Prime Minister pledges support for Rugby League World Cup

If Cameron hadn't acknowledged the existence of the tournament, everyone would be bitching about that instead.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I agree that the comments are all about the fact that he is a Tory.

However, the last person I would want to see presenting the trophy is a Tory MP/PM.  I remember the boos Osborne got at the Olympics.  That wasn't a proud moment for us in terms of global image but more than that it was embarrassing to hear people booing when an athlete was being presented with their medal.  I don't want our sport's biggest event in yonks spoiled by idiots in the crowd who think it's cool to boo Tory politicians when in fact all it does is insult the athletes.

I remember Tony Blair as PM being booed by the crowd when he was guest of honour at the 2001 Challenge Cup final between Bradford and Saints at Twickers, and he was still relatively popular in the country as a whole back then. It was a strange moment. As a sport we crave recognition from the establishment and moan when we don't get it, but when we do get it, we're still not happy.

I don't think it is a bad thing at all for the RLWC to be seen to be getting support from the Prime Minister, whoever it is or whichever party they represent. It is the status of the office they hold that matters.

Politicians, especially government ministers, do want to be associated with sporting success, as we saw with the Olympics last year and, recently, with the tennis. That is just part of the game they are in, and they would certainly suffer criticism if they stayed away from major events. Sports with any kind of intelligent leadership court those politicians as the relationship can be mutually beneficial. Again, just a recognition of how the world works.

Rugby league, despite its traditional associations with the northern English working class, is not some social, political or moral crusade where we only deal with people we find acceptable and on our terms. The RL authorities must work with the overall good of the game in mind in every thing they do. If that means working with, and enlisting the support of, people like David Cameron, Tony Blair, et al, the so be it.

Politicians, especially government ministers, do want to be associated with sporting success, as we saw with the Olympics last year and, recently, with the tennis. That is just part of the game they are in, and they would certainly suffer criticism if they stayed away from major events. Sports with any kind of intelligent leadership court those politicians as the relationship can be mutually beneficial. Again, just a recognition of how the world works.

Rugby league, despite its traditional associations with the northern English working class, is not some social, political or moral crusade where we only deal with people we find acceptable and on our terms. The RL authorities must work with the overall good of the game in mind in every thing they do. If that means working with, and enlisting the support of, people like David Cameron, Tony Blair, et al, the so be it.

That gets my vote! :)

The party of government is always especially interested in sporting success, as the feelgood factor tends to be good for their party's electoral chances.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The party of government is always especially interested in sporting success, as the feelgood factor tends to be good for their party's electoral chances.

I think that's a myth. Team GB's success in the London Olympics did absolutely nothing for the poll ratings of either of the coalition parties, just as their success in Beijing in 2008 did nothing for Gordon Brown's embattled Labour government. It makes for a good photo opportunity, and is probably much nicer for them that meeting finance ministers or grumpy folk handing in petitions, but voters are no where near as stupid as politicians think they are.

Mulholland was/is trying to further the interests of the game because he's actually interested in it and works to address the under representation it has in the media and society.

Cameron just wants his shiny slimy mug associated with any good PR stories for his own political gain which is massively different in my eyes.

It could be argued that Mulholland raised it because he is after the votes of RL fans in his constituency. After all, he is also a politician. Well done to him raising it. Just don't pretend that it is pure altruism.

I remember Tony Blair as PM being booed by the crowd when he was guest of honour at the 2001 Challenge Cup final between Bradford and Saints at Twickers, and he was still relatively popular in the country as a whole back then. It was a strange moment. As a sport we crave recognition from the establishment and moan when we don't get it, but when we do get it, we're still not happy.

I don't think it is a bad thing at all for the RLWC to be seen to be getting support from the Prime Minister, whoever it is or whichever party they represent. It is the status of the office they hold that matters.

A bit of reason and sense with those two posts. Sometimes I despair when reading the views of many a RL fan. We should be soaking up as much exposure as we can get for the tournament and inviting everyone including HM the Queen , the Prime Minister etc to our great sporting spectacle.

Cameron's not a "bloke" though is he?

He once famously tried to play the 'northern bloke card' by claiming, quite truthfully, that his wife Samantha was from near Scunthorpe (not Paul).

What he failed to mention was that it was her ancient family seat of circa 400 acres with mansion house in north Lincolnshire from which she hailed.

A half truth is a whole lie.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

I agree and I'm glad that Mulholland raised it in PMQs.  Our sport and its elite competition got a mention in Parliament and that is what is important here IMO.

Maybe I'm missing something here but, apart from a standard answer to a typically loaded PMQs question, what tangible support has actually been pledged ?

The government is giving some financial support if memory serves. 

UK Sport which is the government funded body for elite sport in the country claims to be putting up to £500,000 into the World Cup. Incidentally I emailed UK Sport about their lack of promotion for the World Cup http://www.uksport.gov.uk/events/rugby-league-world-cup/ suggesting much more positive (and more factual about the pricing) copy, they wrote that they were aware that their copy needed to change. However that was several months ago and still their original uninspiring text remains.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

It could be argued that Mulholland raised it because he is after the votes of RL fans in his constituency. After all, he is also a politician. Well done to him raising it. Just don't pretend that it is pure altruism.

