The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

So do I Ponte, then we can get on with it for three years and when it's a disaster we can then proceed to a properly planned Superleague and nobody can say "we should have adopted the 3x8".

By then we'll have been mismanaging Superleague for 20 years!!

at least give it 5 years like licensing then we will know if it's truly failed also

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What bothers me about the 2x12 & 3x8 is one aspect pointed out to me by a Widnes fan.

Fans of SL clubs who fall into the last four and then play the top four from the Championship may not like that at all.

They will have paid for a season ticket to watch Super League. Instead they will end up watching Championship clubs for the last 3 or 4 games of the season.They may have paid for a season ticket the first season but what's the chances of them buying a season ticket for a full season of Super League when they may well not see one the second time around.

Season ticket sales for the second season for those clubs will be very interesting.

RFL board will next week ratify P&R, 12 team SL from 2015, 2x12, 3X8 system and weigh in with SL sponsorship announcement

That last part was supposed to be today.  Quite difficult to do pre-season media promotions without knowing what the league's going to be called...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Unanimous was the decision to take the number of teams to 12 and bring back P+R.. don't know if that is the same for the new format, but maybe im just reading too much into how the press release is worded.

“The clubs were unanimous in their view that Super League should become a 12-team competition from 2015 and that there should be meaningful movement between Super League and the Championships.

“There was a full and frank debate about the competition structures and a commitment to support the proposed format."

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

RFL board will next week ratify P&R, 12 team SL from 2015, 2x12, 3X8 system and weigh in with SL sponsorship announcement

I suspect that last bit might be what made the difference,

Anyway we shall at least see what these clubs who are going to light the game up are made of.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

Clubs unanimous.

They were unanimous on the reduction to 12.

There seems to be a lot of politicking going on here.

I'd be willing to bet the RFL have handed over a lot of commercial power to the now-fixed Big 8 clubs in return for getting their little structural plaything.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

RFL PRESS RELEASE

Super League to feature 12 teams from 2015

Super League will become a 12-team competition from 2015 after the 14 member clubs today backed plans to introduce an innovative new league structure.
From next year, Rugby League’s elite competition will feature 12 clubs alongside a 12-team Championship that splits into three groups of eight.
At a meeting in St Helens, the clubs voted unanimously to return promotion and relegation and pledged their support to the proposed structure which is a central tenet of the RFL’s Policy Review.
Super League (Europe) Chairman Brian Barwick said: “I would like to thank the clubs for their contribution to what was a very fruitful and positive meeting.
“The clubs were unanimous in their view that Super League should become a 12-team competition from 2015 and that there should be meaningful movement between Super League and the Championships.
“There was a full and frank debate about the competition structures and a commitment to support the proposed format.
“The Super League clubs’ decision will now go before the RFL’s independent Board of Directors for ratification next week.”
Full details of the new structures will be announced later this month.

George Riley ‏@georgeyboy 1m

Thoughts on confirmation of new Super League structure?Consultation process did include some members of media. I personally advised against

I have replied very succinctly.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)