England to play Italy in historic first international

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By Lobby's logic every international should be played in London.

Under the 5m rule.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Isn't this game primarily to give England a run out before the serious stuff starts? Not sure why people are bothered about the attendance, or stacking it up to suit Italy.

It'll give England a run out of the week build up to a match, then getting from the base to the match and back. Try to make it as real as possible to the RLWC2013 experience.

italy are gonna have a decent team for the world cup....this is a potential banana skin for england especially if they don't take italy seriously..

should be a good game

We'll be in big trouble if we don't take Italy seriously. If England aren't "in the zone" by then, it's gonna be a long World Cup!

Always like seeing new nations, think its a good idea for a warm up. You could argue that it should be played outside the country so as not to detract from WC, but main thing is we have a game ahead of the opener. Good on the RFL!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Has anybody actually considered that the BBC has offered to broadcast a warm-up game if it was played locally to Media City? It is not a co-incidence that the Autumn final in 2012 was also at Salford. This is not a game the BBC has to cover.

So let's baulk at the RFL getting the England side (and pundits) onto national television a week before the biggest competition here in over a decade. Two hours of free publicity for the World Cup! :sclerosis: Rugby League fans would find an excuse to avoid attending anything.

Edited by Scubby

Yes, my original post was pretty negative, and whilst I don't think the venue is the right one, it is at least a great step forward that we are playing a 'new' team finally. 

I'm not sure this game on the BBC would be the best build up - a low-key friendly with unlimited subs, but it may be an interesting one for Premier.

I cannot agree cedars should have been there, Italy has a lot of potential they have around 30 clubs playing game.

Don't believe the hype. Italy's foundations are nowhere near 30 clubs strong. Lebanon however has a burgeoning Club, Junior and University scene that makes Italy look pale in comparison

EDIT: Ignore that

Edited by brooza

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

a low-key friendly with unlimited subs, but it may be an interesting one for Premier.

The unlimited subs bit puts me off big style. I understand why both teams want to give their squads a run out but I don't attend pre season club games for the same reason, they are just glorified training runs. Ah well, England might play Italy in a full blown international one day. Edited by deluded pom?

rldfsignature.jpg

• 1 month later...

Any news on the kick off time for this game ?

I will be coming up to Barton for this but would like to know if it's a day -trip or overnight stay required which depends on the kick off time.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both