Salford City Reds docked two competition points

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to be clear, the appeals tribunal is made up from a panel of people independent of the RFL, and who reevaluate all evidence to come to its own decision including deciding the appropriate punishment if necessary. It is not an investigation into the original hearing but a do over.

Usually where the appeals panel agree with the verdict of the original tribunal they will also come to the same opinion on the appropriate punishment. Here they clearly did not. That is the risk you take by asking the original hearing to be disregarded and a chance to do it all again, and is quite clearly stated in the operational rules that the appeals tribunal may reach its own verdict regardless of the original tribunal.

The whole operations rules tribunal process is a quasi-legal one and nothing to do with spite or management of employees and other strange conspiracy theories It seems some people just want to use this as another excuse to attack the RFL.

Thanks for that, interesting reading!

I actually go do some work for a few hours and this happens. I thought this mishap was all dealt with and put to bed weeks ago. :rolleyes:

I think for Salford's sake I should stay here from now on, just to make sure this doesn't happen again.

maybe, but put yourself in their shoes

What I'd like to know is - did the sub run on of his own accord or was he sent on ? It's straightforward enough.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Just to be clear, the appeals tribunal is made up from a panel of people independent of the RFL, and who reevaluate all evidence to come to its own decision including deciding the appropriate punishment if necessary. It is not an investigation into the original hearing but a do over.

The Board is supposed to be independent also but it has two RFL members on it, yes?  Could you list the members of the appeals tribunal for us, just so that we can testify to its independence?  I'm rather skeptical when it comes to 'independence' in relation to the RFL.

But whether they are actually independent or not, why should they should increase the punishment just because an appeal has been received.  A player appeals against his ban and does his punishment increase?  No.  It is simply upheld.

Of course the advantage to this for Salford is that they pay only half the original fine so as others have pointed out, that could be deemed a result for them. The competition points are no loss to them given that they are going nowhere anyway. 

Actually, thats a good point, you could argue they've saved £5,000 and its made no real difference to their season!

Only if the appeal cost them no money!

Is there really no prize money based on position in SL?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

What I'd like to know is - did the sub run on of his own accord or was he sent on ? It's straightforward enough.

I don't know, I'm not privy to the explanation given - like everyone else, I am drawing my own conclusions from the published information I have read. If it is available it would be interesting to read. 

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Is there an explanation why Saints got a slap on the wrist whilst Salford got a 4 figure fine and a points deduction?

If I recall Cunningham was injured and was in the process of leaving the field when the replacement came on. Saints were fined for having 14 men on the field but no further punishment as neither Cunningham or the replacement took part in any play while there was 14 on the field.

Slightly different to Salford who's 14th man made several try saving tackles.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Slightly different to Salford who's 14th man made several try saving tackles.

I believe he also found a cure for cancer but the RFL have stopped him saying what it is.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Is there an explanation why Saints got a slap on the wrist whilst Salford got a 4 figure fine and a points deduction?

pretty much like luis suarez getting 10 games for biting and jermaine defoe nothing for the same offence.........the inequality of decisions has been a sore point for many years in every sport.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

The games is in danger of driving people look Koucash from the game and leaving is with dross like Hetherigton having too much control.

quite the contrary, people like koukash have to realise that every club chairman has a responsibility to uphold the laws of the game.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

What were Salford appealing anyway?

a) That they didn't field 14 players

or

B) The sanction imposed

If it was a, that was a bit daft as the evidence was quite conclusive for all to see

If it was b, then there is always the possibility that the appeals committee could actually send out a more severe sentence

Either way an appeal as three outcomes, either nothing changes, the club are better off or the club are worse off

i'm on about the appeal chris, koukash was obviously complicit in that process. if they had took the fine then the hard fought points from one of the games they have won would still have been in the bag.

There is no relegation, they are not in with any chance of making the playoffs so the league points are meaningless. They have, however, saved themselves 5,000 pounds.

But whether they are actually independent or not, why should they should increase the punishment just because an appeal has been received.  A player appeals against his ban and does his punishment increase?  No.  It is simply upheld.

Actually, on occasions a players ban has been increased after appeal.

Otherwise any player will always appeal as there is nothing to lose if the worst that happens is that a ban gets upheld. It would waste time and money.

I actually go do some work for a few hours and this happens. I thought this mishap was all dealt with and put to bed weeks ago. :rolleyes:

I think for Salford's sake I should stay here from now on, just to make sure this doesn't happen again.

You'll find that work's less hassle than dealing with us infants :tease: I tried growing up once , but it was BORING!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/22910804

Listen to the response from Dr Marwan Koukash

He thinks they're targeting Salford, or more likely him for speaking his mind

That the 4th official is at fault, and theirs was a genuine mistake

That one or two clubs were calling for a points deduction and have influenced the decision

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Agree - it's not uncommon at all.

Well, I'm struggling to think of one punishment to a player that was increased following appeal in the years I've been watching the game.  I just can't think of one.

It's about time other clubs pulled their fingers out and started getting our sport into the news. It's just not right that everyone wants to leave it to Dr Koukash.

He's just been interviewed about it on the BBC World Service!  I wonder how many times rugby league has featured on the World Service?