and had a goal difference 10 ahead of the next best team's. That's quite efficient.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, not demeaning them - better squads before and since haven’t achieved it.

Not from you but I have seen a few people downplay it as if an unbeaten season is almost the norm and this is a poor example of one.

• Like 1

On 11/05/2024 at 19:24, gingerjon said:

Superb FA Trophy final sees Solihull Moors lose a second Wembley shootout in a week and Gateshead take the title.

Romford beat Great Wakering in the Vase. I was half-wanting a Romford win since discovering that one of the Hastings United Women players is the daughter of a former Romford manager.

EDIT

Discovered here means "she told me".

The Williamson legacy at Gateshead lives on.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

It has been announced that at the next Premier League General meeting, the 20 clubs will vote on whether to scrap VAR. It is a motion that has been tabled by Wolves. I hope to God they do get rid of it.

Once scrapped it will become just as big a nightmare as commentators and coaches constantly whinge about how if they had VAR that mistake wouldn’t have happened. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Once scrapped it will become just as big a nightmare as commentators and coaches constantly whinge about how if they had VAR that mistake wouldn’t have happened. 

It is very much the PGMOL delivery of VAR that is the issue. With very few exceptions - and, again, I think that leans into the humans involved - it does not seem to be so much of a problem elsewhere.

20 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Leeds imperious last night against Norwich, felt weird to be so in control.

Set up in the first leg where Norwich did nothing despite home advantage.

I turned on 20 minutes into the game thinking I'd have some drama to watch, realised what was going on, and switched over. Not that any Leeds fans should care.

On 15/05/2024 at 12:53, gingerjon said:

26-12-0. But still won the league by 11 points and had a goal difference 10 ahead of the next best team's. That's quite efficient.

And if City win today, they'll eclipse that point total. Crazy isn't it?

Just had a quick look up of Man City's seasons; just 25 years ago, the 1998-99 season, Man City were in the 3rd tier of English football. Since then they have won 8 PL titles and have been champions of Europe. In another 25 years we could be talking about Newcastle like this.