The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

A few hypotheticals in my post, but the exclusion scenario must pose a huge threat to lower tier clubs with ambition so do they simply die, do they become feeders and die from within or do they create a new product?

In those options mine would be the latter, but let's hope those choices are not relevant

"Creating a new product" doesn't necessarily mean more support.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Featherstone Rovers. On the basis that Mark Campbell, Feisal Nahaboo and the two other multi millionaire board members think they can. But perhaps you know better, maybe the aforementioned are just fools eh?

Terry, it's very encouraging to see that Featherstone have some wealthy backers. They should stand you in good stead.

Do you know in what form their financial backing is given.

Is it by donation, by acquisition of shares, or in loans? If in the latter case, what are the loans secured against?

I would be very happy to see you in Super League, while also being on a sound financial footing.

Now that would have been the actions of a fool. Why would they hurriedly want to join SL, totally unprepared with a below standard squad, when there's relegation for two clubs at the end of this season? Think about it Parky.

Well that's what would happen under the auto prom and reg that you  and others have protesting in the strongest possible terms about . Apparently a lack of it is unfair and unjust

Think about it

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Just to take your analogy a bit further:

Supermarkets are now investing heavily in Corner Shops (Tesco - One Stop, Sainsbury's - Local etc) and pulling money out of new Supermarkets.

Maybe RL needs to do the same to grow?

Just a thought.

Not so sure

The supermarkets saw easier growth in the out of town supermarkets that suited changing habits for groceries.   That helped close down the majority of corner shops.

Now the out of town supermarkets is saturated the companies look for other growth markets. That is re-opening the convenience stores, all be it using their huge buying powers to continue to out compete smaller entities.

So the analogy could be viewed as - first step is invest and grow only SL teams, whilst accelerating the closure of the weaker non SL clubs, etc, etc  

creating a new product?  I wonder who owns the IPR in the game and to what extent they can be adapted to a "new product"

This really is getting silly now.

I don't think he was saying change the game... it was about changing or adapting the product. I'm assuming he see's the product as including all the wrap around that goes around the game and what your focus is.   For example - be a feeder club and adapt the product wrap around as such as ensure a product that fits that - game still being the same.

There can't be many ideas or cures that haven't been aired on here now, But the basic problem is still the same.

SL needs a lot more money, below SL needs a huge amount, The trick for me is to get more in , rather than jiggle the same amount about.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

There can't be many ideas or cures that haven't been aired on here now, But the basic problem is still the same.

SL needs a lot more money, below SL needs a huge amount, The trick for me is to get more in , rather than jiggle the same amount about.

The people who have thought up the new structure believe (and I think they are right) that jiggling it up will be the catalyst for increasing revenues.

Time will tell.

I'd argue that is a different thread.

If people think a new structure will solve all our games money problems, they are as deluded as those who think this will kill the game.

The people who have thought up the new structure believe (and I think they are right) that jiggling it up will be the catalyst for increasing revenues.

Time will tell.

I think it will only benefit a very few clubs.

As you say all will be revealed in the fullness of time.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

Well that's what would happen under the auto prom and reg that you  and others have protesting in the strongest possible terms about . Apparently a lack of it is unfair and unjust

Think about it

I think you may have a good point there.

I'm just wondering if I'll get an answer on the West Lothian......

Sorry "Sheffield" question whereby had we had a play off based on the last three years success of their grand final wins and had they won that play off would we be promoting a club into SL with a poor ground, no money for SL and no record of developing their own local players?

Should standards apply or do we just run the play off idea without them?

I think we should be told??

You mention a lot of issues there, some of them not related to the structure of the leagues. But the point is that the RFL's proposals are unpopular with supporters, as our Readers' Poll revealed. A 2 to 1 majority against the two-twelves, three-eights proposal.

Don't forget that any player who is involved in international competition will play beyond the Grand Final. Did Ben Hellewell look shattered when he was playing for Scotland?

If you believe the game has become sterile and dull that's your prerogative, but I don't think any league reorganisation will cure that feeling for you.

And unfortunately you're not a realist, because you close your eyes to the damage that annual promotion and relegation does to clubs when they are having constantly to adjust from full-time to part-time status, and vice versa.

Have you forgotten the poll on this website earlier in the year that had 3x8 as a narrow winner? Was this poll less valid than the one that gives you your preferred result?

Ben Hellewell played only a handfull of games last year, not a great example.

I think you need to look again at 3x8, the adjustment you speak of simply will not be required.

at this stage i'll be happy a 12-12-14,three league structure....

and im actually warming to the heatheringtons idea of a ESL bottom 4 v championship top 4 mini comp....

but that requires all the championship to receive funding in some way....obviously the obvious plan would be to divvy up the super league money the 13th & 14th ESL clubs would have received....that would give each championship club around £200k each...thats a start. 

Edited by roughyedspud

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Have you forgotten the poll on this website earlier in the year that had 3x8 as a narrow winner? 

Is there a link to that as I can't find it now?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Super League feels like it has lost its appeal at the moment anyway, gone are the days that me and all my mates where excited when Friday came round so we could all go the pub and watch the match (whoever was playing).

The Championship chases Super League like Super League chases the NRL, the only difference is The Championship has closed the gap whereas the Super League is further away than it ever has been.

Over recent years the Championship has grown IMO, with the TV coverage, sponsors, attendances, competitive teams, stadium developments, club structures & finances, to the point where there is very little between the bottom 4 of Super League and the top 4 in the Championship (playing wise). im sure somebody will pick holes in this though.

SL needs to be cut, as its just not "Super" enough anymore!

at this stage i'll be happy a 12-12-14,three league structure....

and im actually warming to the heatheringtons idea of a ESL bottom 4 v championship top 4 mini comp....

but that requires all the championship to receive funding in some way....obviously the obvious plan would be to divvy up the super league money the 13th & 14th ESL clubs would have received....that would give each championship club around £200k each...thats a start. 

I thought the idea was to give this money to SL clubs as stretching that money over 14 leaves clubs short.....

for what you suggest it would be the same for the top 12 as it is now.........

I think I prefer licensing to this idea.

It's so far out of leftfield, at first I thought it was a wind up.

To even have the possibility, however remote that a club could become Super League champions, while at the same time face a relegation playoff is insane.

Presumably by "this idea" you are referring to my proposal as set out in my article in League Express.

The point you make about a club finishing at the bottom but then in the following year or two winning the competition could be easily dealt with by a proviso that winning the competition in a subsequent year would take away the need to feature in a play-off for relegation.

That could even be extended so that a club that featured in a title play-off in a subsequent year would also avoid the relegation play-offs, giving any club that finishes at the bottom of the league a massive incentive to improve rather than stagnate.

What is "insane" is creating structures that put clubs under needless and unsustainable financial pressure.

Super League feels like it has lost its appeal at the moment anyway, gone are the days that me and all my mates where excited when Friday came round so we could all go the pub and watch the match (whoever was playing).

The Championship chases Super League like Super League chases the NRL, the only difference is The Championship has closed the gap whereas the Super League is further away than it ever has been.

Over recent years the Championship has grown IMO, with the TV coverage, sponsors, attendances, competitive teams, stadium developments, club structures & finances, to the point where there is very little between the bottom 4 of Super League and the top 4 in the Championship (playing wise). im sure somebody will pick holes in this though.

SL needs to be cut, as its just not "Super" enough anymore!

its a point of view, I suppose, but not in my view a very realistic one. take attendances for example....