The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given how much is made of the importance of the salary cap in rugby league, it seems strange to me that we'll have a competition where half of the teams are on one salary cap and half are on a much lower cap unless there's some mid-season transfer window where the top four from the Championship are allowed to bolster their squads. 

The best restructuring we could do would be to get John Quayle in charge. There is a man who knows what he's doing. Not a hope in hell of it happening of course with his history.

there was a document released by the RFL which showed on page 26 that the present TV deal was worth £23m per year.

if you look at posts 12 and 15

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1699938&highlight=

Edited by Cherry and White

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977

wigan rl-wembley 1985

redsox-2004

GB RL-?????

Lancashire cricket 2011

there was a document released by the RFL which showed on page 26 that the present TV deal was worth £23m per year.

Sky spend (your reference)

1996-1998 (3 years) £52m (£17.3m a year)

1999-2003 (5 years) £57.8m (£11.56m a year)

2004 to 2008 (5 years) £45m (£9m a year) Deal signed very late

2009 to 2011 (3 years) £53m (£17.6m a year)

2012 to 2016 (5 years) £90m+ (£18m+ a year)

Sky spend (your reference)

1996-1998 (3 years) £52m (£17.3m a year)

1999-2003 (5 years) £57.8m (£11.56m a year)

2004 to 2008 (5 years) £45m (£9m a year) Deal signed very late

2009 to 2011 (3 years) £53m (£17.6m a year)

2012 to 2016 (5 years) £90m+ (£18m+ a year)

that was in post one,as it was being reported in the press, they then (after looking closer) state in posts twelve and fifteen that the graph on page 26 clearly shows £23m. i have seen the graph myself and it does.

whether its a cock up from the RFL, who knows.

the document is posted on here somewhere along with another.

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977

wigan rl-wembley 1985

redsox-2004

GB RL-?????

Lancashire cricket 2011

that was in post one,as it was being reported in the press, they then (after looking closer) state in posts twelve and fifteen that the graph on page 26 clearly shows £23m. i have seen the graph myself and it does.

whether its a cock up from the RFL, who knows.

the document is posted on here somewhere along with another.

The quotes from the press on what SL clubs are given regularly talk about a 5 year £90M contract from SKY split 15 ways giving a SKY subsidy of £1.2M per club.

How far other revenues like the BBC money adds to that I don't know.

A few on here and that post from 2012 say they "think" the SKY amount is £23m or £18m.

I was "told" that the RFL receives £26m a year from their TV deals. Maybe SKY plus the beeb and that's where the £26m comes from. The same informant also stated that the SL clubs get £17m with the Championship clubs having an additional £1.7m between them.

On that basis the RFL are taking £7.3m a year our of the deals.

I do understand the SL club chairmen who want to run their SL and have their own chairman and CEO rather than the RFL's Chairman and CEO also being in charge of SL.

The RFL do seem to be clinging on for RL politics and power's sake rather than for the good of the sport. Does anyone seriously think those in charge at Red Hall have more business acumen than Messrs Lenagan, Moran, Davey, Pearson etc. No they haven't and they know it.

They can just see their power base and influence sliding away so they are clining on to power.

I do hope that SL can run their own business and detach themselves from the mess up that is at Red Hall.

A few on here and that post from 2012 say they "think" the SKY amount is £23m or £18m.

I was "told" that the RFL receives £26m a year from their TV deals. Maybe SKY plus the beeb and that's where the £26m comes from. The same informant also stated that the SL clubs get £17m with the Championship clubs having an additional £1.7m between them.

I do understand the SL club chairmen who want to run their SL and have their own chairman and CEO rather than the RFL's Chairman and CEO also being in charge of SL.

The RFL do seem to be clinging on for RL politics and power's sake rather than for the good of the sport. Does anyone seriously think those in charge at Red Hall have more business acumen than Messrs Lenagan, Moran, Davey, Pearson etc. No they haven't and they know it.

They can just see their power base and influence sliding away so they are clining on to power.

I do hope that SL can run their own business and detach themselves from the mess up that is at Red Hall.

We have also seen plenty of basket cases running our SL clubs - letting the club leaders run the game just because they have money is the wrong thing to do.

All those persons running SL clubs are,as you say, good businessmen, but their focus if mostly on their individual clubs and the to a lesser degree on the SL itself. Their focus is not on the wider game, the Championships, the amateurs in both the heartlands and beyond, the schools, the Unis, the armed forces and if you think they would have devoted resources and management skills to the World Cup that the RFL did and which resulted in the most unprecedented success and exposure for RL in my fairly long lifetime, then I think you would be sadly mistaken.

