England coach heading down under

England Rugby League coach Steve McNamara will travel to Australia this week for a fact-finding mission where he will meet all of his international NRL based players.

McNamara will watch 10 matches during his 20-day trip. Next week he will take in four matches in the NRL, starting on Friday when he will watch England international James Graham play for Canterbury Bulldogs against Sydney Roosters at ANZ Stadium, Sydney. On Saturday he will be a guest at the Wests Tigers versus Canberra Raiders match. Sunday he will watch brothers Sam and George Burgess at Parramatta Stadium, when South Sydney Rabbitohs travel to Sydney's west to face Parramatta Eels. The following day he will take in the 'Monday Night Football' clash between Gold Coast Titans and Melbourne Storm at Skilled Park, where he will meet up with England star Gareth Widdop.

Click here to view the article

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @leagueexpress and TikTok @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

I sometimes think that things could not get any worse on here, but then, someone comes along and proves me wrong.

Only in English rugby league could an attempt  to improve the competitive position of our international team by watching possible selections at first hand in the best league in the world be described as a waste of money.

Edited by JohnM

I sometimes think that things could not get any worse on here, but then, someone comes along and proves me wrong.

Only in English rugby league could an attempt  to improve the competitive position of our international team by watching possible selections at first hand in the best league in the world be described as a waste of money.

Agreed

HOPE HE DOESN'T COME BACK LOL.

I don't suppose it's possible that, while in Australia, McNamara might be intending to speak to the players he'll be coaching in the autumn, explain what he's planning, what he's looking for etc. He might even be doing some promotion, shocking.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

HOPE HE DOESN'T COME BACK LOL.I don't suppose it's possible that, while in Australia, McNamara might be intending to speak to the players he'll be coaching in the autumn, explain what he's planning, what he's looking for etc. He might even be doing some promotion, shocking.

Oh, if only someone would invent the telephone.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Unfortunately that logic escapes some people.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Go tell that to all the development officers that were working away at the coal face until they were told that there was no money in the pot and given their cards.

Ron Banks

Agreed, and sometimes it seems people will moan at owt.

But then it seems you sit and wait so you can have a go at them.

Go tell that to all the development officers that were working away at the coal face until they were told that there was no money in the pot and given their cards.

I'd be happy to do that, if it were any way relevant to us doing our best to actually win something at International level. 

I'd be happy to do that, if it were any way relevant to us doing our best to actually win something at International level. 

My first comment was definitely tongue in cheek. But as regards the role of development officers, one of the best ways of making us competitive in internationals is to increase the talent pool. That's why it's relevant.

Ron Banks

The idea of sending the coach down under is a good one and makes sense to meet up with the players who might be in contention in Oct. The RFL should be congratulated for that, it's just the choice of coach that's the issue.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

My first comment was definitely tongue in cheek. But as regards the role of development officers, one of the best ways of making us competitive in internationals is to increase the talent pool. That's why it's relevant.

not to this world cup, though.

The idea of sending the coach down under is a good one and makes sense to meet up with the players who might be in contention in Oct. The RFL should be congratulated for that, it's just the choice of coach that's the issue.

not quite. Its just  that the choice of coach is the issue with some people

not to this world cup, though.

My immediate thought was another tongue in cheek comment

"Shot term ism "

But I guess if we could win the WC this year then that would give a real boost to attracting more players.

Ron Banks

The point to me is that McNamara is doing a reasonable and sensible thing that might directly affect our performance and success in a 2013 event.The better we do, maybe ( big  maybe) it the event may be (more?) profitable.

I'd have said though that the better performance England display in the WC, the more demand their might be for young player development

I have to say, though, that I don't know how McNamara's trip is financed and I don't know how (if) any WC profits might find their way into the RFL coffers to help with develoment

not quite. Its just that the choice of coach is the issue with some people

True, it is subjective I suppose!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004