The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swapping them every year regardless, based on who wins the division below is not it though.

That's not what's going to happen though.  It'll be a 7 game round robin, involving the worst 4 of the top division and the best 4 of the 2nd division.  After this round robin, the best 4 of those 8 will get to play in the top division next year.

But will the top 8 then perhaps loan/sell players to certain clubs in the middle 8 ?

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

I do think everyone at the meeting thinks they are working for the good of the game.

Trouble is what some see as the greater good, others do not.

SKY TV pay for a competitive SL and are not getting it. Many clubs from the middle of the table down are just not competitive against those at the top. RL & SL are hardly the only sport that has that problem.

Perhaps if they got more SKY TV money they would be more competitive as with extra funding they could pay up to the salary cap and therefore have a chance of improving.

Some SL chairmen want less money held back by the RFL as they believe that they could spend it better than Red Hall. Others think that Red Hall should govern all aspects of the sport and control the distribution of funding.

The current situation whereby the Chairman & CEO of the RFL are also the Chairman & CEO of SL is a real problem. The clubs who want to change this are those that are challenging the RFL on almost everything.

It doesn't matter what the proposals are because we know that they will almost certainly be changed in a couple of years when it isn't an instant success or someone feels aggrieved.

Of course there will never be the money or the will to sustain such a league in RL so I may as well save my breath. (Or keyboard)

So do you think that things are changing because the previous arrangements weren't an instant success or some clubs were aggrieved by it?

The clubs and the governing body are changing things because they all see that licensing was a failure.

If 3x8 (or whatever else they decide on) is as spectacular a failure as licensing was, I fully expect and indeed would demand a change five years from now.

I don't think it will fail, others disagree.

On the subject of money, the architects of 3x8 believe it will be a catalyst for increasing revenues, again others disagree.

Edited by Ponterover

On the subject of money, the architects of 3x8 believe it will be a catalyst for increasing revenues, again others disagree.

The architects also believed licensing, 14 sides in SL, the Stobart deal, club call etc etc would be a catalyst for success and ultimately development of the game (incl revenue streams). I personally have no faith in this administration in implementing such a structure, especially with the few financial and playing resources available. Until the corporate governance of the game AND a long term strategic plan is produced, the game will continue to suffer.

Abou the 8 club Super League. I take the proposals of 12x2, 3x8 as being a recognition that there probably are about 8 clubs that are there or thereabouts in terms of being the right standard. I would think that this restructure is going to formalise this group over a number of seasons, so you are going to have a fairly fixed group of 8 elite clubs getting the biggest crowds, the largest amounts of central funding and sponsorship and, thus, the ability keep themselves at the top.

The rest will just be fighting it out for the right to play them each season.

Abou the 8 club Super League. I take the proposals of 12x2, 3x8 as being a recognition that there probably are about 8 clubs that are there or thereabouts in terms of being the right standard. I would think that this restructure is going to formalise this group over a number of seasons, so you are going to have a fairly fixed group of 8 elite clubs getting the biggest crowds, the largest amounts of central funding and sponsorship and, thus, the ability keep themselves at the top.

The central funding will be the same for all the clubs in the top 12.

If you have a club that gets enough central funding and other income to put out a very good first team then that's one thing. 

It's entirely another to have enough money to have:

- a very good first team

- a good squad to cope with inevitable injuries

- an excellent coaching staff

- an academy

- a world class back-room staff of physios, doctors and rehab funding to match it

- grass-roots investment to tie smaller clubs to them

- funding development officers that the RFL wanted to make redundant

- investment in the ground, training facilities and everything else

- efficient media and marketing teams

I could go on with that list for ever.  That's why there really is only so much "equality" that central funding will bring.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Yes but at the end of the season those 8 clubs will get big games against each other, whilst the others will face small teams from the tier below in front of smaller crowds. Over 2 or 3 years that means the 8 bigger clubs will become more detached from the rest in terms of financial and playing resources. End result is a settled top 8, and then everyone else fighting to play against them.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

If you have a club that gets enough central funding and other income to put out a very good first team then that's one thing.

- a very good first team

- an academy

- a world class back-room staff of physios, doctors and rehab funding to match it

I could go on with that list for ever. That's why there really is only so much "equality" that central funding will bring.

Oh I agree. But that's no different now.

Yes but at the end of the season those 8 clubs will get big games against each other, whilst the others will face small teams from the tier below in front of smaller crowds. Over 2 or 3 years that means the 8 bigger clubs will become more detached from the rest in terms of financial and playing resources. End result is a settled top 8, and then everyone else fighting to play against them.

They will have already played the big clubs twice maybe 3. times that season. Would Bradford get a bigger crowd against Fev or Fax than if they were playing Catalans or Huddersfield when they have to win to stay up? I would think they would.

I hope nobody was suggesting Jaffa Cakes.  They're not biscuits.

This is Super League we're talking about, the chairmen won't get that the name gives a clue that they're not biscuits...  For example, there's not many wolves in Warrington's first team...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1. I believe RL is pretty unique and comparing with other sports is totally irrelevant and pointless.

Someone said that they can't imagine the same 10 teams in SL ad infinitum as it would be sterile. But would it?

2. Imagine if we had the money to develop into the point where those ten teams were all of the standard of the recent WC semi final. ....would anyone be bothered about anything except the on field action? I don't think so. Also imagine if it was so competitive that a different team won it every year. ...would anyone really say it was boring as Batley (no disrespect just a random name) weren't allowed to join?

3. Sadly we will never get the money to find out but it would be incredible not boring.

4. Added to which, such a league would have people queuing up to get involved so it would not probably be the same ten clubs either as any slackers could be replaced by a hungrier club.

1. If their team was not in it it would. For me it wouldn't as I'm a Rugby League fan.

2. 10 teams would raise the standard.

3. There's not enough money for 14, they are making a cut to 12 so there's more money, cut to 10 and there's even more money per club extra and bigger crowds so the money is there...

4. Again your indicating yourself more money will be in there.

Watering the game back down to a regional dinosaur is certainly boring.

Fraser Dainton (Sky sports) on twitter claiming SL to 12 teams in 2015 and the 3x8 is in.. though to be ratified at RFL board meeting next week.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

So do I Ponte, then we can get on with it for three years and when it's a disaster we can then proceed to a properly planned Superleague and nobody can say "we should have adopted the 3x8".

By then we'll have been mismanaging Superleague for 20 years!!

Don't be so miserable Parky, celebrate the rebirth of the game.

This is Super League we're talking about, the chairmen won't get that the name gives a clue that they're not biscuits...

Hey - neither did HM Customs and Excise when they took United Biscuits to court.  No disgrace there.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

You've identified one of the biggest problems with this proposal.

- a very good first team

- an academy

I could go on with that list for ever.  That's why there really is only so much "equality" that central funding will bring.

Which brings us full circle, Who's got £3.5 million.

It seems clear from reading some of the posts that some people are not really bothered about this top 8 that is talked about,  They are just settling for being in the middle teir and getting some money, with the hope of starting each new season in the 12 and thereby getting the funding , without actually doing anything to make the top league any better.

If there is going to be the same 8 teams at the top every year, then surely the whole thing has failed.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

So do I Ponte, then we can get on with it for three years and when it's a disaster we can then proceed to a properly planned Superleague and nobody can say "we should have adopted the 3x8".

Well said, sir!!

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"