The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

League express indicates today that the £2,400,000 freed up by the two clubs leaving SL is likely to be allocated by giving the top four clubs in the Championship/Superleague 2 £500,000 a year each.

Assuming todays league standings were the position in a couple of years time Salford, and London along with Sheffield and Featherstone would be getting this money.

This is just a "for instance" but unless I've read it wrong it may well be the case that Superleague 2 will be "loaded" to ensure four clubs battling for Superleague places have a better chance than perhaps they do now.

On current league placings Fax, Leigh, Batley, Haven Dewsbury, Workington, Keighley and Donny would just be making up the numbers??

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

League express indicates today that the £2,400,000 freed up by the two clubs leaving SL is likely to be allocated by giving the top four clubs in the Championship/Superleague 2 £500,000 a year each.

Assuming todays league standings were the position in a couple of years time Salford, and London along with Sheffield and Featherstone would be getting this money.

This is just a "for instance" but unless I've read it wrong it may well be the case that Superleague 2 will be "loaded" to ensure four clubs battling for Superleague places have a better chance than perhaps they do now.

On current league placings Fax, Leigh, Batley, Haven Dewsbury, Workington, Keighley and Donny would just be making up the numbers??

Accepting that it's just a "for instance" - is it the top four from last season or the current season ?

If it's the top four from last season, then there'll be an imbalance in "$uperleague 2" and last year's top four are likely to be this year's top four.

If it's this year's top four, then clubs will budget for making the top four to get the funding. If there's more than four clubs doing that, one or more of them will be disappointed - possibly catastrophically so.

There's no real answer to this unless $uperleague 1 and $uperleague 2 funding are closer together.

£2.4m divided by four is £500k ........ hmmmmmm.

Edited by Griff

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

The extra money will more likely be redistributed to the remaining 12 surviving, greedy, inward looking SL teams. Their desire to feather their own nests and throw out all the cuckoos knows no bounds.

The best thing the RFL could do would be to NOT distribute the extra 2 shares of SKY money to the 12 but use it wisely for development and promotion of the game.

Most sports in the UK rely on Internaltions to fund the grass roots sport we don't have that yet.

I'd like the sport to undergo a period of stability including the constant tinkering with rules, balls etc.

Wow, so the Championship clubs will be hugely disadvantaged from the get go? And they're supposed to compete?

This whole thing just gets more and more bizarre.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

The extra money will more likely be redistributed to the remaining 12 surviving, greedy, inward looking SL teams.

If you think this then your argument is with the League Express editorial team.

IMHO Superleague is not inward looking, they've been looking at the financial collapse of several members and the declared cessation of investment by several more, Superleague has abandoned expansion beyond the english and french heartlands, and now it's time to abandon the idea of a "competitive league".

The only way to get competition again and get away from the embarrassment of Salford.v.London is to open up Superleague to the independants Featherstone, Halifax and Sheffield.

The best thing the RFL could do would be to NOT distribute the extra 2 shares of SKY money to the 12 but use it wisely for development and promotion of the game.

Most sports in the UK rely on Internaltions to fund the grass roots sport we don't have that yet.

I'd like the sport to undergo a period of stability including the constant tinkering with rules, balls etc.

Whilst I agree with you, I don't think it's the RFL's choice where that money goes. 

They get one share, as do the Championship clubs.

That means that £2.4m is already held back. On top of the additional £2.4m that will be 'freed' up, it will be interesting to see what they share out to the 12 in the 2nd tier.

If the League Express article is correct then it does indeed seem bizarre to give different funding to teams in the same division, although not unheard of in sport.

If you think this then your argument is with the League Express editorial team.

IMHO Superleague is not inward looking, they've been looking at the financial collapse of several members and the declared cessation of investment by several more, Superleague has abandoned expansion beyond the english and french heartlands, and now it's time to abandon the idea of a "competitive league".

The only way to get competition again and get away from the embarrassment of Salford.v.London is to open up Superleague to the independants Featherstone, Halifax and Sheffield.

Well, I agree with your last paragraph. What you are outlining in your second paragraph seems to be the very definition of regressive and inward looking. it may be necessary due to finances but inward looking nevertheless.

Wow, so the Championship clubs will be hugely disadvantaged from the get go? And they're supposed to compete?

This whole thing just gets more and more bizarre.

Not in my book, the top clubs in the championship will be given a £500K advantage to help them battle it out with the failed Superleague clubs.

There will be several Championship clubs who won't get a penny under this proposal (which it remains) but you should know that the Batley's, Dewsbury's, Whitehaven's and Workington's etc won't be chomping at the bit to get to Superleague. Ambitions for joining SL are clearly limited to Toulouse, Fev, Fax and Sheffield.

What the likes of Batley and Dewsbury will welcome is an enhanced fixture list, so I guess they'll be happy with that. They won't refuse it if the alternative is to go play Gloucester etc?

Not in my book, the top clubs in the championship will be given a £500K advantage to help them battle it out with the failed Superleague clubs.

