The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

When I first heard about the two into three idea I was quite excited about it but the more I have thought about it, its implications and how vague the RFL is on matters of finance, etc, the less I like it and the more I want things to be straightforward.

Just live by the KISS principle and all will be well IMO.

But will it be that simple?

It's easy to just split them 12,12,12 but how do you ensure that P & R works between theSL1 & SL2??

Mr. Sadler says relegation ruins clubs, and promoted clubs with no money are equally ruined?

12 & 12 may create far more difficulty than 2x12=3x8 hence that may be why they look like going for it, because I don't prescribe to the simple explanation that they are all mad and useless....

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing official has been decided on the new format .Clubs opinions have been asked for and some have given them, others are asking their fans and members before the vote .But no official vote as been taken yet .My feeling is whatever the Super League teams want will be the format due to the voting system ,and no thought seems to be given to Championship one ,and a workable format for them that will not drive them to the wall .

Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/rochdalehornets/

But will it be that simple?

It's easy to just split them 12,12,12 but how do you ensure that P & R works between theSL1 & SL2??

Mr. Sadler says relegation ruins clubs, and promoted clubs with no money are equally ruined?

12 & 12 may create far more difficulty than 2x12=3x8 hence that may be why they look like going for it, because I don't prescribe to the simple explanation that they are all mad and useless....

Nope they are not all mad and useless, far from it.  But they don't always make the best decisions as often the benefit of hindsight tells us.

I personally don't think the different structures will make a huge difference.  However P&R or jeopardy is introduced the funding change together with the introduction of a aspiration possibility bringing in more investment will be the key change.   So having 2 x12 or x2 into x3 structures will make little difference.  Although with the funding change lower down they will be able to point to the structure being the difference even if it isn't.

Union has the huge benefit of the international game which brings the huge exposure and subsequent monies from media, sponsorship and higher commercial hospitality prices that enable them to support whatever strategic directions or tactical goals they hope to achieve.   We need money to support expansion through the grass roots as well as strengthen the core northern base in England and southern France.   We will always have the chicken and egg scenario until we build a strong home & French international representative game.   Something that has never been at the forefront of any strategic decisions of the RL.

Edited by redjonn

It's been said before that the proposal was 2 up, 7 (or 6?) down from SL2 to Whatever-Div3-or-is-it-4?-is-called.

But it's only a proposal.   It can change.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Being a York fan, I'm glad there is route straight back into 'SL2' or whatever it will be called. But if I was a fan of the many teams that now seem likely to get relegated from the championship next year, I think I would feel very hard done to.

Why? It is better to get relegated in a vibrant complete pyramid structure, than be stuck in NL 1 with no promotion. You could in theory be in SL with 2 successive promotions

Why? It is better to get relegated in a vibrant complete pyramid structure, than be stuck in NL 1 with no promotion. You could in theory be in SL with 2 successive promotions

Well it's like when they expanded the championship to 14 teams. They relegated 0 and promoted 4, not relegated 2 and promoted 6, which is what this sounds like. It would be like relegating 4 from SL and promoting 2 from the championship instead of just relegating 2 and promoting 0.

Well it's like when they expanded the championship to 14 teams. They relegated 0 and promoted 4, not relegated 2 and promoted 6, which is what this sounds like. It would be like relegating 4 from SL and promoting 2 from the championship instead of just relegating 2 and promoting 0.

How short-sighted does that 4 and 0 look now ?   If only they'd stuck with 2 up, 2 down ......

Do the RFL know yet if Toulouse are going to be in SL2? If they are in then the 12th, 13th and 14th teams next year would be relegated and the 9th, 10th and 11th plus the Championship 1 winners would be in the play-off to make way for them.

This just gets sillier!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Do the RFL know yet if Toulouse are going to be in SL2? If they are in then the 12th, 13th and 14th teams next year would be relegated and the 9th, 10th and 11th plus the Championship 1 winners would be in the play-off to make way for them.

This just gets sillier!!!!

Don't know how you work that one Keith.  If Toulouse are in, you need to reduce the top 29 clubs to 24.  You need to relegate 5 more than you promote.

If Toulouse get in and we (York) win the playoff, that would be 6 relegated!

Yes, I know.  If it's one up it must be six down.  That's what I said.

The thing is - one up isn't decided yet.

I'm struggling to believe they will relegate 6 clubs next season

They won't.  It'll be billed as promoting 8.  Or 7.  Or 9.  Or whatever.

Struggle to believe it or not, you have to reduce the clubs by at least 4 - that's not counting Toulouse.

Championship 1 is gonna be big in 2015 init. (that is of course I haven't missed anything about that league on here)

North and South sections is the proposal.

• 3 months later...

Is this system the answer?

Thinking about it i came to this conclusion. ..

The worst 2 SL clubs would drop down a division and be in the second 12, they would remain pro but make cut backs...

They would be certs for the middle 8...

Looking at Sheffield and crusaders momentum they would also be strong contenders for the middle 8?

That would mean the middle 8 would consist of 6 current SL club's and two current championship clubs,

Lets presume sheff and crusaders make up the 8 would this create a glass ceiling as the extra revenue would in essence create a financial second tier? (Presuming two clubs would gamble and turn fully pro)

Where would that leave fev, fax,leigh, etc stuck in the third tier of the game? Even further from super league?

(For arguments sake you could change sheff/cru for any current championship club)

As a side note if leeds and Hunslet both qualified for the middle 8 would Hunslet be allowed to field half the leeds team to take points off leeds rivals?

The reality of 2x12/3x8 and indeed its success is that the 2014 championship grand finalists go full time and take with them a £1.2m player budget, which makes the mid 8 a very interesting comp that could go any way.

It also allows a philanthropist to financially back a club knowing it could be in SL the following year