The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

That's not what i said.......If our elite players are so good that they are worth more than SL can afford to pay them then we should let them go..........i'm saying that i don't think they are that good............and we shouldn't reduce our game to a handful of teams funded to a point where they can afford to keep these players.

Parochial, backwater, inter-village sports competition here we come!

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is excellent news for a large number of Championship and Championship 1 clubs, who - given the opportunity, have the potential to grow and develop if able to gain access to the top flight. Yes, I'm aware that promotion and relegation wasn't always successful in the past - especially in terms of clubs overreaching themselves financially, but these days we have salary caps and parachute payments to guard against that. As opposed to catapulting virgin clubs into SL and ultimately setting them up to fail, this might allow sides like Gloucester and Crusaders to initially find their natural level - i.e. the level at which they are best able to cope in relation to crowd figures and income. If they were to reach SL in four or five years time via the promotion system, they'd be established entities who are able to build upon a presumably solid base - as opposed to starting from a position where they have to grow at a ridiculous rate just to stay afloat.

Edited by TheTerminator
r02c.gif

but these days we have salary caps and parachute payments to guard against that.

Just wait until your club gets a "parachute payment".  You'll see how popular that is around the sport.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

the reason i'm so vocal about this is I love Rugby League,

It doesn't come across this way when you belittle clubs. Some of these clubs were founding members of the game you "love". And you don't seem to know anything about there size or potential.

Edited by a.n Other

Exciting and popular parochial, backwater, inter-village sports competition here we come!

And that's the truth of it. You don't care what the state of the game is overall, just as long as you get to see your team play in the top tier. Even if that top tier is a fragment of what it could be.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Parochial, backwater, inter-village sports competition here we come!

correct

and there are people who want that

we now have a situation where featherstone will probably replace london-giving Super League(sic) three clubs within walking distance of each other in the so called heart lands, only one of which looks able to contribute to the competition long or even

medium term.

Or they could be replaced by Leigh or halifax, both of whom have a horrific record of going up and down in this kind of competition and who are likely to make no impact on that competition in the future.

As for Toulouse, you can forget them.

Somebody said that this was a triumph for Sid and Doris: how right they were

I think the game in Australia will become as insular as  AFL is and just get on with what it does-lucky buggers.

we have now set out a conscious strategy of contraction, parochialism, and isolation.

The sport is struggling to find a credible major sponsor for its keynote competition

I'm sure the owner of the local grime works will put a few quid over the bar.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

And that's the truth of it. You don't care what the state of the game is overall, just as long as you get to see your team play in the top tier. Even if that top tier is a fragment of what it could be.

Fev won't be in the top tier unless they grow into a better club than fax, sheffield , leigh, cas, wake, london or whoever end up in the second tier.

You obviously thing SL is really exciting at the moment and doing well...... I don't......don't get all dramatic and make out like i don't care about the game.....of course i care about Fev.....i'm a supporter.........but i want the game to be better than it is now.

Under the proposed split fev would have to be in the top eight to be in the top tier....even i think that would be stretching it.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

You seriously think that this will expand RL? :D

It sends out one message 'This is a local game for local people'. Which clearly delights a lot of fans.

It makes the away games easier if you don't have to go further south than Widnes with a once a year trip to France for a few.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

correct

and there are people who want that

we now have a situation where featherstone will probably replace london-giving Super League(sic) three clubs within walking distance of each other in the so called heart lands, only one of which looks able to contribute to the competition long or even

medium term.

Or they could be replaced by Leigh or halifax, both of whom have a horrific record of going up and down in this kind of competition and who are likely to make no impact on that competition in the future.

As for Toulouse, you can forget them.

Somebody said that this was a triumph for Sid and Doris: how right they were

I think the game in Australia will become as insular as AFL is and just get on with what it does-lucky buggers.

we have now set out a conscious strategy of contraction, parochialism, and isolation.

The sport is struggling to find a credible major sponsor for its keynote competition

I'm sure the owner of the local grime works will put a few quid over the bar.

That's sport.

It seems to me some people are more bothered about balance score cards and KPI's than what happens on the field.

That's sport.

It seems to me some people are more bothered about balance score cards and KPI's than what happens on the field.

there are different sports with different issues

if you want a steadily contracting small time parochial sport well good for you.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

there are different sports with different issues

if you want a steadily contracting small time parochial sport well good for you.

I don't. However, it does seem to me that you only want a sport where a team you used to support has no chance of playing in the higher league.

Why did Huddersfield become popular? Or Catalan?

Safety from relegation allowing them to build ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

And do these clubs have backers like they do? I'm guessing not.

Its not beyond possibility that, with the promise of a top flight club and the revenue it would bring, a Championship club wouldn't attract the backing of a major investor. After all, before Mr Davy appeared on the scene Huddersfield had struggled both on and off the field for years. Without his influence, they'd quite possibly be still stuck in the lower divisons struggling to attract crowds of 1000 as they did before his arrival.
r02c.gif

Only Catalan have finished bottom once during the licensing period out of them two teams.

True enough.

Hudds did build from a period of repeatedly finishing bottom but standards of the league below keeping them up.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Its not beyond possibility that, with the promise of a top flight club and the revenue it would bring, a Championship club wouldn't attract the backing of a major investor. After all, before Mr Davy appeared on the scene Huddersfield had struggled both on and off the field for years. Without his influence, they'd quite possibly be still stuck in the lower divisons struggling to attract crowds of 1000 as they did before his arrival.

After Mr Davy appeared on the scene Huddersfield struggled for years.  One of the reasons was the utterly stupid P&R system that was in place at the time.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

After Mr Davy appeared on the scene Huddersfield struggled for years. One of the reasons was the utterly stupid P&R system that was in place at the time.

No the reason was Davy having the wrong person coaching and the other clubs in SL being stronger.

I honestly don't really give a toss one way or another what the format is, I'd just quite like us to decide on it, then leave well alone for ages and bloody ages. We never know what the best format is because it's never left long enough to find its feet as it were.

That's totally my sentiment.

The RFL could have left it with 14 teams, made it a top 6 playoff instead of the ridiculous top 8, and brought back P&R with the 14th (i.e. last) team relegated to add excitement and mean there'd be no "meaningless" games. And the promoted team to be the winner of the Championship GF after a top 6 playoff in that comp.

And if the RFL now goes for that utterly, utterly ludicrous 12 x 3 x 8 format, well … I'll just about give up!