The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were unanimous on the reduction to 12.

There seems to be a lot of politicking going on here.

I'd be willing to bet the RFL have handed over a lot of commercial power to the now-fixed Big 8 clubs in return for getting their little structural plaything.

Which might turn out to be the best thing in the medium term.

The RFL look to the wider interest of the sport, but let the commercially successful people running the top clubs get on with getting more money into the sport. I know it might be fantasy thinking, but if those people (Lenegan/ Koucash etc) can shake up the top of the ladder and get more people putting money into RL, whether through bums on seats or sponsors in the lounge, then hopefully the wider sport can benefit. All we need now are some good sponsoship announcements.

And let the rugby commence.

RFL PRESS RELEASE

Super League to feature 12 teams from 2015

Super League will become a 12-team competition from 2015 after the 14 member clubs today backed plans to introduce an innovative new league structure.

From next year, Rugby League’s elite competition will feature 12 clubs alongside a 12-team Championship that splits into three groups of eight.

At a meeting in St Helens, the clubs voted unanimously to return promotion and relegation and pledged their support to the proposed structure which is a central tenet of the RFL’s Policy Review.

Super League (Europe) Chairman Brian Barwick said: “I would like to thank the clubs for their contribution to what was a very fruitful and positive meeting.

“The clubs were unanimous in their view that Super League should become a 12-team competition from 2015 and that there should be meaningful movement between Super League and the Championships.

“There was a full and frank debate about the competition structures and a commitment to support the proposed format.

“The Super League clubs’ decision will now go before the RFL’s independent Board of Directors for ratification next week.”

Full details of the new structures will be announced later this month.

Love the comments beneath the page on the Superleague website - it's an utter shambles I tell you!!

Whilst the rest fight for the scraps...

(I shake my head in despair)

Like I say, it's just my hunch so please don't take it as FACT.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I am very very upset, angry  and disappointed. . Fancy the RFL announcing this before the topic has reached 200 pages  and 4000 posts. Complete farce and shambles.!!!  :)  :)  :)

Anyway. now it has been agreed and announced, I'm right behind it and will get no joy if it does not achieve its objective.

Well isnt this pretty.

Does this mean those that want franchising are now the flat-earthers and parochial?

Entrenched I tell thi!!!

I quite like the term "nouveau flat-capper".

But today is not a day for name calling or bragging.

I hope the RL community unites around the new deal.

Look back at how good it was during the world cup, when we were all singing from the same hymn sheet.

Well all I can say is the bottom few teams in Super League better start to perform on the field otherwise they WILL be playing the likes of Leigh, Featherstone & Halifax and after 22 rounds of getting pasted it WILL be their own fault!

For once in a long time some of those players who run out game 1 will in the back of their mind know they need to perform unless they want to be playing on the slope at Fev or at the LSV.

As a Rugby League fan do you not think 22 rounds of high intensity Super League games with meaningful outcomes might just be the slightest bit exciting for the fans?

Don't forget the "booby prize" is coming to play at Leigh???

Well isnt this pretty.

Does this mean those that want franchising are now the flat-earthers and parochial?

Entrenched I tell thi!!!

I don't think so Matt

The decision has been taken in good faith, as with other decisions.

That's all that people can expect.

That's,what makes this decision along with past decision fair and just, whether people agree with it or not.

Now's the time to sit back, see what happens and enjoy our rugby league.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

The Good Doctor has posted a curious tweet on this

https://twitter.com/drmarwanK/status/424223303562436608

I think it means that the Broncos will struggle to make it through next season as who is going to throw away all that money on a club that's almost guaranteed to be one of the relegated two.  It's hard enough investing in a struggling club that you know is safe from relegation but I can imagine that it's a seriously depressing concept throwing money at a club for nothing.

The vote was unanimous so London Broncos voted in favour - There is a reason why players and coaches sign on a one year deal and the club only wanted a one year deal with AK.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Anyway. now it has been agreed and announced, I'm right behind it and will get no joy if it does not achieve its objective.

Well said john

It's a pity that people who disagree with the current system couldn't have conducted themselves with similar equanimity and open mindedness.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

That seems a strange statement? Surely the RFL would have involved Premier Sports heavily in the consultation process...

They are the broadcasters of the Championship and the likely broadcasters of the lower 8/8. SKY will almost certainly want the Top 8 only.

Welcome to an 8 Club league in 2016 !

Edited by THE RED ROOSTER

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Well, it's a rare day when virtually the entire rugby league family is united in agreement.

So, credit to the clubs and RFL for creating and voting through something that has been met with near-universal contempt.

It's just as well this is the greatest game ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Can we start the debate about the changes in 2018 now or should we wait for a bit?

2018?

This farce'll be out by the end of the 2016 season.  FACT.

That seems a strange statement? Surely the RFL would have involved Premier Sports heavily in the consultation process...

Read their next tweet. Suggested crowd funding to buy them the rights! Lol.

Premier don't have two beans to rub so I doubt the RFL will have consulted for long.