The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

This will be my last post on the subject, the negativity from the forum "experts" is starting to affect my mental health.

Rugby League is on the up, which I'm sure will be a disapointment to some of you miserable old sods.

We had an amazing world cup

We've got semi pro teams in places you couldn't have imagined 10 years ago, with hopefully 2 more to come.

We've got a structure that gives all clubs something to play for and room to grow.

We've got a title sponsor for both competitions now and they paid hard cash too.

We've got broadcasters competing for our rights for the first time ever.

But lets all have a moan and try to bring it down shall we?

The irony-o-meter has just gone through the roof!

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh - you can get those, can you ?

Phil Clarke probably can.....

On another note.....how come people aren't saying its a travesty that the away support from fev,leigh,fax wont be boosting the numbers at the bottom 8 clubs....... oh hold on they will all still be playing at that level......

Oh - you can get those, can you ?

I've got a vintage one, beautiful mahogany with brass fittings. Made by Eiron & Sons, Normanton.

Does anyone (who is old enough) :) remember when they went to 2 divisions in the early 1970s. Was there as much bickering back then as there is now?

As I recall no bickering whatsoever, it obviously had a different feeling to it as there was a clear pathway back to the "first" which meant something to play for.

If I remember correctly, the play of system for the championship at the time was the top four of a 30+ club league,effectively for 75% of clubs the league season was over very quickly. The new second division gave great impetus and involved quite a few clubs in the challenge for promotion.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

As I recall no bickering whatsoever, it obviously had a different feeling to it as there was a clear pathway back to the "first" which meant something to play for.

If I remember correctly, the play of system for the championship at the time was the top four of a 30+ club league,effectively for 75% of clubs the league season was over very quickly. The new second division gave great impetus and involved quite a few clubs in the challenge for promotion.

It was top four back in 1962, you're right.

By the time of the "second coming" in 1973, it was top sixteen.

Edited by Griff

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Blinkin 'eck, so it was ...

And look at the table.  Wigan avoid the second division on points difference.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I was there, too , aged 16-17-18, for Swinton's brilliant seasons and recall no bickering. - possibly because it is a dim and distant memory of events 50 years ago . There were just not the opportunities or channels for bickering.

I do recall, though, that in those days many league fans were  miserable, negative, pugnacious doom-mongers carrying their victimhood proudly.  At least its not like that now. Well, not in Calder, anyway

Edited by JohnM

Obviously remembered incorrectly, thanks for that Griff, 

Just thinking a little further on this subject or more specifically the timing of the "second coming" isn't there a comparison to be made today in that at that time we had a massive player drain to Aussie which included most of the Ashes winning 1970 series and 1972 World Cup teams.

Now there is food for thought. 

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

I know we all like rugby league folk to speak as they find call a spade a ... and so on.  But, FFS, the deal is done - at least on the restructuring.  Let us lot on here bore on about it but perhaps if the coaches, journalists and the like could focus on selling the game?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The irony-o-meter has just gone through the roof!

aye well there you go.

I was vehemently opposed to licencing and voiced my opinions many times. Regards my stance I was accused of being a flat capper, holding the game back, being morngy, self serving, selfish blah blah blah.

Now we find the game is taking a different direction. A direction I feel represents the whole of the game and is fairer to all. These are just my opinions.

The irony is that some of those who are now doing the whinging are the same who levelled the above accusations.

Still... Water under t'bridge.

For the first time in a very long time I'm positive.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Good to hear it Robin.

I've always tried to be positive and optimistic about the game, even when as now, I think the new set-up is not the best. However, as a fan of the game, I'll do whatever I can in my limited way to make it work. I certainly won't boycott  the game or spend my life feeling hard done to and crying unfair, like some have on here. I  am happy to recommend positivity and optimism as it is generally easier more enjoyable and more pleasant than bearing a misplaced grudge for year after year after year.

BBC Sport @BBCSport 44s

Plans to relegate two teams from Super League this season are "rubbish", says Bradford Bulls coach Francis Cummins http://bbc.in/1ehiYZE

I think he's saying it is rubbish because because they haven't got the cash to splash on decent players and there is a pretty good chance that Bradford could be one of the teams to go down?

I know we all like rugby league folk to speak as they find call a spade a ... and so on.  But, FFS, the deal is done - at least on the restructuring.  Let us lot on here bore on about it but perhaps if the coaches, journalists and the like could focus on selling the game?

It's not the role of a journalist to 'sell' the party line, whatever that may be at the time. Dissent is healthy. Decisions should always be questioned and challenged. The good ones will stand the test of time regardless. The bad ones can only be improved by a bit of scrutiny. Rugby League is strong enough to cope with a few opinions flying around.

I think he's saying it is rubbish because because they haven't got the cash to splash on decent players and there is a pretty good chance that Bradford could be one of the teams to go down?

Well he had better pull his socks up and do the job he is payed for, surely half of the Sky Money should be enough, after all if we read the speculation over the new proposed funding that is what the Championship clubs will get to set their strategy in place.

It's not the role of a journalist to 'sell' the party line, whatever that may be at the time. Dissent is healthy. Decisions should always be questioned and challenged. The good ones will stand the test of time regardless. The bad ones can only be improved by a bit of scrutiny. Rugby League is strong enough to cope with a few opinions flying around.

I agree. However, I can't remember licensing or the giving of grading etc being scrutinised in much detail by the RL press though. I could be wrong.

Edited by a.n Other

aye well there you go.

I was vehemently opposed to licencing and voiced my opinions many times. Regards my stance I was accused of being a flat capper, holding the game back, being morngy, self serving, selfish blah blah blah.

Now we find the game is taking a different direction. A direction I feel represents the whole of the game and is fairer to all. These are just my opinions.

The irony is that some of those who are now doing the whinging are the same who levelled the above accusations.

Still... Water under t'bridge.

For the first time in a very long time I'm positive.

Has anyone opposed to the new format talked about boycotts, or the death of the game, or any of that other nonsense? No. You've won the argument, in the short term anyway, so how about simply enjoying it? 

I'm not sure what's worse, moaning northerners or gloating ones.

Has anyone opposed to the new format talked about boycotts, or the death of the game, or any of that other nonsense? No. You've won the argument, in the short term anyway, so how about simply enjoying it?

I am doing. Immensely. Always have done.

I'm a happy ginger bloke for many reasons at the mo.

Trust me, I'm not gloating. Not really my style though I'm looking forward to my rugby more now than I have in a long time.

love n peace

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

And with that comment you have lost the little bit of credibility you had.

Not sure how I'll manage without your vote of confidence, but I'll give it a go.