Diskin signs new contract

Bradford Bulls hooker and joint captain Matt Diskin has signed a new-one year contract with the club.

Diskin, who joined the club from Leeds Rhinos in 2011, has made 61 appearances for the club, scoring 11 tries.

Click here to view the article

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @leagueexpress and TikTok @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

Finally a thread to show my underwhelm-ment.

Both "hmm" and "meh".

The T&A article also alludes to Heath leaving, his wife is pregnant so there could be some truth in it, and the new-ish RLFans mole suggests Matt's new contract is 50% what his original one was.

If either of these are true then it goes some way to explaining this decision, as Diskin has really not performed as well as he can this season. I was thoroughly neutral first thing this morning.

Still, big news tomorrow and Saturday according to Ross Heppenstall's (T&A) twitter account.

Matt Diskin has been average this season, and I suspect this deal is a bit of a surprise to many fans.

However, none of us know what the financial state of the club is or how the team spirit is fostered in training and tactics.

I suspect Heath might be off because he can probably earn more on a standard NRL contract than as captain of the Bulls. I would be very sorry to see him go, he's been a really good servant and player for us. He certainly doesn't owe us a penny in skill, effort or enthusiasm.

Either way, I hope Adam O'Brien gets a good deal and guaranteed game time; he is the future.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I suspect what has happened is, the Bulls wanted Heath to stay, he's said he's off (I think it's probably more to do with his wife/kid than purely money) and they've been forced into resigning Diskin so at least O'Brien is playing under a senior hooker. Personally Diskin was my number one priority to get off the wage bill at the end of the year, and purely based on on-field performance this year he very much has not done enough to earn a new contract in my eyes. A poor year by his standards - even when we were playing well, he was often dragged off earlier than usual or Heath was kept on as well as he has had far more impact (Leeds away the prime example in my mind).

Says more about the state of the club than the actual player sadly. (Not that I have any beef with Diskin particularly, despite what I just wrote).

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010