England to play Italy in historic first international

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This match should be taking place in Italy. Having an England warm-up match (which England could conceivably lose) at a WC venue is a ridiculous decision.

But Italy are coming here anyway. What would be the point in playing the match in Italy and then both teams having to fly over here in the week running up to their opening fixtures when they could be in England preparing?

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

But Italy are coming here anyway. What would be the point in playing the match in Italy and then both teams having to fly over here in the week running up to their opening fixtures when they could be in England preparing?

The crowd doesn't detract from any WC games and Italy get a marquee fixture to promote in the country right before the World Cup.

Play it in a nice small football or Union ground and get some cheap tickets and decent promotion going. Then promote Italy in the World Cup during the game. Could/Should/Would do wonders for Italian Rugby League.

On the contrary England/RFL have alot more to lose then they have to win by hosting this fixture.

This match should be taking place in Italy. Having an England warm-up match (which England could conceivably lose) at a WC venue is a ridiculous decision.

Wow, steady on there! If we play rubbish, people dismiss it as meaningless. If we play anyone who might be competitive, then it goes down as "ridiculous" because we might lose. Why do you watch the sport? To see us hammer people, to see us lose, or to see us play in matches which could go either way?

We had the same before the Exiles. "OMG, what will this say about England if we lose to the Exiles", then when we won, it was because the Exiles were rubbish!!

Don't know how the stadium was chosen, but perhaps Salford bid for it? The report says the RFL have "agreed terms" with Salford City Reds. Maybe Dr K thinks hosting England in a World Cup warm up will be good for his club, to convince locals that Salford is at the forefront of RL and not just some dross team scraping along on the bottom of the game?

BTW I read somewhere that the match will be broadcast by the BBC, as part of their World Cup lead in. Be great if that were true, and would fit in with the coverage they game of the tri-nations last year.

I remember barla beating Italy in 2000 world cup , I think the coach of Italy played in it, with a lot of nrl players also. cant see them being a test for England!

Don't be so sure. They are my dark horse for a semi spot. I think they will beat Wales. Beating us, no, testing us, yes

It should have been Lebanon

Except they can't afford to pay for their Aussies to travel for a per WC warm up. Italy is a great choice.

We'll be battle hardened for the world cup opener then, nothing like hammering a team full of part timers to prepare a side.

What a farce, they'd have been better off playing a team made up of players from the Championship.

The team will probably be quite strong but the galling thing to me is that they should be using more of the Italian players. I mean I can see the sense from a coach point of view, but it is a bit unfair imo.

I expect them to win by about 20, rather than the hammering you suggest.

If each nation picked only local players then just play the Tri Nations and an emerging nations cup beneath it. But then don't expect pacific island nations to travel and to watch standards below NCL 3

I thought this part of the article was worth a separate mention.

With so many sports stars and their agents squeezing their sports for every last cent or pent, it's refreshing to hear top Australian rugby league players eligible to represent Italy in next year’s World Cup in the UK have offered to play for free.

Roosters legend Minichello has played for Australia and recently made a comeback at fullback for NSW amid an injury crisis, but has long been out of the reckoning for Australian selection.

His dad arrived in Australia aged 13 and the family still identifies strongly with the Italian heritage.

"My family will just be proud to see me running around in an Italian jumper," he said.

http://www.tntmagazine.com/news/australia-news/italys-nrl-stars-to-turn-out-in-rugby-league-world-cup-for-free

The venue is a shocking choice.

The venue is trying to sell tickets for Scotland v USA - why on earth would anybody go to that over England v Italy.

Often feels like 1 step forwards, 2 steps back.

^ Both sides fielded the strongest available teams, which consisted of both locals and overseas-based players. Italy also didn't beat Lebanon, they tied and Italy went through by virtue of points difference. It's the second time Lebanon have failed to qualify for a WC without losing a match.

There is no glory and no points for fielding a fully domestic sides. Nobody wants to see a bunch of amateurs be whipped by 100+ points, nothing is gained and it's also a concern for the players' safety.

Edited by Evil Homer

Statties, Italy weren't a choice, they beat Lebanon to qualify. But I think (could be wrong) that they used some Aussies as opposed to Lebanon who used more local players.

aahh when you said it should have been Lebanon I thought you meant the warm up game, not who qualified.

FYI, Lebanon had only one local player in their entire squad and he played about five minutes. The rest were Aussies just like Italy.

I wish Lebanon qualified over Italy though. They have every right to be upset too when Steve Ganson blew his whistle about 6 minutes early for full time in the Russia v Lebanon. The final points difference in the WCQ was in the favour of Italy by 8 points. 

Apparently they lost a half million dollar deal by missing out on qualification

The venue is a shocking choice.

The venue is trying to sell tickets for Scotland v USA - why on earth would anybody go to that over England v Italy.

Often feels like 1 step forwards, 2 steps back.

Is it not quite a good idea to have an England match at the stadium at which you can then promote the non-England match?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Is it not quite a good idea to have an England match at the stadium at which you can then promote the non-England match?

Good theory. Not sure I agree though, think fans will just pick and choose rather than attend both personally.

Would have been nice to see a non-host take it like South Yorkshire (who have been ignored this WC).

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Maybe that's the approach, in reality, they will probably end up with 7k for England and 5k for Sctoland.

I hope I'm wrong.

Good theory. Not sure I agree though, think fans will just pick and choose rather than attend both personally.

Would have been nice to see a non-host take it like South Yorkshire (who have been ignored this WC).

Maybe that's the approach, in reality, they will probably end up with 7k for England and 5k for Sctoland.

I hope I'm wrong.

Scotland v USA can't be the easiest game to sell and Salford not the easiest ground to sell to neutrals. Maybe a voucher for a deal for anybody who goes to the England match?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

If England play a full strength team and put in 100% effort (unlikely) then they should beat the Italians fairly comfortably. However, it won't be a complete walk over and thus I think it should serve as better preparation than playing anyone other than Aus, NZ, France and maybe Samoa or Tonga. Add in the fact that it's the first match between these two conuntries and I have to say that I'm fully behind this fixture.

Considering they did deals around the Exiles match for both the Opener and the England v Ireland clash, I'm sure they'll try and do some incentive to encourage those who go to England v Italy to turn either at Salford again or at some other match. Honestly I think they should pretty much sell the England v Italy tickets as 2 game tickets including Scotland v USA anyway.

It would be great for the tournament if games like Scotland v USA are played in front of near full stadiums, and honestly in my opinion a little bit of subsidizing to get people out to some of the harder sells is not a bad thing.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Bedford? Peterborough?

London then Manchester according to wiki.

So it was either the Stoop or Salford.

Stupid RFL.