Football

33 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Heard the Chief scout for Aston Villa has quit. Rats & Sinking Ship springs to mind.

(as a Villa fan, I think we are deep in it next season).

Tough times for Villa. Hope they pull through and find some level of stability.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Tough times for Villa. Hope they pull through and find some level of stability.

Genuinely difficult to see how. They needed to come back up this season.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 6/10/2018 at 7:51 AM, gingerjon said:

Genuinely difficult to see how. They needed to come back up this season.

They needed to either go up this year or start the process of getting their house in order to be a championship club. As they did neither they are now in a lot of trouble. For me they need to forget about promotion this year and start getting their wage down to a manageable level. 

• 4 weeks later...

Sky release first batch of tv premier league games ... yes you guessed it Man U versus ... Liverpool versus , and Man City / Arsenal / Spurs in there so Chelsea must be on bt . It’s so tired and predictable how they follow a tiny few around every week even in totally uncompetitive boring  contests . 

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Sky release first batch of tv premier league games ... yes you guessed it Man U versus ... Liverpool versus , and Man City / Arsenal / Spurs in there so Chelsea must be on bt . It’s so tired and predictable how they follow a tiny few around every week even in totally uncompetitive boring  contests . 

So don't watch it then.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Isn’t this whole Antonio Conte thing completely bizarre . Usual form is manager gets sacked / resigns and new manager comes in . Chelsea have said zero , reports all summer about a new boss , he’s on the verge of coming , reports of Conte being gone nearly months later than most people thought , and still they say nothing . And Conte hasn’t been there for ages . Strange 

• 2 weeks later...

First game of the season yesterday. A friendly between Easington Sports and North Leigh (Oxford) that finished 3-0 to the visitors. A less than impassioned crowd of about 30 watched less than impassioned players do a cardio session.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 hours ago, gingerjon said:

First game of the season yesterday. A friendly between Easington Sports and North Leigh (Oxford) that finished 3-0 to the visitors. A less than impassioned crowd of about 30 watched less than impassioned players do a cardio session.

Slightly different experience to the 101,000 in the US to watch Liverpool thump Man Utd 4-1 then? Some goal by Shaqiri...

5 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Slightly different experience to the 101,000 in the US to watch Liverpool thump Man Utd 4-1 then? Some goal by Shaqiri...

I was quite happy where I was!

On 5/8/2018 at 2:51 PM, ivans82 said:

Now that Arsenal are at last seeing the back of Mr.Wenger , perhaps now they will sign a few hardmen at the back and a tackler in midfield and stop being such a soft touch .Shaqiri from Stoke would be worth a look as well . he`s got Arsenal player written all over him , and never gets injured .

I know it`s only one goal but don`t tell me you weren`t told !

You can tell the Football season's started - Blackpool part company with their manager after 1 match.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A recent family holiday to France and Belgium included (as well as more traditional family excursions!) a visit to some of the military cemeteries/museums in the region. We found the grave of former Bradford City Captain, and 1911 FA Cup Final winning goalscorer, Jimmy Speirs. (He was also a Scottish Imternational and Rangers players)

He volunteered to fight in 1915, just before compulsory conscription and by 1917 had been killed in action - gaining the Military Medal for bravery in the process. There are many, many examples of similar players laying down their lives in such brave and unconditional ways. In those days, they weren't just footballers...

Edited by Northern Eel
  • Like 1

Bluddy Targers 1 Aston Villa 3.

Great start to the football season.

• Haha 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Must say I find this trend of players under contract , getting paid , taking a sulk and staying away or downing tools to get a move once their head is turned very very unpalatable . They know and squeeze out every detail of their contract when it suits, but just strop until they get a move disregarding it when it doesn’t 

On 8/6/2018 at 9:53 PM, Old Frightful said:

Bluddy Targers 1 Aston Villa 3.

Great start to the football season.

I saw the game on Sky. I think Hull might struggle. They seemed to lack quality. 

I noticed there were plenty of empty seats too which doesn't look good first game of the season.

On 8/7/2018 at 1:19 PM, DavidM said:

Must say I find this trend of players under contract , getting paid , taking a sulk and staying away or downing tools to get a move once their head is turned very very unpalatable . They know and squeeze out every detail of their contract when it suits, but just strop until they get a move disregarding it when it doesn’t 

It is dispiriting when we read about Paul Pogba asking for an extra £200,000 a week to stay at Man Utd.

He plays well for France but hasnt transferred this over to club level here.