The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

Parky, the 8 is NOT the real SL, it is a seven week play off tournament at the end of the regular season of 23 games played by the SL clubs. The middle play off determines who will take part in the real SL the following year, read the RFL paper, it tells you in there.

If that were true, Terry, they'd all be on zero points at the start of the play-off phase.

Let's be honest, the stragglers get dropped after 23 games and the Big Lads get on with the real business.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that were true, Terry, they'd all be on zero points at the start of the play-off phase.

Let's be honest, the stragglers get dropped after 23 games and the Big Lads get on with the real business.

So no change there then, except the next season we have a bit of variety in that we will have some different players in the equation.

At least that should create a little more interest, and who know's, may just throw up some gems who have not had the opportunity before. 

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Added to which, such a league would have people queuing up to get involved so it would not probably be the same ten clubs either as any slackers could be replaced by a hungrier club.

If only there was a method of promoting those hungry clubs and relegating those "slacker" clubs

Nope. By keeping your points, this retains the element of seeding that is already in playoffs - naturally it has to be different as this is not knockout football.

Either way, if this proposal goes through, at the start of the season there will be 12 teams in Super League with fixtures against each other home and away.

Why are people happy to dismiss 23 games in favour of 7 games?

I hear 4 clubs have walked out of todays meeting with the RFL - trying to find out details of who the clubs are and why

4 walking out would be futile, as a quorum of 10 Sl clubs is fine for a vote to go through.

Nope. By keeping your points, this retains the element of seeding that is already in playoffs - naturally it has to be different as this is not knockout football.

Either way, if this proposal goes through, at the start of the season there will be 12 teams in Super League with fixtures against each other home and away.

I'm not.  I'm just disagreeing with Terry, if that's OK.

Because it suits their argument?

I believe RL is pretty unique and comparing with other sports is totally irrelevant and pointless.

Someone said that they can't imagine the same 10 teams in SL ad infinitum as it would be sterile. But would it?

Imagine if we had the money to develop into the point where those ten teams were all of the standard of the recent WC semi final. ....would anyone be bothered about anything except the on field action? I don't think so. Also imagine if it was so competitive that a different team won it every year. ...would anyone really say it was boring as Batley (no disrespect just a random name) weren't allowed to join?

Sadly we will never get the money to find out but it would be incredible not boring.

Added to which, such a league would have people queuing up to get involved so it would not probably be the same ten clubs either as any slackers could be replaced by a hungrier club.

If the RFL took over the running of all academy's they could distribute the new talent as they wished.....all the clubs would have to do is guarantee full salary cap......

It works in the US an they do have an even comp with different teams winning each year......

If the RFL took over the running of all academy's they could distribute the new talent as they wished.....all the clubs would have to do is guarantee full salary cap......

It works in the US an they do have an even comp with different teams winning each year......

Except there's such a large gap between what each club currently invests into their academies, it wont work. The clubs like Wigan, Saints & Leeds who invest heavily and have top performing academies will cut back on their level of investment if they faced losing some of their best & brightest youngsters to other clubs every year.

Until every clubs invests the same amount of time, effort & money into their academies then any sort of 'draft' system is pointless.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Except there's such a large gap between what each club currently invests into their academies, it wont work. The clubs like Wigan, Saints & Leeds who invest heavily and have top performing academies will cut back on their level of investment if they faced losing some of their best & brightest youngsters to other clubs every year.

Until every clubs invests the same amount of time, effort & money into their academies then any sort of 'draft' system is pointless.

Yep, i'd agree with that.

I think there are certain things where clubs should work together for the greater good, and you could argue they already do with TV deals and sponsorship, but if I'm honest I think clubs should ahev to work hard to grow themselves to be big enough to be able to challenge. Nothing should be gifted.

If the RFL ran the academys it would be down to the RFL to decide which areas needed more attention!!!

Clubs wouldnt need to invest in the academys saving money......

The funding would come from the TV deal......in theory the clubs wouldnt miss this as they were spending it anyways.....

Yep, i'd agree with that.

I think there are certain things where clubs should work together for the greater good, and you could argue they already do with TV deals and sponsorship, but if I'm honest I think clubs should ahev to work hard to grow themselves to be big enough to be able to challenge. Nothing should be gifted.

I agree they could put time and effort into marketing and other neglected areas.....

It would work if all clubs could pay full cap.......The academys dont even need to be attatched to any SL club....Wigans academy could be for a whole area and play out of leigh??, Leeds area play out of Hunslet?

Hull area play out of HKR (RL owned ground)  etc.......

If the RFL took over the running of all academies they could distribute the new talent as they wished.....all the clubs would have to do is guarantee full salary cap......

No, they couldn't.  Restraint of trade.

Dunno mate. If anybody is basing this on Tony Hannan's twitter account, they probably shouldn't, he is just cocking around about this subject.

You mean there hasn't been a lengthy discussion about biscuits?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I know we're on page 165, but please remember to stick to the point of the thread - which is the league restructure, the pros and cons thereof.

It is not a thread for baiting people who you know will disagree with you into a personal slanging match.

If that starts up (again), here's a straight warning to anyone involved. You will be suspended from the forum until further notice.