Football

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Well I can honestly say I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player punched by a ‘ fan ‘ on the pitch before . Cowards act as well from behind on Jack Grealish

Terrible cowardly act by that Birmingham supporter.

Grealish got some revenge though by scoring the winner for Villa. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Terrible cowardly act by that Birmingham supporter.

Grealish got some revenge though by scoring the winner for Villa. 

Crazy . The utter frenzy and behaviour you see at football games is unfathomable . Even going to take a throw in guys are running to the front to give a gobful . Passion and support and all that but really the lengths they go to ,It’s a game for crying out loud !

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:09 PM, Futtocks said:

They made some substitutions at half time, and it was a tougher test for England in the second half.

But it was nice to see an England Football team lift a trophy in colour. It doesn't happen very often, after all.

Didn't the England team win the U-20 World cup 2 years ago (1-0 v Venezuela), as well as the U-17's (5-2 v Spain)? Or do they not count?

Edited by Bleep1673
  • Like 2

After what happened yesterday at Birmingham, and other places too, something must be done to control supporters, banning them doesn't stop what happened happening again, Millwall Supporters were criticised for making anti-Pakistani chants, Brighton Fans get Homophobic chants aimed at them. What we don't need is a return to pre-Hillsborough fencing. I have watched Rugby League at a few football grounds with fencing (Old Trafford, Elland Rd., Boltons old Ground among others) , and it adds to the tension, a feeling of being penned in.

3 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Didn't the England team win the U-20 World cup 2 years ago (1-0 v Venezuela), as well as the U-17's (5-2 v Spain)? Or do they not count?

I didn't say it never happened, but that makes just three trophies in my lifetime.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

U20s was an outstanding win . Calvert - Lewin scored that goal . U19s won the Euros to and U20s Toulon tournament . Our age groups have done really well and hopefully that winning mentality filters through the top as it’s one thing we’ve lacked 

Edited by DavidM

It is pretty common for idiot fans to run on the pitch now and interact with players, often goading them. They have decided to be soft on it and haven't come down hard on them at all. Quietly banning fans does nowt. 

The stewarding is clearly not good enough. 

Today is the 50th Anniversary of my team's greatest moment! And on Saturday I'll be at the County Ground to celebrate Swindon's greatest ever team! ? 

Hopefully our current crop of donkeys can get the win. 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
  • Like 1
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

In the build up to the 1969 League Cup Final, both clubs were asked for team photo.

Arsenal, match day squad of 13 

Swindon Town, all 74 employees/volunteers 

Arsenal never stood a chance! ? 

_20190315_170945.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

2015 FA Trophy winners North Ferriby United are liquidated today over an 8k debt.

I remember them being in the conference, now the national league a couple of years ago. 

They played at Torquay last game of the season before they went down. I remember there was a big crowd as Torquay needed to win to stay up. 

It's sad to see them liquidated for such a comparatively small sum of money.

2 hours ago, Niels said:

I remember them being in the conference, now the national league a couple of years ago. 

They played at Torquay last game of the season before they went down. I remember there was a big crowd as Torquay needed to win to stay up. 

It's sad to see them liquidated for such a comparatively small sum of money.

There’s been “shenanigans” as well which I don’t pretend to have followed. I think this reasonably trivial debt is just the final straw but it could easily have been something else.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

In the build up to the 1969 League Cup Final, both clubs were asked for team photo.

Arsenal, match day squad of 13 

Swindon Town, all 74 employees/volunteers 

Arsenal never stood a chance! ? 

_20190315_170945.JPG

There was an article in the Independent or "i" today about this also.

An interesting fact i read was that Swindon played the most minutes of any League Cup winner. They had to negotiate 2 replays and a third semi final replay. Also of course extra time in the final.

17 minutes ago, Niels said:

There was an article in the Independent or "i" today about this also.

An interesting fact i read was that Swindon played the most minutes of any League Cup winner. They had to negotiate 2 replays and a third semi final replay. Also of course extra time in the final.

1140 minutes played to win the cup! 

Bob Monkhouse hosted the post Final celebrations. He suggested that several Arsenal players had to ask where Swindon was located geographically before the game.

"You can imagine what they are saying now. Swindon, Wilts? You must be joking. They were bloody stronger at the end than they were at the beginning!" ?

• Like 1

Hastings concede two goals in the first six minutes against the league leaders who have lost only once all season.

Then win 3-2.

This is the third goal celebration.

47350535852_af22fb7c06_z.jpgHastings United v Cray Wanderers by Jon Smalldon, on Flickr

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

52 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Promotion and relegation? It's so simple.

Here you go, then

Thanks. Its useful to know.

I've been following National League South as I have a soft spot for Torquay. 

I am hoping they will be promoted automatically. They have beaten most of their potential play off rivals comfortably but all it needs is an off day.

Genuinely nothing compared to the wackiness between Segunda B and Tercera in Spain where qualifiers from 18 groups play-off to get into four groups in Segunda B. Despite that, I think it's probably a better season.

What gets me is the Apertura and Clausura in Argentina. Plus, the last time I heard they had a bit of a convoluted P&R system that would have blown the minds of traditional football fans in this country.

• Like 1

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

8 hours ago, bbfaz said:

Genuinely nothing compared to the wackiness between Segunda B and Tercera in Spain where qualifiers from 18 groups play-off to get into four groups in Segunda B. Despite that, I think it's probably a better season.

Aye, fair enough. I assume something similar in France between third tier (one division) and fourth tier (four?).

The only reason I think it's particularly complicated for non league this year is because of the attempt at reorganisation last year which only went 3/4 of the way necessary. It means you will have sides winning the play-offs in their division who then don't get promoted, lower down you could win your division and not go up. At least it's understood at the start of the year though.