Rugby League: A Critical History 1980-2013

Rugby League: A Critical History 1980-2013 by Richard de la Rivière will be published in late June 2013 by League Publications Ltd. Reserve your copy now in the TotalRL.com Shop.

1980 was such a memorable year for Rugby League. It was the year that Hull KR and Hull FC met at Wembley, the year that Wigan were relegated, the year that professional rugby in London was re-born, the year that saw Steve Gearin score one of the great Grand Final tries and it was the year that Arthur Beetson and a couple of unheralded 20-year-olds called Wally Lewis and Mal Meninga launched State of Origin as their Queensland side, regarded by everybody else as no-hopers, stunned New South Wales.

Every year since, Rugby League’s players have continued to deliver, but under the surface the arguments continue to rage as Rugby League remains the most political of sports.

This book does much more than record the tries and the trophy gatherers.

It examines the key decisions that have been made along the way as the game, particularly in Britain, continues to search for its big breakthrough.

With a foreword by Garry Schofield OBE, the book examines the international scene from 1980, the domestic games in Britain and Australia as well as comprehensive histories of Australia's State of Origin and the highly coveted Golden Boot award.

The author has also compiled a list of the best 100 players from the last

33 years and there is a full statistical wrap up of all Great Britain and England internationals, all the major cup finals, award winners and world XIIIs.

Click here to view the article

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @leagueexpress and TikTok @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

Purchased this online during the rain delay at Cardiff. I will reserve judgement until I read it but Mr Schofield has been quite active in plugging it on twitter.....

Is it because he's on the front cover...

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

From the title I was imagining a state-of-the-sport style analysis of the impact of changes in the time period in essay format. Reading the blurb, with its full lists of winners and 100 best players it sounds more like a conventional history of the last 30 odd years. Which is it?

Both I hope! Here is the contents list:

Introduction

Foreword by Garry Schofield

CH1 International RL 1980-95
CH2 International RL 1996-2012

CH3 British RL 1980-1996

CH4 The Super League War

CH5 Super League

CH6 Summer Rugby - Has it Worked?

CH7 Australian Rugby League

CH8 The History of State of Origin

CH9 The Story of The Golden Boot

CH10 The 100 Greatest Players (1980-2012)

CH11 Full Statistical wrap-up - full match details of all GB & England internationals, major finals, award winners & a full list of World XIIIs from 1980

CH11 Full Statistical wrap-up - full match details of all GB & England internationals, major finals, award winners & a full list of World XIIIs from 1980

Are these the World XIIIs for the Origin Series against Mars ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Ordered the book, looking forward to a good read. Amazing how some people can knock something before it's even come out.

That's one thing that I miss about the old Rothmans that would add greatly to the Gillette Yearbooks - a proper section on internationals. It would be good to have a complete record of test matches and senior internationals - complete details for Englans, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. I know space probably precludes it, but I'd love to see it.

Stock has just arrived!

Advance orders all packed up and in the post today.

If you haven't ordered it yet, go to TotalRL.com Shop and get yoursdelf a copy now.

Stock has just arrived!

Advance orders all packed up and in the post today.

If you haven't ordered it yet, go to TotalRL.com Shop and get yoursdelf a copy now.

I am waiting in USA hope its here before Sept otherwise I could have bought it at home.Really looking forward to it.I love books like this.I wish the late Ken Dalby was still with us to update the Headingley story

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Got my copy last week, and today my wife kindly called in at the Wires club shop on the way home from work where Andy Gregory was signing copies. She managed to get both Andy Gregory and Adrian Morley to sign it.

Just need to find a bit of time to read it now. :)

Many thanks to those who have bought it - I hope you enjoy it and say nice things about it to others : )

Just an update on where the book can be bought:

There's www.totalrl.com/shop obviously, and I have copies signed by Garry Schofield or Andy Gregory on ebay.

It's on sale at club shops at Leeds, Wigan, St Helens, Warrington, Widnes and Workington.

It can be ordered at any WHSmith or Waterstones and also through Amazon.

It's also on sale at Down Under Leisure (Wigan), Philip Howard Books (Leeds), Mad For Rugby (Workington), Whitehaven Embroidery and the New Bookshop in Cockermouth.

Have you thought about doing a couple of book signings/evenings tied in with a big game i.e. Challenge Cup final / Grand Final / World Cup? This kind of thing works well for Joe Saward (F1) and Guillem Balague (Spanish football).

Edit: I see it's temporarily sold out on Amazon - a good sign!

Edited by robinson2