The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

How can making another 50-80 sub-standard players full-time going to increase the intensity of SL? This will mean we have 400 full-time players across 1 and a half divisions - with only around 40%  of them actually being elite standard.

Crazy.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree I wish we had taken the billion pound TV deal we were offered.

Mate by the end of season 1 of the 3 ring circus we'll be wishing that we'd got a future deal set up with Eurosport 8 (the Ocho)

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

Two regional divisions apparently. One quite big, the other quite small.

I've no idea how they'll manage the transfer of clubs between these divisions whilst maintaining a regional split. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I was at the meeting with 3 other reps from our Supporters Club.  The rep from Hemel Stags asked whether the third teir (Championship One) would be a national league.  The answer was a definite yes.  He was concerned that a regional split would not give Hemel competitive games against the Northern Region Clubs. It was confirmed that the competition would be national.  There may be some games that would not be home and away depending on how many teams they actually ended up with in the league and how many games were to be played in that league. If for example there were 14 teams but less than 26 games were to be played then there may be less games against your furthest opponent E.g. a London team may only play a Cumbrian team once a season.

By the way about 45 to 50 people actually made the meeting.  The RFL reason their arguments succinctly and were robustly challenged on occasion.  Whilst we didn't get firm answers on all aspects of the Policy Review, I believe the answers given were honest and well reasoned.  There are still many areas for further development and finer detail at least we know the emphasis is on the 12x2 changing to 8x3 after two rounds.

We can't say it wasn't coming but putting my own views to one side, I hope the announcement is accompanied by transparency and detailed rationale from the RFL and the clubs in the days to come.

Wrt toulouse, it's got to be all or ###### all hasn't it? We've seen what happens if you put them in the second tier (I don't care what you call it) and it isn't pretty...

It looks like they are in SL2 if they want to join our leagues. But havnt they got a sugar daddy? If so being in SL2 shouldn't inconvience them too much as it shouldn't take them long to get out of it. But if they were in SL1 surely they would be favs for the drop anyway wouldn't they?

Edited by thundergaz

It looks like they are in SL2 if they want to join our leagues. But havnt they got a sugar daddy? If so being in SL2 shouldn't inconvience them too much as it shouldn't take them long to get out of it. But if they were in SL1 surely they would be favs for the drop anyway wouldn't they?

I'd have thought so, but not if they get all the supposed funding...

People on these forums have told us that ther is guarenteed funding for a professional toulouse club.

If they come into a SL2 with P&R and with the guarentee of 3 or 400k from the rfl then surely these people will still step forward?

People on these forums have told us that ther is guarenteed funding for a professional toulouse club.

If they come into a SL2 with P&R and with the guarentee of 3 or 400k from the rfl then surely these people will still step forward?

People have also said that these sponsors will not stop forward for anything but SL. I don't think that this includes SL2.

Well i'd prefere to see them go straight into SL1 but tbh i'd need to see names and faces and garenttee's of how much money they will invest upto 2020.

RL feels like a dying sport "off the field" at the moment,the last thing fans need to see is more underhand dealings going on to favour certain clubs

Well i'd prefere to see them go straight into SL1 but tbh i'd need to see names and faces and garenttee's of how much money they will invest upto 2020.

RL feels like a dying sport "off the field" at the moment,the last thing fans need to see is more underhand dealings going on to favour certain clubs

This would be my preferred option too, but apparently until the SL spot (presumably SL1) is awarded them there'll be no guaranteed dough

To be honest, I'd much rather the RFL  etc have concentrated on making the current structure work with a few tweaks and more robust policing. The ambition of clubs like Featherstone Rovers inside the licensing scheme is about to bear fruit.

However, there has been a huge amount of criticism, certainly on here anyway, of the present system with critics frequently asserting that whatever the RFL has done has been done without consultation behind closed doors  and  is automatically wrong.

Now that the RFL is working with the clubs with a remarkable degree of transparency, and with more and more detail emerging all the time, guess what? Is STILL wrong!

Comments coming from Solly and Rimmer failing to get me excited about this. I think the worst thing about this switch to 3x8s is going to be Eddie Hemmings insisting on attempting to explain it every week on SKYs RL coverage!.. that and Stevo on backchat tonight..

Oh Christ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I really dislike this proposal and haven't made any secret of it but, knowing both of the people named above, I know a LOT of thought will have gone into this.

I still don't like it but, knowing Blake, the research going into it will have been incredibly in depth.

If there has been so much thought and research then why isn't that being shared?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

This would be my preferred option too, but apparently until the SL spot (presumably SL1) is awarded them there'll be no guaranteed dough

Thats like holding the whole sport to ransom and that cant happen anymore,we need to move away from this kind of behaviour

If there has been so much thought and research then why isn't that being shared?

One of the last questions - from a lady from the Huddersgield Giants I think was regarding this matter.  One gentleman in attendance commented that if the proposed structure had been explained as fully as it was last night there may have been less vocal objection.  The lady from the Giants asked if once the decision on the structure was confirmed would the RFL release a public document on the matter.  The answer was yes.

what was said about the extra money from Sky that's supposed to be in the pipeline.

All projections that were discussed were based on current Sky funding, however projections showed an increase in attendance and by implication TV viewers.  It was reasoned that closed, competitive and more meaningful games would improve the game as a package to sell to broadcasters.

they're damned if they do and damned if they dont - a large clamour against them for having licensing, they try something else and there's a large clamour against that. Also with how long it's taking - if they just rushed it through they'd get nailed but they're having a proper consultation period (although I'm sure we all suspect it's already pretty much ironed out) and again everyones having a pop.There's obviously a lot wrong with how the game is run but I think they're genuinely trying to crack the P&R conundrum.  I was as the meeting last night (I was the aforementioned Hemel bod - would have liked to stay and chat with the other CC1 bods Gogledd but the motorway - and a sodding speed camera - awaited!) and thought it was very good and open -  I would have loved to have got more info on various topics but there was only a limited amount of time and lots of people who wanted to raise questions

Another CC1 thing that is worth mentioning is that they said it was 2 up 2 down between the third tier and SL2 which, as far as I'm concerned, is great news. Think they were looking at 22-26 games (didnt quite catch the first number but the last was definitely 26) which then prompted me whilst driving home to wonder how many fixtures it'll be next season - there has to be more surely? The two clubs dropping down from the Championship are going to be in trouble otherwise, going from 13 home league games to 9 is going to be a hell of a hit.

One last, slightly ominous, thing is that on their slide it had 12 teams in CC1. As pointed out by one of the Welsh lads that doesnt make sense - as things stand it'd be 13 teams. Add Coventry - 14. Add Toulouse pushing someone else down it'd be 15. Rimmer said it was just showing an example of how much revenue each team would get (the present 75k) and that they'd be able to stretch that to whatever the higher number was. BUT later on to another question, from Oldham I think, Solly said something along the lines of "whether it's 14,13,12 teams we dont know but......."

So...methinks the RFL have some knowledge that it's distinctly possible not everyones going to be around come 2015.Who? Obviously the Broncos are suspect number 1. Coventry not to join? One or more of the CC1 clubs not thinking it can run to a 26 game season? One of the CC/CC1 clubs being in deep financial doodoo and perhaps not having the wherewithall to get a 'phoenix club' together in time? I dunno but they're definitely thinking (worst case scenario obviously) there might only be 36 clubs in 2015. In addition to all that wasnt the next possible step up to CC1 scheduled for 2015?