The SL should never be more than just one part of the game, albeit an important part, and to let the SL clubs run the whole wider game is liked letting the fox loose in the henhouse, there would be blood. 

There must always be a governing body responsible for the wider game and this revolution by the SL power grabbers, which is currently taking place is a prime example of why. It;'s not all about what the Wigans of this world want. There is a much wider focus to RL decision making than what they want.

So you reckon that the $uperleague 2 champions are the top team in the second eight ?  Most likely a $uperleague 1 team them.

This summarises the whole reason I don't like this system.   It's about promotion and nothing else and, with a 4 from 8 qualification, there will probably be a lot of meaningless games at the end of the season.

Not to mention that, at the end of it, nobody could get promoted.

Wouldn't the league leaders get the league leaders shield and thus become the champions? 

The split which you quite rightly say is about P&R.....Its in essence a play off system that incorporates a round robin...doesn't the Scottish leagues use a similar system without the RR?

I don't like the system either, but my concern is that its a fad, that after a few years will lead to the same teams in the same groups and the whinging will start again......

Wouldn't the league leaders get the league leaders shield and thus become the champions? 

The split which you quite rightly say is about P&R.....Its in essence a play off system that incorporates a round robin...doesn't the Scottish leagues use a similar system without the RR?

I don't like the system either, but my concern is that its a fad, that after a few years will lead to the same teams in the same groups and the whinging will start again......

Who knows who'd be champions ? And which league do you mean ? The twelve or the eight ?

No - the Scottish league has had - up to now - a straight four team knock-out play-off, involving one team from the higher division and three from the lower division.  Dunno if that's changed after the recent "restructuring".

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

total tv revenue from 2012 to 2016 is £135m.

That equates to £27m/anum (assuming the years are inclusive). which I presume includes the SL deal, Championship deal, Challenge Cup deal, Internationals (including World Cup), and takes into account both Sky and BBC monies.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

All those persons running SL clubs are,as you say, good businessmen, but their focus if mostly on their individual clubs and the to a lesser degree on the SL itself. Their focus is not on the wider game, the Championships, the amateurs in both the heartlands and beyond, the schools, the Unis, the armed forces and if you think they would have devoted resources and management skills to the World Cup that the RFL did and which resulted in the most unprecedented success and exposure for RL in my fairly long lifetime, then I think you would be sadly mistaken.

The SL should never be more than just one part of the game, albeit an important part, and to let the SL clubs run the whole wider game is liked letting the fox loose in the henhouse, there would be blood. 

There must always be a governing body responsible for the wider game and this revolution by the SL power grabbers, which is currently taking place is a prime example of why. It;'s not all about what the Wigans of this world want. There is a much wider focus to RL decision making than what they want.

I don't think FT said anyhting about running RL, I thing he was talking about SL. I for one agree with him.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

We have also seen plenty of basket cases running our SL clubs - letting the club leaders run the game just because they have money is the wrong thing to do.

This is true , But some of these have been able to run rings around the RFL admin, Who i believe " like MPs first priority is to stay in power, And the main tactic seems to be dreaming up new schemes to give the impression they have their finger on the pusle.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

Who knows who'd be champions ? And which league do you mean ? The twelve or the eight ?

No - the Scottish league has had - up to now - a straight four team knock-out play-off, involving one team from the higher division and three from the lower division. Dunno if that's changed after the recent "restructuring".

I mean of the 12, all other games would be play offs?

Magic may have some real meaningful games. ..

I was referring to scotland having top playing bottom to decide promotion. ... works for them?

Maybe samuel, hughes and hood could run the SL?

Edited by yipyee

the watkins review

http://rflmedia.therfl.co.uk/docs/THE%20WATKINS%20REVIEW%20OF%20GOVERNANCE.pdf

page 25-26 is TV revenue

SL seems to getting around £23m/year going off those figures which gives each club £1.53m the remaining £4m when split between the various parties probably brings the figure for SL clubs to the £1.6m often quoted.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Anyone know what the plan is for 2014? Will there be two relegated and none promoted or three relegated and one promoted?

they could take the bottom four of superleague and the top four of the championship and have a play off to see which two teams make up the twelve ?

I mean of the 12, all other games would be play offs?

I was referring to scotland having top playing bottom to decide promotion. ... works for them?

Play-offs - the question mark is telling.

As to Scotland, the funding gap isn't so big.  Remember this is between divs 2/3 and 3/4 - not 1/2.  To be honest, I can't say whether it works - I've no idea whether the higher division club retains its status more often than not.   Nevertheless, I'd be confident it would become a barrier, rather than a vehicle, to promotion in RL.

Not sure what you mean by "top playing bottom", though.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"