The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

Assuming all the present clubs survive to 2015 and Toulouse are accepted in -that will leave 14 teams in the championship.If Leicester and Coventry are ready for that level the then 16 teams could be split into a northern and southern section.That would make more sense with travelling times and costs at that level and at the same time give a national feel.

And won't that be absolutely fantastic?

The future looks really bright.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No you can't, that's why all previous attempts failed.

Those foundations are looking stronger as each day goes by though.

Rugby League is a bottom-up fed organisation. With the fall in participation numbers at the junior/youth/amateur levels, a reduction in the number of Academies and a huge reduction in Sport England funding, I would suggest that the foundations are looking the opposite to your own opinion. Papering over the cracks at the top of the hierarchy is not going to change that and is a sign of an organisation who have poor corporate governance over the sport it runs.

Very disappointed with this decision but I'll try and deal with it in a much better way than the BS from so many people over the last five years. That said, I do reserve the right to laugh and gloat when this is being torn up in a couple of years time. I only hope that not too much damage is done in the meantime.

hopefully not as much damage as the last 5 years then

Awesome news...really happy  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

This will create more big games with more at stake at all levels and more excitement for any prospective new fans of the sport IMO.

If teams go bust it's cos they are run badly.......it's not the RFL's fault and not because they got relegated.

I might watch Super League before the play off's now as the threat of relegation this year should throw up some spicy fixtures!!!!

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

Ok that's the system, let's hope it works and people like me are shown to be wrong.

I hope I never have to come on here and say I told you so because if I do it means we will have had some serious casualties.

Edited by Padge

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Ok that's the system, let's hope it works and people like me are shown to be wrong.

I hope I never have to come on here and say I told you so because if I do it means we will have had some serious casualties.

Can't say fairer than that Padge

Here's to the future.

Strange that views on this forum are still mixed -yet all the clubs now seem to be in favour

No, all the clubs voted it in, being in favour is different.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

No, all the clubs voted it in, being in favour is different.

Unless you know differently the only confirmed unanimous vote was to reduce to 12.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

They've said previously that SL will get 3, Champ 4

Then it's the luck of the draw, especially for the four Championship clubs, as to who gets to play who away from home.  

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Unless you know differently the only confirmed unanimous vote was to reduce to 12.

gary hetherington stated on sky sports news it was a majority vote so some clubs must of been against, judging by wigans chairmans statement he must of been against as he sounds like a man speaking with a dummy shoved back in his mouth

gary hetherington stated on sky sports news it was a majority vote so some clubs must of been against, judging by wigans chairmans statement he must of been against as he sounds like a man speaking with a dummy shoved back in his mouth

Dr K's tweet looks like he was against too, but he's vowed to make it work.

Fantastic news for the sport. Can't wait for battle to commence

I hope you are right. I think not though since the deck is totally stacked against the championship clubs and the elite will have their self contained top tier.

1 or 2 up p and r would have given the championship teams a better chance.

I'm bemused that some people can enthuse about the new system when there hasn't even been a decision about how it is going to be financed or governed, and the detail of what will happen to the Championships or Challenge Cup or TV deals or title sponsorships has not been reported (assuming any of the same has even been considered - I know from Twitter that Premier Sports have no idea how this decision will affect them).  There is a massive risk of so much good being undermined which I think is particularly sad after enjoying such a terrific world cup.

I hope you are right. I think not though since the deck is totally stacked against the championship clubs and the elite will have their self contained top tier.

1 or 2 up p and r would have given the championship teams a better chance.

It's a whole game solution Keighley, it's not just about the championship.

Edited by Ponterover

I don't understand how it's too complicated. It's far less complicated than the current play-offs.

New structure - 23 regular round-robin rounds, top 8 play off for 7 games, semis then Grand Final.

Current - 27 regular round-robin rounds, top 8 play off for one week where half are competing for a semi place (losers in quarters) and other half are playing for the quarters, then the quarters, then the semis with a club call, then the Grand Final.

Previous - 27 regular rounds (22 round robin plus 5 extra), top 6 play off with top 2 getting a bye and next 4 playing off for the quarters, then top two playing for a GF spot and next to for semis, then one semi, then the Grand Final.

Seriously, how can it be considered more complicated than the current play off structure?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

I'm bemused that some people can enthuse about the new system when there hasn't even been a decision about how it is going to be financed or governed, and the detail of what will happen to the Championships or Challenge Cup or TV deals or title sponsorships has not been reported (assuming any of the same has even been considered - I know from Twitter that Premier Sports have no idea how this decision will affect them).  There is a massive risk of so much good being undermined which I think is particularly sad after enjoying such a terrific world cup.

The meat will be put on the bones next month.  The important thing about today is that the principle has been passed, the detail will still require negotiation.

I can't understand why people keep saying the top 8 clubs will pull away and will never change. Yet I have gone back to 2007 and we have never had the same teams finish in the top 8 year on year, so what makes people think that it's always going to be the same top 8 from now when facts tell you it won't

Sorry, yes all clubs voted the reduction, it doesn't mean all clubs were in favour of the other restructure.

I don't understand how it's too complicated. It's far less complicated than the current play-offs.

New structure - 23 regular round-robin rounds, top 8 play off for 7 games, semis then Grand Final.

Current - 27 regular round-robin rounds, top 8 play off for one week where half are competing for a semi place (losers in quarters) and other half are playing for the quarters, then the quarters, then the semis with a club call, then the Grand Final.

Previous - 27 regular rounds (22 round robin plus 5 extra), top 6 play off with top 2 getting a bye and next 4 playing off for the quarters, then top two playing for a GF spot and next to for semis, then one semi, then the Grand Final.

Seriously, how can it be considered more complicated than the current play off structure?

they are both daft... have to look at the common denominators that brought in either system.  The current one turned many away from the play-offs, now they hope the new one will bring them back.  I'm not convinced that it won't be at the expense of the regular rounds.

Anyway,,, danger is repeat the whole discussion again.   Hope it works as they hope. Personally I hope repetition doesn't affect me when it gets going. I've half way convincing myself I'll pick and choose games come 2015 and save myself monies.