Menzies announces retirement

Catalan Dragons second row forward Steve Menzies has confirmed he will retire at the end of the season.

Click here to view the article

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @leagueexpress and TikTok @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

Hell of a player, hell of a career. The very best of luck to him.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A true professional, was a pleasure to watch the NRL games he played in and wonderful to see him end his career in England.

I'm gutted he's retiring, he still looked like a spring chicken chasing back on against Huddersfield

enjoy your retirement steve, great player and a top person.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

What a star and ambassador for our game. I hope he stays within it.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

A true professional, was a pleasure to watch the NRL games he played in and wonderful to see him end his career in England.

France surely? Unless he is going to round things off with a win at Old Trafford! ;)

Can't say much more - great servant for the Bulls, even greater servant to the game. Hope he has a good retirement as he has sure as heck earned it.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Great Player, I hope he moves into Coaching, he would have a lot to offer.

Even if he doesn't fancy being a coach, his vast experience should be used in some sort of mentoring/inspiration role for young players.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It says here

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-league/news/article/480/8805376/steve-menzies-announces-retirement

"Menzies, who won the first of his 15 caps for the Kangaroos in 1994, spent 16 seasons with Manly Sea Eagles before coming to Super League with Bradford in 2009 and is expected to return to the club to embark on a new career off the field."

Does this mean he is expected to return to Bradford or Manly?

It says here

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-league/news/article/480/8805376/steve-menzies-announces-retirement

"Menzies, who won the first of his 15 caps for the Kangaroos in 1994, spent 16 seasons with Manly Sea Eagles before coming to Super League with Bradford in 2009 and is expected to return to the club to embark on a new career off the field."

Does this mean he is expected to return to Bradford or Manly?

Manly is my bet.

It'd be a tough choice.

Seriously, his skills have not diminished at all with time and he is still good enough to play in the World Cup.

For England or France? He would qualify for both as a resident surely.

;)

Edited by AndyCapp

Outstanding player.  His kind don't come along too often.  All the very best to him and his family.  

Moff
Go Cumbria!

"I am officially retiring at the end of this year. Thank you to everyone that has followed Rugby League & allowed me to travel all over the world playing a sport I love for the last 20yrs. Without you all this wouldnt have been possible. I will truly miss playing this great game!" tweeted Menzies.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-legend-steve-menzies-to-retire-from-rugby-league-two-months-before-turning-40/story-fni3fbgt-1226674560684

What a great bloke and ambassador for the game.

Best of luck to the guy. Shame he didn't carry on into his 40s though!

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Catalan Dragons second row forward Steve Menzies has confirmed he will retire at the end of the season.

Click here to view the article

Soft sod..............they come over here..................................................

:vampire:

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Wow.

I remember watching the 2008 Grand Final with a fair few people at a mate's place. None of us were Manly fans, but when Menzies went over for his try, we all got to our feet as one and cheered for him.

We were farewelling him from the Australian game, and never did I expect him to play on for another 5 years elsewhere.

He never had the skills of a Johns or Lockyer, but his records and longevity put him in a league of his own, separate to more celebrated league greats but proven to be held in very high esteem by everyone.

I take off my hat to you, Beaver.