The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

Can we start the debate about the changes in 2018 now or should we wait for a bit?

I think we should have an extra phase where the groups of 8 split into groups of 4.  Those 6 leagues play a round-robin tournament then split again for a two-leg game for each of the 12 mini-leagues to determine placings for a 24 team play-off system.  Those in the top two 2 team leagues get byes to the quarter-finals but must play exhibition matches every week against each other until the play-offs catch up with them.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does 2015 season start with 12 SL and 12 Championship please?

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

So our super league stars, who could be international quality be potential play against semi pro outsits from the championship if there team finishes outside the top 8?? ... Ie-Halifax, feartherstone, Sheffield,Batley???

I'm sure rangi chase can't wait to test himself at mount pleasant

Not sure that's the kind of standard he wants to play at

Unless I've got this all wrong???

I don't think so Matt

The decision has been taken in good faith, as with other decisions.

That's all that people can expect.

That's,what makes this decision along with past decision fair and just, whether people agree with it or not.

Now's the time to sit back, see what happens and enjoy our rugby league.

A strong second tier is what the game has been crying out for for years. This gives us the best shot, Toulouse can join this second tier and develop properly.

Cummins Out.

So our super league stars, who could be international quality be potential play against semi pro outsits from the championship if there team finishes outside the top 8?? ... Ie-Halifax, feartherstone, Sheffield,Batley???

Rangi Chase did once test himself at Post Office Road, and came up woefully short on that day.

Tweeters are saying this structure failed in Scotland. Did it?

I confess total ignorance here.

It was proposed but opposed by the majority of fans.  It would have passed but two clubs, (St Mirren and Ross County from memory), voted against and so it failed.  The only place it's been tried is Switzerland who had it for about 10 years - dropping it because attendances for the middle teams hit rock bottom.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

How does 2015 season start with 12 SL and 12 Championship please?

Two teams leave Super League.  One of these will be London ceasing to exist.  The other will be chosen at random because jeopardy is cool.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A strong second tier is what the game has been crying out for for years. This gives us the best shot, Toulouse can join this second tier and develop properly.

Absolutely right.  I hope we see Toulouse on the start line next year.  I'd imagine they'll be the first real success story of the new structure.

Trying hard to find some positive in this, but I'm struggling.  After all the positive feeling, optimism, hope and enjoyment after the world cup, I'm left with my head spinning and really not knowing which way to go.  I won't be drawn into the "farce, shambles disgrace" debate just yet as I need time to work out what it all means and how its going to work in practice. The biggest disappointment to me is that will make us look like a sport that is constantly looking for novelty value when the reality is the base product is of such good quality it should sell itself.  I've supported this game for over 30years and enjoyed (almost) every minute of it.  I get the feeling most of us would share that feeling. So why do we need to endlessly tinker with structures / formats / rules etc.  What's needed is stability.  So, if this is the structure we're going to have, please just let's not do anything, at all with it for a considerable length of time. If ever.

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

The aim is that Championship go full time as well. Jon Wilkin mentioned that a few months ago too in his players union interview (mentioned something about giving players a second chance at full time).

This new system is just the end of year play offs I understand, so if Chase' team did finish below 9th theyd still be playing instead of the 5 week break before internationals.... surely that point is a winner?

Cummins Out.

Like they did a couple of years back?

Let's hope Catalan don't have a bad season.

Knurr and spell will have a new rival eventually.

But again this as with decisions in the past have been taken in good faith and that's all you can expect.

I wonder who the scapegoat will be as events unfold.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Two teams leave Super League.  One of these will be London ceasing to exist.  The other will be chosen at random because jeopardy is cool.

Look, we get that being a London fan is a pretty miserable existance at the moment.  But you've no idea what will happen.  Your squad is starting to look half decent, Wakey, Bradford and Cas are in just as much danger as you are.

Jeopardy is not cool, it's essential.

The only place it's been tried is Switzerland who had it for about 10 years - dropping it because attendances for the middle teams hit rock bottom.

I'd hazard a guess that is exactly what will happen at clubs like Castleford, Wakefield and whoever else finishes in the bottom 4 of SL.

Absolutely right.  I hope we see Toulouse on the start line next year.  I'd imagine they'll be the first real success story of the new structure.

To give Toulouse a proper crack at being ready, they need a longer lead time than 12 months...

Look, we get that being a London fan is a pretty miserable existance at the moment.  But you've no idea what will happen.  Your squad is starting to look half decent, Wakey, Bradford and Cas are in just as much danger as you are.

Jeopardy is not cool, it's essential.

London have a squad that is good enough for 'possibly not bottom' of Super League.  But they don't have a ground or any income streams.  Nobody is going to invest in them if, at the end of 2014, they're going down into the Championship.  That's not me being anything other than realistic about our situation.  We were a ghost club a couple of weeks ago and not much has changed since other than we now have some players.

Is it wrong to say I'm rather excited by this format and think it will be good for the game? :ph34r:

Not at all if that's the way you feel.

Why would it be wrong

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

You can say it

It's wrong beyond words but you can say it

My only consolation is that Huddersfield have a good chance of coming out stronger...clubs in the middle 8 are destined to decades of yoyo syndrome. I can only assume the payoff is sweet

It's like Superleague 1 all over again

I'd hazard a guess that is exactly what will happen at clubs like Castleford, Wakefield and whoever else finishes in the bottom 4 of SL.

To give Toulouse a proper crack at being ready, they need a longer lead time than 12 months...

That's the whole point of 2 x 12 / 3 x 8.

There's a place where they can get ready.  Something they had no hope of doing when they were in a league with a glass ceiling 2009-2011.

I am amazed that this decision has been made without first agreeing on the governance and finance issues (see Sky's report here: http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12204/9120746/super-league-to-be-cut-to-12-teams-from-2015 )  So they are all going into this without an agreement on how any of it is going to be funded?  Incredible.

I'm not in favour of the 8 x 3 x 8 format.  What we needed to focus upon as a sport are the very things that were not agreed at the first meeting.