There will be several Championship clubs who won't get a penny under this proposal (which it remains) but you should know that the Batley's, Dewsbury's, Whitehaven's and Workington's etc won't be chomping at the bit to get to Superleague. Ambitions for joining SL are clearly limited to Toulouse, Fev, Fax and Sheffield.

What the likes of Batley and Dewsbury will welcome is an enhanced fixture list, so I guess they'll be happy with that. They won't refuse it if the alternative is to go play Gloucester etc?

Well, I know you consider me a fantasy merchant but the Keighley chairman has publicly stated that they are aiming for SL and a 10,000 all seater stadium is being discussed with Bradford council.

As the SAS say " Who dares wins".  just so you know that's the Keighley chairmans ambitions, not what I personally consider realistic.

Well, I know you consider me a fantasy merchant but the Keighley chairman has publicly stated that they are aiming for SL and a 10,000 all seater stadium is being discussed with Bradford council.

As the SAS say " Who dares wins".  just so you know that's the Keighley chairmans ambitions, not what I personally consider realistic.

If I were a Bradford Council Tax payer I'd be up in arms if what you are saying even remotely looked like happening

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

If I were a Bradford Council Tax payer I'd be up in arms if what you are saying even remotely looked like happening

"Discussions with" could just mean "talking through planning permission".

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

"Discussions with" could just mean "talking through planning permission".

it's paying for the thing that bothers me

especially when you consider the priorities that Bradford MDC should be dealing with, and the diminishing ammount of cash it has at its disposal to deal with them. It would be an obscene waste even if there was the money to spend on this fantasy.

Keeping it local

it's paying for the thing that bothers me

especially when you consider the priorities that Bradford MDC should be dealing with, and the diminishing ammount of cash it has at its disposal to deal with them. It would be an obscene waste even if there was the money to spend on this fantasy.

I've no problem with councils paying for sporting facilities up to, including and beyond 10,000 all seater rugby grounds.  As long as there is a high level of community use and benefit alongside that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I've no problem with councils paying for sporting facilities up to, including and beyond 10,000 all seater rugby grounds. As long as there is a high level of community use and benefit alongside that.

Me neither

What use would the keighley and craven area have for a 10,000 seater stadium in winter?

Why not just build the community sports facilities that would possibly go alongside

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

Keeping it local

According to today's League Weekly (make of that what you will) the redistribution of monies will be as follows:-

Option 1 - 2X12 format 2up 2 down -

SL clubs £1.3m pa

Championship: Top 2 £500k

3rd and 4th place £200k

Other clubs £175k - £150k dependant on finishing position

Option 2 - 2x12 3x8 format -

SL clubs £1.3m pa

Championship: Top £650k, 2nd £600k, 3rd £550k, 4th £500k

Other clubs £200k to £150k

Option 1 could go to 27 or 29 weekly rounds in SL, and will have a 6 team play off. Bottom team automatically relegated replaced by Championship top team, SL 11th place team joins Championship play offs.

According to today's League Weekly (make of that what you will) the redistribution of monies will be as follows:-

SL clubs £1.3m pa

3rd and 4th place £200k

SL clubs £1.3m pa

Option 1 could go to 27 or 29 weekly rounds in SL, and will have a 6 team play off. Bottom team automatically relegated replaced by Championship top team, SL 11th place team joins Championship play offs.

So they won't know what money they're getting until the season is over?

So they won't know what money they're getting until the season is over?

Presumably it's equivalent to the prize money that goes from top to bottom in the Premier League (as an example?).

How will that work for salary caps then?  I don't really get it.  Will there be the same salary cap as now for SL2?  Will it be variable depending on income and positional prize money?  If it's a single salary cap that allows for a low-end full-time squad, will there be revenue limits to stop clubs over-spending?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

SL clubs £1.3m pa

3rd and 4th place £200k

SL clubs £1.3m pa

Seems like a pretty fair distribution to me and it's very pleasing that all championship clubs get a significant increase in funding over what we get now.

What about Championship 1?  Any details on their distribution?  At the very least, the promoted team(s) need the same level of funding as those finishing bottom of the 2nd division.

Edited by Ponterover

How will that work for salary caps then?  I don't really get it.  Will there be the same salary cap as now for SL2?  Will it be variable depending on income and positional prize money?  If it's a single salary cap that allows for a low-end full-time squad, will there be revenue limits to stop clubs over-spending?

I would hope that the cap for the 2nd division is high enough for the clubs that want to be full time, but low enough to prevent silly spending.

I think £1m would be about the right figure, maybe combined with a maximum of 50% of turnover.

You're just looking for excuses and reasons to moan.

Whatever is agreed will dictate what the prize money is in the 2014 season. 

yes, yes, yes, good contribution. Thanks ever so much.

What I was asking is if this is central funding or prize money because it's not exactly clear. The SL clubs are listed as receiving 1.3m, which is what they currently get as central funding. But the Championship clubs' money seems to be listed as prize money. If that's the case then club's won't know what they're getting until the season is over, which makes it difficult for them to plan. As opposed to knowing up front what funding they'll be getting.

But hey, you just keep on contributing such diamonds of information, Ackroman. It's truly enlightening.