The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think that Marwan Koukash will hang around if the Reds are cut from Super League?

If the future of Salford hangs on the whim of one man then it's a worrying situation regardless and if Salford are relegated then frankly he's wasted a lot of money on a club undeserving of his investment.

What else would you expect?

My God, there are going to be some fun and games next season as the 14 clubs try to outcheat each other to get the prized 12 places. The accusations and finger pointing have started already. I don't even watch Super Greed but, for once, I am really looking forward to seeing what happens next season.

Well this is a predictably appalling decision. The hard decisions about how rugby league can be turned into a viable professional sport have been dodged yet again to placate the interests of a few small town clubs that have proven time and again that they are incapable of supporting fully professional clubs.

Rugby League in Europe needed a closed elite competition of 10 or 12 clubs that concentrated the TV money, sponsorship and playing talent to create the highest standard competition possible. That elite competition should have admitted credible expansion clubs like Toulouse or whoever else who can put together a decent business plan.

A future European Super League should have looked like

Wigan

Warrington

St Helens

Salford

Leeds

Bradford

Huddersfield

Hull FC

Catalans

Toulouse

One of Castleford or Wakefield

One of Hull KR or Widnes

The brutal reality is that British Rugby League can only support one fully professional competition. Because the game can only support one fully professional competition you can't have direct promotion and relegation between a fully professional competition and the semi professional competitions below. It is the very reason why the NRL don't have promotion and relegation with the NSW Cup and Queensland Cup. The economics of it just don't work. People won't invest in the clubs if their financial returns are dependent on the bounce of a ball on the pitch.

Instead of concentrating its limited resources to create a premium product that can compete financially with the NRL and Union the RFL and clubs have decided to recreate the 1980s. Instead of raising standards they will be levelled downwards as the money is spread between 24 clubs.

They have made the completely wrong decision. The top 10 or so Super League clubs should break away and form their own elite competition. The RFL and the Championship clubs seem to be living in lah lah land. What a joke.

Lets refine the question a bit more. Do YOU think that David Hughes and Marwan Koukash will still bankroll their clubs if their clubs are relegated?

The game can't be held to ransom by chairmen who bankroll clubs. The success and failure of clubs will come and go, that's sport

Well this is a predictably appalling decision. The hard decisions about how rugby league can be turned into a viable professional sport have been dodged yet again to placate the interests of a few small town clubs that have proven time and again that they are incapable of supporting fully professional clubs.

Rugby League in Europe needed a closed elite competition of 10 or 12 clubs that concentrated the TV money, sponsorship and playing talent to create the highest standard competition possible. That elite competition should have admitted credible expansion clubs like Toulouse or whoever else who can put together a decent business plan.

Wigan

Warrington

St Helens

Salford

Leeds

Bradford

Huddersfield

Hull FC

Catalans

Toulouse

One of Hull KR or Widnes

The brutal reality is that British Rugby League can only support one fully professional competition. Because the game can only support one fully professional competition you can't have direct promotion and relegation between a fully professional competition and the semi professional competitions below. It is the very reason why the NRL don't have promotion and relegation with the NSW Cup and Queensland Cup. The economics of it just don't work. People won't invest in the clubs if their financial returns are dependent on the bounce of a ball on the pitch.

Instead of concentrating its limited resources to create a premium product that can compete financially with the NRL and Union the RFL and clubs have decided to recreate the 1980s. Instead of raising standards they will be levelled downwards as the money is spread between 24 clubs.

They have made the completely wrong decision. The top 10 or so Super League clubs should break away and form their own elite competition. The RFL and the Championship clubs seem to be living in lah lah land. What a joke.

Duff post duff duff

If this hadnt happened many championship clubs may have considered switching to RU, rather than die or end up as an amateur club. Personally I would have backed my own club if they had gone down that route

many championship clubs may have considered switching to RU,

I had no idea that the lure of the South Lancashire/Cheshire Third Division was so compelling.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Wigan

Warrington

St Helens

Salford

Leeds

Bradford

Huddersfield

Hull FC

Catalans

Toulouse

One of Hull KR or Widnes

I'd suggest finding a place for London if, and only if, there was a proper plan and finance in place for the club. The rest of it is spot on. I'm amazed that the likes of Lenagan, Hetherington and Pearson put up with the nonsense coming from the RFL. As I remember it SLE is still a separate body, if I was involved I'd be looking to re-assert that status.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Any pro RL club would be much bigger fish in a Northern RU Pond.

Thankfully such a last resort is not required now

So if Leigh switched to union, what league would they start in? And how many fans would go with them to watch union, given that they could just as easily pop down to Sale?

You're really plumbing the depths of ridiculous suggestions now. If in fact that is the sentiment at Leigh and other clubs then we'd all be better off if they did go to union. And right away.

Edited by nadera78

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Any pro RL club would be much bigger fish in a Northern RU Pond.

Thankfully such a last resort is not required now

Union has been very blunt historically that you start from the bottom regardless of who you are.  If they can make a headline club such as Richmond start from the bottom again then they're not likely to compromise that for a non-headline club.  I think the only way they'd compromise that would be for a massive scalp of the likes of Wigan.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

You do realise it was the Superleague clubs that voted for this, not The RFL or the Championship clubs, don't you?

You do realise it was the Superleague clubs that voted for this, not The RFL or the Championship clubs, don't you?

No need to bring facts into this Gav! Let's stick with emotion and indignation, it's so much easier.

Reading this is why the game is/may be struggling. A player may be made redundant if his club finishes bottom? Highly unlikely as that player, as has been the way for many a year will find employment with another club. FOR THE SAKE OF THE WHOLE GAME promotion with standards is the way forward as there are 37 teams within our top level game. Toulouse? Championship 1 or nothing. You can't have a rule for one then a rule for another. If my club gets relegated? So be it. If it's 12 and 12 with P and R I feel it's the way forward. 8x8x8 will kill the game. Anyway Wood can be ousted?

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Yes, I do.

In many ways I think it's a rather brilliant piece of realpolitik from them.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Union has been very blunt historically that you start from the bottom regardless of who you are. If they can make a headline club such as Richmond start from the bottom again then they're not likely to compromise that for a non-headline club. I think the only way they'd compromise that would be for a massive scalp of the likes of Wigan.

Not having P&R would have seen us die which would have been a scalp for Wigan