Mulholland is my MP

I've had lot's of dealings with him and so have pottsy, wellsy and gav wilson.

his constituency encompasses headingley, and the latrge rugby league supporting north leeds hinterland. he's also chair of the all party rl group

He's a lib dem, and so not of my political persuasion

His passion for rugby league is genuine, he's also a very hard working constituency mp

perhaps on this occassion politics and genuine feeling go hand in hand.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

No 10 has just tweeted the Prime Minister's best wishes to all the finalists in the Festival of World Cups and encouraged attendance in the Autumn. I do think that Mr Cameron does have an interest in sport, and there is clearly someone in the Communications Team who has realised that in order to capture Northern seats you at least have to talk about things that may be of interest to voters.

Rubbish.

I despise politicians seeking publicity from sport.

Cameron is a slimy man, he's been all over the success of Andy Murray, the Olympians etc etc ALL after the event whilsy at the same time his economic and social policies are directly damaging sports participation rates across the board.

The man cannot help himself in seeking out what he considers good news stories to get his mug shot all over. I'll give it ten minutes after the forthcoming royal birth before he's there grinning telling the world how the entire nation is overjoyed.

This isn't unique to Tories, but he's a serial and noxious offender. Sport shouldn't be a publicity platform for politicians.

Spot on. It's not about anyone's political leanings. As a man he commands little, if any, respect. What's really amazing is that he can't see that we can all see it. Staggering.

There are literally thousands of people more suitable to present a trophy.

I saw that clip of him at Wimbledon last week. Offensive in every way. Maybe if he put in a decent shift at a hospice without cameras there he might be taken seriously

RL is full of people who have more morals than he can ever think about..... His association with our sport is based only on what's in it for him

Spot on. It's not about anyone's political leanings. As a man he commands little, if any, respect. What's really amazing is that he can't see that we can all see it. Staggering.

There are literally thousands of people more suitable to present a trophy.

I saw that clip of him at Wimbledon last week. Offensive in every way. Maybe if he put in a decent shift at a hospice without cameras there he might be taken seriously

RL is full of people who have more morals than he can ever think about..... His association with our sport is based only on what's in it for him

I can't argue with your comments BB but I still agree with JD that it 's the title that's more important than the person who has the title.

rldfsignature.jpg

I can't argue with your comments BB but I still agree with JD that it 's the title that's more important than the person who has the title.[/quote

I understand your point but I don't agree.

True leaders don't hide behind a title. They command respect by what they do and how they do it.

I know it gets us publicity & promotes the game. All good. But that's not what Cameron is about.

I understand your point but I don't agree.

True leaders don't hide behind a title. They command respect by what they do and how they do it.

I know it gets us publicity & promotes the game. All good. But that's not what Cameron is about.

That's not unique to Cameron, All politicians are in it for themselves. We just need to take advantage when it suits us as much as it suits them.

rldfsignature.jpg

Mulholland is my MP

I've had lot's of dealings with him and so have pottsy, wellsy and gav wilson.

his constituency encompasses headingley, and the latrge rugby league supporting north leeds hinterland. he's also chair of the all party rl group

He's a lib dem, and so not of my political persuasion

His passion for rugby league is genuine, he's also a very hard working constituency mp

perhaps on this occassion politics and genuine feeling go hand in hand.

Not doubting any of that for a moment.  Its just that when a constituency MP does something like this, it is claimed by some to be altruistic, but when a PM does something, it is  political opportunism.

I am sure that Mulholland, like so many other MPs, is a hard working guy with the interests of all his constituents at heart. That important  part of an MPs work is really underestimated.

Not doubting any of that for a moment. Its just that when a constituency MP does something like this, it is claimed by some to be altruistic, but when a PM does something, it is political opportunism.

I am sure that Mulholland, like so many other MPs, is a hard working guy with the interests of all his constituents at heart. That important part of an MPs work is really underestimated.

True. It varies depending on the character of the individual though - as in any walk of life.

I've had dealings with a few. I wouldn't trust some of them cut my lawn......

The World Cup is on the radar of Minister for Sport Hugh Robertson http://www.insidethegames.biz/blogs/1015110-alan-hubbard-there-could-not-be-a-better-time-to-be-in-charge-of-british-sport

Robertson says: "After the Games the question I was most asked was 'how do you follow that?' But we have just witnessed a fabulous Lions victory in Sydney, followed by Andy Murray's wonderful win at Wimbledon, defeating the Aussies in the first Test and being favourites for the Ashes series, and Chris Froome looking set to follow Bradley Wiggins as winner of the Tour de France.

"Also, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that we could have a British winner of the Open at Muirfield." (Which incidentally he won't attend because of the club's ban on women members. Quite right too).

He adds: "Then we've still got the rugby league World Cup and the international triathlon series in which a Brownlee – or two – might do very well. When I look at the results of the Olympic sports there is certainly no sign of 2012 being a one-off."